Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Default EL34 in triode mode with un-bypassed cathode resistors

My recent post about the phasing of OPTs came up because I'm configuring a
tube amp based around the iron from a Sansui 1000A, -- the OPTs are
reputedly made by Tamura or some other high-quality winder.

The OPTs are not UL, which I'd prefer. I could regulate the screen with
Patrick's suggestion using series zener diodes, but I'm a little paranoid
about zener noise. Is it audible? Or visible on a scope?

Anyway, I was looking at a 19 page Mullard spec sheet and noticed that they
show a pair of EL34s in triode mode in PP at 14 watts/ch (enough for this
application) but with just 0.4% distortion using an un-bypassed cathode bias
scheme.

Bypassed the same scheme produced 19 watts but at 1.8% distortion - more
than a 4-fold increase. Doesn't seem that the 5 extra watts are worth it.

The Ra-a goes from 5k for bypassed to 10k for non. My tranny's nominal
impedance is 6.6k. I don't expect too much of a problem.

Has anyone built a comparable EL34 amp in triode mode and left out the
bypass caps? Would be interested in any thoughts or observations.

Thanks.

Jon

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On May 28, 4:20*am, Jon Yaeger wrote:
[...]

You're not comparing like with like, feller. Caps back when that
booklet was written were horrendous. You can do a lot better than 1.8%
with modern caps.

That said, leaving off the bypasses will increase the perceived bass
extension.

But even with that also said, I can't quite find bring myself to
suggest you forego all the advantages of automatic adjustment of your
amp that the cathode bypass caps provide. I like bypass caps, or in
their place batteries.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information for the tube audio
constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site containing vital gems of
wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alex Alex is offline

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message

[...]

If I am not mistaken (Patrick will correct) in an unbypassed triode stage
with the same B+:
- transconductance reduces about two times;
- Ra increases about two times (damping worsens);
- the stage would require doubled drive voltage (can the driver stage
cope?);
- distortion reduces about two times (if the driver stage can cope);
- maximum output power marginally reduces;
- feedback loop stability at low frequencies might marginally improve.

With EL84s I never use bypass capacitors -- these valves have plenty of
transconductance even if it is halved. The same applies to EL34, but drive
voltage will have to be increased to 25...30Vm.

Regards,
Alex

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On May 28, 1:17*am, Andre Jute wrote:

I like bypass caps, or in their place batteries.

a) Batteries have a whole host of problems that beggar cap probems.
b) Even old-style caps - when new - were good caps. That they took up
excess real-estate and aged badly did change their function when-new.
So there is no reason to attribute the results listed in the Mullard
spec.-sheets as the result of "horrendous" caps.

Lastly, the amps you design (or at least have touted here) treat
signal more as a digestive process, not amplification. Along those
lines, almost anything goes. You would probably know that had you ever
actually finished one of them.

By the way, Jon - your tubes are packed and ready to go. You should
see them Saturday, or so.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
KeithR KeithR is offline

Alex wrote:
"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
[...]

To put it in simpler terms, not bypassing the cathode resistor gives you
negative feedback around the stage. That gives the benefis that you
mention above.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] ixtarbrules@yahoo.com is offline

On May 27, 10:20*pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:
My recent post about the phasing of OPTs came up because I'm configuring a
tube amp based around the iron from a Sansui 1000A, -- the OPTs are
reputedly made by Tamura or some other high-quality winder.

The OPTs are not UL, which I'd prefer. *I could regulate the screen with
Patrick's suggestion using series zener diodes, but I'm a little paranoid
about zener noise. *Is it audible? *Or visible on a scope?

Build it and see.

I'd go regulated screen or straight pentode with a good fixed bias
supply. That always works and well.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
Keithr wrote:

Alex wrote:
"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
[...]

An increased Ra is a benefit?

--
Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Jon Yaeger wrote:

My recent post about the phasing of OPTs came up because I'm configuring a
tube amp based around the iron from a Sansui 1000A, -- the OPTs are
reputedly made by Tamura or some other high-quality winder.

