Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default What is "reverse gain"

wrote:
I bet a nickel that it means the _gain structure_ is reversed. =A0That is=

,
reverse modifies structure and not gain.

So, in this case (hotter microphone output, thus less gain
on the input trim), what would be "reversed" about the gain
structure?

Not much. I mean, there's less gain at the front of the chain in order
to maintain the same amount of headroom, but it's not as if there is more
gain at the other end. I wouldn't call that reversed. In fact, the real
system gain structure hasn't changed much, it's just that there is more
gain in the mike and less in the preamp.