Patrick Turner

Default ping John Byrns

I replied to a post of yours at ABSE on FM transmitters.

I have been having problems with my ISP's provision of access to ABSE.

Did you see my recent reply made to ABSE with some info about the BA1404
chip?

If my message cannot be seen, then it looks like my existing ISP
has not yet upgraded the server he says he's been having problems with.
An alternative ISP I was considering signing up with also cannot get up
to date instantaneous access to ABSE.

Patrick Turner.

John Byrns

In article , Patrick Turner
wrote:

I replied to a post of yours at ABSE on FM transmitters.

I have been having problems with my ISP's provision of access to ABSE.

Did you see my recent reply made to ABSE with some info about the BA1404
chip?

If my message cannot be seen, then it looks like my existing ISP
has not yet upgraded the server he says he's been having problems with.
An alternative ISP I was considering signing up with also cannot get up
to date instantaneous access to ABSE.

No I didn't see your post on the BA1404 at ABSE. I have heard some bad
reports on the BA1404, saying that it is a little crude in its operation.

I have a Collins 786M-1 Stereo Generator to provide a composite signal for
my single transistor FM transmitter. The Collins 786M-1 is a 19 inch rack
mount 6U size unit, exclusive of the power supply, which has a total of 8
transistors, with no ICs in sight. Since all this transistor stuff is Off
Topic here in the tubes group, to get back on topic I should mention that
as a collector of vintage FM stereo generators I also have an RCA BTS-1A
Stereo Generator, which is a tube based piece of equipment, along with a
Jerrold Cable Television head end FM channel modulator, also built from
tubes, which when modified by the removal of the pre emphasis circuit can
take the composite signal from a stereo generator such as the RCA, making
a complete low power tube based crystal controlled FM stereo transmitter.
Some information on the BTS-1A can be found on my web page.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
Patrick Turner

John Byrns wrote:

In article , Patrick Turner
wrote:

I replied to a post of yours at ABSE on FM transmitters.

I have been having problems with my ISP's provision of access to ABSE.

Did you see my recent reply made to ABSE with some info about the BA1404
chip?

If my message cannot be seen, then it looks like my existing ISP
has not yet upgraded the server he says he's been having problems with.
An alternative ISP I was considering signing up with also cannot get up
to date instantaneous access to ABSE.

No I didn't see your post on the BA1404 at ABSE. I have heard some bad
reports on the BA1404, saying that it is a little crude in its operation.

That confirms what I thought.

I visited my ISP and gave them a piece of my mind about access the ABSE etc,
and apparently they just don't have any idea about setting up servers,
so I have now found someone else who may be able to give me better access.

BA1404 isn't too bad for some simple test gear.
It only goes bit ragged if the supply voltage isn't dead on 1.4 v.

I have a Collins 786M-1 Stereo Generator to provide a composite signal for
my single transistor FM transmitter. The Collins 786M-1 is a 19 inch rack
mount 6U size unit, exclusive of the power supply, which has a total of 8
transistors, with no ICs in sight. Since all this transistor stuff is Off
Topic here in the tubes group, to get back on topic I should mention that
as a collector of vintage FM stereo generators I also have an RCA BTS-1A
Stereo Generator, which is a tube based piece of equipment, along with a
Jerrold Cable Television head end FM channel modulator, also built from
tubes, which when modified by the removal of the pre emphasis circuit can
take the composite signal from a stereo generator such as the RCA, making
a complete low power tube based crystal controlled FM stereo transmitter.
Some information on the BTS-1A can be found on my web page.

All that may well be nice old gear.

The BA1404 does what a large heavy crate full of tubes does.

There is no visible thd on the sine wave traces after detection in most
receiver
I have tested, so I assume
the tester I use contributes less than 1% thd to the audio signal.
Music used as a test signal does not sound too bad.

Patrick Turner.