The OPTs are not UL, which I'd prefer. I could regulate the screen with
Patrick's suggestion using series zener diodes, but I'm a little paranoid
about zener noise. Is it audible? Or visible on a scope?

The Zener noise is not a huge issue in a PP OP stage because it is
applied common mode to both G2.
You can have say about 3k0 from say anode B+ of say +420V to get say
+350V for the G2. The 3k0 is comprised of say 2k7 plus 270 ohms to a
large 220uF cap, 450V rated, and from this cap you have two 220 ohms 1/4
watt to each G2. But you have a string of 4 x 75V and 1 x 50V zeners
between the junction of 2k7 and 330 to 0V.
Zener noise at the R junction is filtered by the 330 ohms plus 220uF
cap. But zener noise is worst when little current flows.
In this case total Ig2 plus zener current down 3k = 24mA approx. If each
g2 consumed say 5mA, then the zener current = 14mA, which is enough.
This simple shunt regulated Eg2 is good because if a g2 tries to conduct
too much Ig2 then the Eg2 simply sags down and tends to turn off the Ia
of the tubes, but under normal op the regulation I have proposed is
excellent.

Anyway, I was looking at a 19 page Mullard spec sheet and noticed that they
show a pair of EL34s in triode mode in PP at 14 watts/ch (enough for this
application) but with just 0.4% distortion using an un-bypassed cathode bias
scheme.

Bypassed the same scheme produced 19 watts but at 1.8% distortion - more
than a 4-fold increase. Doesn't seem that the 5 extra watts are worth it.

The Ra-a goes from 5k for bypassed to 10k for non. My tranny's nominal
impedance is 6.6k. I don't expect too much of a problem.

Has anyone built a comparable EL34 amp in triode mode and left out the
bypass caps? Would be interested in any thoughts or observations.

There are no schematics at my web site where unbypassed cathode
resistances are used on output tubes, unless they are 10ohm
types merely to monitor the Ia of each tube.

I always bypass Rk on outputs where the class A % of a total AB
power level is substantial, ie, above 1/3 of total PO.

Sometimes I use fixed bias with visual means of checking bias
balance and setting with LEDs and a pot you turn with a finger
nail to make the LEDs light up correctly.

I never advocate or use common cathode resistors without
bypassing like in the original Williamson amp.

The Williamson is a basically good design but you only get 12W in
class A from a pair of EL34/KT66/5881/6L6GC 5tubes in triode so
it is inevitable the amp will move into class AB with todays
insensitive speakers with low Z.
If you configure the OPT to make a load match that ensures only
class A up to clipping, the amp won't have headroom.

So, if you want to leave the Rk unbypassed, and you wish to run
modern speakers then do your home work about load matching for
pure class A and ensuring you have enough class A PO.

The class A PO max for triodes is at best only 30% of the power
dissipated at idle so that rules out a pair of EL34 etc. But if
you have a quad of EL34, you can dissipate 100W and then you get
30W of class A PO.

If you have individual Rk unbypassed on each of the 4 tubes, the
Ro of the amp will be increased and damping factor ruined, so if
you must leave the bypass caps out, at least have the circuit
function as if there was a common Rk for all 4 tubes.

In this case you retain the 4 x Rk and the 4 x Ck you would use
to individually bypass each Rk, but instead of grounding the -ve
end of the 4 caps to 0V, you'd merely have all -ve ends connected
together then use a 10k resistance from the common point to 0V.
This will keep the 4 electros, say 1,000uF each all biased with
the Ek voltage so they'll work properly as capacitors. And it
will allow each 4 Rk to bias each tube to get fairly good Ia
regulation. And it will allow the amp to operate with signal just
like the Williamson with a single Rk to two KT66 cathodes.

This means that while the amp is in pure class A the Rout will
remain low just like with fixed bias or individually bypassed Rk
for each tube.

But as soon as the amp moves into AB, the, one 1/2 of the PP tube
cut off and this leaves the amp to work with an unbypassed Rk and
the Rout rises badly and the distortion rapidly increases.

