Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

Default shotgun mics vs. hypercardioids

"Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Ron Capik" wrote ...
Strangely enough I just saw on the Today Show what looked
like two short shotguns and another (maybe shotgun) mic'
(hidden in a blimp) being used on a 12 man vocal ensemble,
Chanticleer. Then too, it was live TV and not a recording or
PA situation.

Might be worth noting that the mic's were well under
12 feet away and it was a studio situation.

It is *TV sound*. Since when was that a standard for ANY
kind of quality (or even best method)? The choice and placement
of the mics was likely dictated by the (video) director who didn't
want any visible hardware in his camera angles. Audio ALWAYS
takes a back-seat in live television.

I have had to make those kinds of trade-off decisions myself, but
getting good sound always trumped getting good video. You can
sell CDs with good sound and no video, but DVDs with nice pictures
and lousy sound (or no sound) aren't as popular for some reason.

I say this about TV sound: "When movies added sound, a new department was
formed to nurture it. That department exists to this day. When radio
added pictures, sound already was perfected and needed no further
attention." And I made a very good living paying it no attention. ;-)

--
~
~ Roy

useing shotgun mics George's Pro Sound Company Pro Audio 31 October 13th 08 05:21 PM
Shotgun mics [email protected] Pro Audio 23 September 21st 05 11:52 PM
Azden shotgun mics Matt Pro Audio 4 May 12th 05 03:15 PM
FS: Sennheiser MKH804 & MKH805 Shotgun Mics Ron Charles Pro Audio 0 August 29th 03 01:30 AM
FS: Neumann, AKG, Sony Lavs and Shotgun mics. Ron Charles Pro Audio 0 July 31st 03 01:19 PM