Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] vipatlanta@gmail.com is offline

Default opinion on these new curved (aka wrap around monitors)

I saw where alienware and NEC have these new monitors and are showing
them off at CES. Personally I can't wait to give one a test drive
myself. Has anyone seen one up close? Seems like it would be cool to
have in my home studio..

if you haven't seen it, this is what i'm talking about
a href='http://pressthat.com/story.php?
title=Cool_Curved_Wrap_Around_Monitor_from_CES'http://pressthat.com/
story.php?title=Cool_Curved_Wrap_Around_Monitor_fr om_CES/a
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
I saw where alienware and NEC have these new monitors and are showing
them off at CES. Personally I can't wait to give one a test drive
myself. Has anyone seen one up close? Seems like it would be cool to
have in my home studio..

Looks like an acoustic disaster to me. It's bad enough having big flat
sound reflectors sitting right up in front of you... NOW you want to put
a curved thing that will reflect all sound to a single point?

Just sticking flat video monitors in front of your face is a whole lot
worse acoustically than having a console in front of you with a surface
pointed toward the ceiling. And the console is a nightmare of reflections
as it is.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Whealy Chris Whealy is offline

wrote:
I saw where alienware and NEC have these new monitors and are showing
them off at CES. Personally I can't wait to give one a test drive
myself. Has anyone seen one up close? Seems like it would be cool to
have in my home studio..

if you haven't seen it, this is what i'm talking about
a href='http://pressthat.com/story.php?
title=Cool_Curved_Wrap_Around_Monitor_from_CES'
http://pressthat.com/
story.php?title=Cool_Curved_Wrap_Around_Monitor_fr om_CES/a

Looks like its aimed at the gaming market. Any sound hitting the
concave face of that screen will be focussed back to a point - somewhere
where you will not want to be sitting!

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
But the words of the wise are quiet and few.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
straightnut straightnut is offline

On Jan 10, 9:50*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
And the console is a nightmare of reflections
as it is.

I would guess that large consoles couldn't be helped much, but for
small ones that are well within the width of the speakers, how about
side panels high enough to block some of the sound before arriving at
the console? Or what about designing steeply angled consoles or
steeply angles tables for consoles, so the reflections end up more in
your lap than in your ears?

Jeff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

straightnut wrote:
On Jan 10, 9:50=A0am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
And the console is a nightmare of reflections
as it is.

I would guess that large consoles couldn't be helped much, but for
small ones that are well within the width of the speakers, how about
side panels high enough to block some of the sound before arriving at
the console? Or what about designing steeply angled consoles or
steeply angles tables for consoles, so the reflections end up more in
your lap than in your ears?

Yup, all of these have been done, and they all help. Another thing is
to use speakers with very narrow vertical dispersion, which at least
helps keep high frequency slap off the console anyway.

REAL Opinion need on Nearfield Monitors Ben - TheStudioRI.com Pro Audio 36 March 15th 07 12:17 PM
What do you wrap your caps in? [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 10 August 11th 06 01:54 AM
Curved Planar Designs andy Tech 12 April 13th 05 03:19 AM
An opinion on Fostex PM0.5 monitors Dreamist Pro Audio 1 February 22nd 04 01:22 AM
wrap test Mike Pro Audio 14 September 7th 03 05:24 PM