I have always found the best measurements and best music is
gained with either fixed bias or fully bypassed conventional
individual bypassing of Rk, except that I like to use 1,000uF
across say 470 ohms for Rk instead of their lousy 47uF that Leak
and other dimwits tried to foist upon the public in 1955. Quad
got it wrong with their lousy 40uF across a common 180 ohm Rk.

Williamson amp peformance resulted in 1% THD ( without GNFB )
with a common Rk which was unbypassed. Bypassing it while in
class A makes FA difference, and old W knew that, so it suited
the company bean counters to leave out the cap.
But then they added pots to adjust dc and ac balance, and these
often went up in smoke, and killed many OPTs with tubes becoming
wrongly biased, over biased etc.

I respect the past, but I sure don't wish to ever copy the worst
cheap nasty solutions incorporated routinely into the majority of
the junk designed in 1955.

Read my web site, it saves me having to spell out the obvious (
to me at least ) for the umpteenth time.

Read my pages on load line analysis and how to figure out what
load to use.
If you want class A from EL34, and with Ea = say 420V, and with
triodes, use a much higher value load than 6k6 a-a.

And then try UL with the same load of even higher.

Try things, measure them, find out why it is so, make your own
conclusions and build something useful.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

But batteries merely offer fixed bias which isn't adjustable and tubes
do change over time.

The bypass caps don't do anything to regulate the dc bias; it is the
resistance which regulates the dc bias, with or without a bypass cap.
But the typical Rk of an EL34 PP amp would be say 470 ohms and this has
whatever plate signal current in it plus some screen dc snd screen ac.
In true pentode mode and in class A at typical op conditions the Ra is
increased from about 15k to 65k with an unbypassed 470 Rk.
In triode mode the Ra will rise from about 1.3k with bypassing, to 5.5k
with no bypass cap, or similar to what you'd get with a UL stage with
30% taps. At least 15dB NFB is needed to reduce the Rout to get a
reasonable DF of over 5.

In triode mode, the unbypassed Rk wastes some precious power.
if there is an advatantage, it is that you have local current FB, but it
amounts only to maybe 3dB, which is a negligible amount of NFB, and thus
not worth crowing about.

There is another way to avoid the waste of PO and to get the class A OP
triode stage to keep the dc balance with individual Rk, yet not actuall
bypass both Rk conventionally.

And that is to use the bypass caps, sure, say 1,000 uF each, but have
both their negative ends taken to a 10k resistance to 0V.
The 10k is low enough R to bias the caps properly, but effectively you
have 500uF cathode to cathode so they are effectively tied together at
ac but not at dc. If each Rk = 470 ohms, the effectively you have a
common Rk = 235 ohms.

Williamson only used one Rk, and it allows better cancelling of 2H
currents of each tube while ever the amp works in class A which his amp
was designed for.

The one Rk gives attrocious regulation of Ia for each tube though so I
never do it.

Once the amp works in class AB, THD rises alarmingly with a single Rk
for both tubes unless you have some means of keeping Ek constant which
is why fixed bias is chosen for AB op. A PP triode amp with EL34 can
give about 1.5% THD at just below clip if the driver amp has negligible
THD; they don't, so always expect 2% minimum THD from PP triodes without
GNFB, with pure class A1.

In class AB where the AB PO = 2 x class A PO the THD may be 4%, and with
pentodes perhaps 5%, and its all odd order junk, mainly 3H, some 5H and
7H etc.

Leak used normal cathode bias with 2 x 600 ohms plus 2 x 47uF. OK, but
that 47uF was a lousy value, and should have been 470uF.
Lousy deals were wot yer got from tube amp makers in 1955. Quad-II had
180 ohms common Rk plus 40uF. Total bean counter bull ****!
Williamson had common Rk and no bypass caps but had adjust pots. I've
seen many that went up in smoke, and again, it was attrocious
engineering. There were no LEDs and transistors to build a nice little
bias current monitoring circuit so you would know when a tube was
becoming unbiased, and you would be protected against an errant tube
losing bias control and toasting 1/2 an OPT winding. No nice little SCRs
which react to over bias, and turn the amp off for you when you have
forgotten to turn it off and a tube goes west at 2am.

