Dennis Herrick

Default hard drive recording and drive speed

I've got a laptop computer iwth a 4200 rpm hard drive. THis seems standard
for laptops. Digidesign suggests and external firewire drive for use with
their protools stuff (mbox, etc.)

I've recorded video directly from my camera on to the computer and it seemed
OK. I can't imagine just audio needing a faster drive.

If I'm only doing a live 2 track recording, am I taking a chance without an
external drive? Is it just ProTools LE that requires the faster drive?

TonyP

"Dennis Herrick" wrote in message
I've got a laptop computer iwth a 4200 rpm hard drive. THis seems standard
for laptops. Digidesign suggests and external firewire drive for use with
their protools stuff (mbox, etc.)

I've recorded video directly from my camera on to the computer and it

seemed
OK. I can't imagine just audio needing a faster drive.

If I'm only doing a live 2 track recording, am I taking a chance without

an
external drive? Is it just ProTools LE that requires the faster drive?

Ignore the bull****, an internal 4200 drive will be fine for 2 channel
recording even at 24/96.
In fact what you don't want is an external FW drive and an external FW audio
interface.

TonyP.

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:50:08 +1000, "TonyP"
wrote:

Ignore the bull****, an internal 4200 drive will be fine for 2 channel
recording even at 24/96.
In fact what you don't want is an external FW drive and an external FW audio
interface.

You probably do want the audio interface. Laptop sound systems are
rarely more than basically adequate, if that.

A 4200 drive is technically able to do the job. But the laptop will
be full of tricks concerned with power economy - particularly when
running on batteries. make sure these don't get in the way of
performance.

I think it's common experience that laptop performance is noticeably
more sluggish than desktop, even with comparable specs and
non-disk-intensive operations.

TonyP

wrote:

Ignore the bull****, an internal 4200 drive will be fine for 2 channel
recording even at 24/96.
In fact what you don't want is an external FW drive *and* an external FW

audio
interface.

You probably do want the audio interface. Laptop sound systems are
rarely more than basically adequate, if that

Which is exactly why you don't want to use the same channel for an external
hard drive. Lap tops rarely have two FW channels.

TonyP.

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:52:38 +1000, "TonyP"
wrote:

In fact what you don't want is an external FW drive *and* an external FW

audio
interface.

You probably do want the audio interface. Laptop sound systems are
rarely more than basically adequate, if that

Which is exactly why you don't want to use the same channel for an external
hard drive. Lap tops rarely have two FW channels.

Ah yes. Sorry, I misread your point.

I was recently shot down in flames elsewhere for suggesting this :-)

I'd experienced problems with Firewire video capture to a Firewire
external drive. Capture to internal drive - OK. Playback from
Firewire drive- OK. Both at once - not OK. But this was apparently
against the rules and couldn't be happening :-)

Laurence Payne

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 07:30:41 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

You can also get the effect of a faster drive by simply upgrading to a far
larger drive. This is often more economical. A lot of laptops are out there
with 6-12 GB drives. Upgrade them to 4200 rpm, 60 GB, and with the same data
they will *fly*.

Because they're bigger? Or because HD technology, even for slower rpm
drives, has improved since the days of 12GB drives?

Arny Krueger

"Laurence Payne" wrote in
message
wrote:

You can also get the effect of a faster drive by simply upgrading to
a far larger drive. This is often more economical. A lot of laptops
are out there with 6-12 GB drives. Upgrade them to 4200 rpm, 60 GB,
and with the same data they will *fly*.

Because they're bigger?

Yep - bits are more dense, given motions get you a lot more data.

Or because HD technology, even for slower rpm
drives, has improved since the days of 12GB drives?

yes, but what really improves the fastest? Answer - recording density.