Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] thegarfcooper@gmail.com is offline

Default live sound mixing with headphones.

I run sound all over town and I have been doing this for years, but
lately I have had some guys requesting headphones. Just for fun I
thought you folks could give me some opinions about why you do it or
why you don't. I personally do not like to mix with headphones but I
will use them to cue or monitor pfl or monitor a sub mix, but i use my
ears instead of my cans to listen to the room.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline

wrote in message
I run sound all over town and I have been doing this for years, but
lately I have had some guys requesting headphones. Just for fun I
thought you folks could give me some opinions about why you do it or
why you don't. I personally do not like to mix with headphones but I
will use them to cue or monitor pfl or monitor a sub mix, but i use my
ears instead of my cans to listen to the room.

Just use your sense of smell: turn it up until you smell the voice coil
burning.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

I run sound all over town and I have been doing this for
years, but lately I have had some guys requesting
headphones. Just for fun I thought you folks could give
me some opinions about why you do it or why you don't. I
personally do not like to mix with headphones but I will
use them to cue or monitor pfl or monitor a sub mix, but
i use my ears instead of my cans to listen to the room.

Exactly. Headphones are good diagnosis tools, but the room mix and the
monitor mixes must be appropriate as heard in the room.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

I mix 50 gigs/year and I never use headphones.
Indeed they can be useful but remember that while you listen to your cans
the audience listen to the room...
F.

I personally do not like to mix with headphones but I
will use them to cue or monitor pfl or monitor a sub mix, but i use my
ears instead of my cans to listen to the room.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Jul 31, 11:07 pm, wrote:
I run sound all over town and I have been doing this for years, but
lately I have had some guys requesting headphones. Just for fun I
thought you folks could give me some opinions about why you do it or
why you don't. I personally do not like to mix with headphones but I
will use them to cue or monitor pfl or monitor a sub mix, but i use my
ears instead of my cans to listen to the room.

I only use headphones live to solo individual mics, or check effects
returns, but if the stage volume level is really high, I'll use
earplugs just to save my own hearing. Some bands have their amps up so
loud that about all you can really do is try to get the vocals to cut
thru the mix. One of the many reasons (including 2nd hand cigarette
smoke, and a bad back) that I don't do live sound much anymore.

-Neb

Help mixing a live recording...please :) StraightEight Pro Audio 1 June 7th 05 02:33 PM
mixing on headphones Rich Wilner Pro Audio 26 May 16th 04 08:43 PM
mixing through headphones Rich Wilner Pro Audio 4 May 13th 04 01:30 AM
Headphones for mixing Dave Pro Audio 9 February 23rd 04 05:04 PM
Headphones for live mixing Willie K.Yee, M.D. Pro Audio 28 November 23rd 03 06:03 PM