Meanwhile, Allen Wright thinks that having a common CCS to commoned
cathodes of the two OP tubes is the best thing for PP **pure class A**
OP stages. This effectively has the PP tubes working "seamlessly" in
series on the RLa-a and makes the OP stage drivable at only 1 grid with
the other tied to 0V, so a single ended drive stage is used without any
"phase splitter". The drive voltage then becomes rather high if large
tubes are used.
But it works a treat with EL84, but to get some decent triode PO you
need a lot of them. With added complications, you can include separate
Rk to all tubes used with conventional bypass caps but where *all* these
things are normally taken to 0V, you have a CCS down to a negative
voltage rail. Or even a choke!!

With a high Z in the common cathode circuit there can be virtually zero
common mode current signal in the two OP tubes. Therefore the absence of
such currents leads to less IMD of all the wanted differential currents
which comprise the wanted audio output currents.

Such a PP circuit is no worse than an SE OP, but gives twice the PO of
one tube but with much less THD. You cannot have class AB PO which is
the situation with an SE stage. Everyone should realise there are plenty
of SE amps which sound better than PP amps if they have enough watts,
and all the watts are pure class A. Many PP amps are forced to work into
heavy AB to make the same PO and the sonics are worse than the SE amp.
I'd rather have two EL34 in parallel SE triode and making 12W than have
a pair of EL84 in pentode making the same 12W in low bias PP AB1.

Patrick Turner.

,

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information for the tube audio
constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site containing vital gems of
wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Staring at old audio chassis as a hobby :) Staring at old audio chassis as a hobby :) is offline

Hi RATs!

I took out the bypass caps on my triode EL34 P-P with "Blumlein
garters".

They were/are 560uF 50V Panasonic electrolytics. They worked very well
about a year of 24/7 at 53-55V as "training wheels".

They have been out for about a day. I doubt they will go back in

The amp had more than adequate gain.

It still sounds like recordings, but better than yesterday, pre-snip.

I know overnight is not an accurate test. But it sounds so good, I
don't care ...

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Staring at old audio chassis as a hobby " wrote:

Hi RATs!

I took out the bypass caps on my triode EL34 P-P with "Blumlein
garters".

They were/are 560uF 50V Panasonic electrolytics. They worked very well
about a year of 24/7 at 53-55V as "training wheels".

They have been out for about a day. I doubt they will go back in

The amp had more than adequate gain.

It still sounds like recordings, but better than yesterday, pre-snip.

I know overnight is not an accurate test. But it sounds so good, I
don't care ...

Happy Ears!
Al

Without the bypass caps but with the same garter set up and with pure
class A the THD will not have changed much, although the amp Rout must
be higher. You will have a more complex signal arrangement because 1/2
the current FB signal at one cathode will be fed back to the grid of the
other tube. But its subject to the division by the R divider formed by
Rg and the Rout of the driver triodes, and so will have minimal effect
because Rout is much lower than Rg.

Happy listening Al,

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Fred[_8_] Fred[_8_] is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

Right On!

Happy listening, Al!

If it sounds good, it IS good!

Fred

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Staring at old audio chassis as a hobby :) Staring at old audio chassis as a hobby :) is offline

On May 27, 10:20�pm, Jon Yaeger wrote:

My recent post about the phasing of OPTs came up because I'm configuring a
tube amp based around the iron from a Sansui 1000A, -- the OPTs are
reputedly made by Tamura or some other high-quality winder.

/ SNIP

Thanks.

Jon

Hi RATs!

I think Sansui was a fine transformer winder before they made "whole
stereos".

Just a vague memory of someone's post, long ago.

Happy Ears!
Al
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Al wrote

I think Sansui was a fine transformer winder before they
made "whole
stereos".

Just a vague memory of someone's post, long ago.

http://www.sansui.us/History.htm

Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Jun 10, 12:00*pm, "Staring at old audio chassis as a hobby "
wrote:
I like clarity and
dynamics.

Some folks would rather eat well.

DON'T ENCOURAGE THE HOOLIGANS TO EAT CRISPS IN THE CONCERT!

Just gossip and rumors ...

