DJ

Default Anyone A/B'ed the Furman HDS 16 vs the Mytek Private Q?

I'm getting ready to get one or the other of these. Opinions would be
appreciated.

TIA,

Doug Joyce
Animix Productions
Durango, CO

970-375-7081

Greg Thompson

In article .com,
"DJ" wrote:

I'm getting ready to get one or the other of these. Opinions would be
appreciated.

While I can't say as I've done an A/B, I've done sessions with both
setups. One thing I need to stress with these multichannel headphone
systems is that you need to use efficient low impedance headphones like
Sony 7506 otherwise musicians will complain that the system doesn't get
loud enough.

The Furmans have some nice features.. there's a talkback system of sorts
built into it, but also can lead to musicians leaving their talkback
button in during takes. The Furman also has TT patching right at the
master distribution amp.. so you don't need to spend money on extra
wiring to get into the system. (That is if you already have a TT
patchbay) It also uses funky old printer-cable type connectors to
connect the satellite units.

The Myteks are very clean sounding and intuitive to use, but use DL type
connectors for the satellite units which can be expensive.

Also, try out the Aviom system. They are digital, run 16 channels
(those extra channels come in very handy) and only require you to run an
ethernet cable for connectivity, which makes for cleaner (and cheaper)
cable runs. They're a little less intuitive, but are easy to use with a
30 second tutorial for every band member.

Greg
Bill Thompson

DJ wrote:
I'm getting ready to get one or the other of these. Opinions would be
appreciated.

Not trying to be argumentative... really... but a quick question: are
you using a conventional console or a DAW?

Here's a cheap and not too dirty cue solution if you have a conventional
console, but don't do a lot of bussing while tracking:

I ran an 11 pair (remember when all multipairs were (N*8)+3 pairs???)
from the patchbay to the studio proper. It terminates on 4 multipin
connectors in the wall. Then I built four little mixers with nothing
more than a single chip "power amplifier", a one opamp summing stage,
eight pots and one stereo pot (ok, and some capacitors and resistorsG)
which connect via multipin to the wall connectors. The stereo input is
normalled to the cue mix out on the console. The remaining mono inputs
are patched to 8 of the 16 submix busses as required to give each
performer "more me" in the phones.

This lets me create a basic stereo cue mix which I control, and then
each performer can add a little drum or "me" or whatever to get the mix
they need.

Granted, I had the multipin connectors and cable left over from a
project long forgotten, so this was a really inexpensive project for me.

It is very flexible, and thus far I've had no complaints.

Oh yeah, one last detail, I run the bipolar 18VDC on the 11th pair... if
I were doing it again I probably wouldn't do that... it hasn't caused
any problems yet, but it does make me nervous!

I also considered a 16 mono + 1 sterep arrangement, but my room is
probably too small to hold that many people!!!