Ah, well, if it's just a rumor, that's all right then.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 10, 4:17�pm, Andre Jute wrote:

DON'T ENCOURAGE THE HOOLIGANS TO EAT CRISPS IN THE CONCERT!

Hi RATs!

At the Minnesota Orchestra Hall, some visiting baton twirler was
making a recording, so, they had huge barrels of free cough drops in
the lobby.

I like lemon, but some took menthol. They let anyone buy tickets.

The concert crowd may have been quieter than average, but, I never
heard the recording

Life trudges on.

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Jun 16, 11:28*am, "Staring at old audio chassis as a hobby "
wrote:
On Jun 10, 4:17 pm, Andre Jute wrote:

DON'T ENCOURAGE THE HOOLIGANS TO EAT CRISPS IN THE CONCERT!

Hi RATs!

At the Minnesota Orchestra Hall, some visiting baton twirler was
making a recording, so, they had huge barrels of free cough drops in
the lobby.

I like lemon, but some took menthol. They let anyone buy tickets.

The elite isn't what it used to be. I blame rock'n'roll.

The concert crowd may have been quieter than average, but, I never
heard the recording

There was a recording broadcast on the EBU (the music was an instantly
forgettable world premiere) on which one can hear the Mexican
Ambassador first click his fingers and then say, "What? What?" The
"Oof!" in between is my elbow connecting with his ribs.

Andre Jute
Reformed petrol head
Car-free since 1992
Greener than thou!

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:
[...]

Wasn't one famous concert recording made in Germany in 1945 and you
could hear the bombs landing in the background while the violins played
on....?

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 17, 2:01*am, Patrick Turner wrote:

Andre Jute
Reformed petrol head - Because I cannot afford one
Car-free since 1992 - after too many DUI convictions
Greener than thou! - That would be the mold, I also glow in the dark.

Wasn't one famous concert recording made in Germany in 1945 and you
could hear the bombs landing in the background while the violins played
on....?

Paris - Wanda Landowska. Harpsichord.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 17, 5:46�am, " wrote:

Paris - Wanda Landowska. Harpsichord.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Hi RATs!

The bombs would be a nice relief ...

Happy Ears!
Al

PS Harpsichord and Bagpipes - you really must love music

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 17, 8:46*am, "Staring at old audio chassis as a hobby "
wrote:

Hi RATs!

The bombs would be a nice relief ...

Happy Ears!
Al

PS Harpsichord and Bagpipes - you really must love music

Umm... well, Wanda's iron-clad specially-made M1A1 Harpsichord might
give that impression. But as a general species they can be
particularly wonderful. Some works for solo harpsichord do also happen
to fit into that very, very limited range of music that it is possible
to reproduce using flea-powered SET amplifiers as the dynamic range is
severly limited.

Bagpipes, on the other hand, were developed as battlefield instruments
to instill fear in one's enemies. With that in mind, they live up to
the need.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jun 17, 5:46�am, " wrote:

Paris - Wanda Landowska. Harpsichord.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Hi RATs!

The bombs would be a nice relief ...

Happy Ears!
Al

PS Harpsichord and Bagpipes - you really must love music

Could have been the old conductor farting after eating sourcrout that
was past its use by date.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

wrote:

Hi RATs!

The bombs would be a nice relief ...

Happy Ears!
Al

PS Harpsichord and Bagpipes - you really must love music

Umm... well, Wanda's iron-clad specially-made M1A1 Harpsichord might
give that impression. But as a general species they can be
particularly wonderful. Some works for solo harpsichord do also happen
to fit into that very, very limited range of music that it is possible
to reproduce using flea-powered SET amplifiers as the dynamic range is
severly limited.

Indeed. But the limited volume levels and low dynamic range didn't stop
the younger set from gathering around and having a ball at parties in
1800 as the instrument was that era's equivalent of an electric guitar,
all jangly and kinda noisy.

Bagpipes, on the other hand, were developed as battlefield instruments
to instill fear in one's enemies. With that in mind, they live up to
the need.

But only when the men not playing the pipes all lift their kilts and
flash brown eyes to the approaching enemy.

Patrick Turner.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA