Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

Default A background rumble appears in a sound from microphone in Sound blaster Live.

Hello!
A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from microphone.
Windows XP SP2.
I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble decreases if
I touch the computer case. I checked the inside of the case, did not
find any improper contacts. The sound card is Creative sound blaster
live ct4830. I tried the latest Microsoft and Creative drivers. The
Creative driver does not output sound from microphone to speakers at
the same time, but only from a recording from the microphone. How to
prevent the rumble?
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

"D" wrote ...
A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from
microphone. Windows XP SP2.

In common use, "rumble" applies to low frequency *random noise*
such as from an air duct or a subway train or from a distant highway.

If you are hearing interference from your power mains (presumably
50Hz if you are posting from Russia), that is called "hum" and it is a
very *constant* tone.

We will assume that you mean that you are hearing interference
from power-line hum. If it is *rumble*, then it is acoustic and you
should be able to hear it with your ears, no headset, no computer.

I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble decreases if
I touch the computer case. I checked the inside of the case, did not
find any improper contacts. The sound card is Creative sound blaster
live ct4830. I tried the latest Microsoft and Creative drivers. The
Creative driver does not output sound from microphone to speakers at
the same time, but only from a recording from the microphone. How to
prevent the rumble?

Does it hum when no headset is plugged in?
If so, then there is a problem with the computer or sound card.
If no, then *both* of your headsets have a problem

Does the hum change when you move the headset around
the room?

Does it hum when you try using a differen computer mic?

rcrowley posting from rec.audio.pro

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:34:04 -0700, D wrote:

Hello!
A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from microphone.
Windows XP SP2.
I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble decreases if
I touch the computer case. I checked the inside of the case, did not
find any improper contacts. The sound card is Creative sound blaster
live ct4830. I tried the latest Microsoft and Creative drivers. The
Creative driver does not output sound from microphone to speakers at
the same time, but only from a recording from the microphone. How to
prevent the rumble?

Is "rumble" a precise term or are we chasing a mains hum?
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

D wrote in
oups.com:

Hello!
A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from
microphone. Windows XP SP2.
I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble
decreases if I touch the computer case.

IMO, this undoubtedly means you have a ground problem. As if
"about 50 Hz" was not enough of a tipoff. It's always 50 or 60.

But it MAY just be a totally crappy microphone. Try another one,
preferably a good one.

If it's NOT the microphone, I am not a technician so I can't
tell you how to fix it, but first thing you should do is check
that everything to do with you system is plugged into the SAME
AC circuit, preferably same outlet with power bar(s), and then
you can buy or borrow (or steal I suppose) a little gizmo which
you plug into the wall outlet and it tells you if everything's
OK. Other than that, ask a technician.

I checked the
inside of the case, did not find any improper contacts. The
sound card is Creative sound blaster live ct4830. I tried
the latest Microsoft and Creative drivers. The Creative
driver does not output sound from microphone to speakers at
the same time, but only from a recording from the
microphone.

That si impossible. Check your mixer volumes, mutes etc.
Watch out for feedback, it can be VERY unpleasant, but no sound
card manufacturer will disable mic to speakers direct just
because of that.

How to prevent the rumble?
Best regards,
Dima

--
Waiting for the day when it is illegal to use anything but Vista
on any computer in the world.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
kráftéé kráftéé is offline

D wrote:
Hello!
A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from microphone.
Windows XP SP2.
I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble decreases
if I touch the computer case. I checked the inside of the case, did
not find any improper contacts. The sound card is Creative sound
blaster live ct4830. I tried the latest Microsoft and Creative
drivers. The Creative driver does not output sound from microphone
to speakers at the same time, but only from a recording from the
microphone. How to prevent the rumble?
Best regards,
Dima

What are you recording, I know you state form a microphone, but are
you plugging in something else into the microphone socket? If so that
would be the problem try plugging it into the line in socket.

If it is a microphone then make sure that it is being fully pushed
home, if it is then try another one (they aren't exactly expesinve).

Others have mentioned ground loops etc, but try the easy bit (normally
the cheapest bits) first.

As a matter of fact I get a continual low level 50hz hum from my line
in post unless I actually plug something into it then it dissapears,
so you could also try turning off all ports you are not using before
doing your recording.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 16, 1:45 am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"D" wrote ...

[...]

Thanks Richard Crowley for your explanations!
It does not hum when no headset is plugged in.
One of the headsets is brand new and checked.
Yes, the hum changes when I move the headset around the room: the
further from the computer case the louder.
Yes, it hums when I try using a differen computer mic: both headsets.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 16, 3:34 am, Laurence Payne NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:34:04 -0700, D wrote:
Hello!
A background (about 50hz) rumble appears in a sound from microphone.
Windows XP SP2.
I tried two headsets (which surely are good). The rumble decreases if
I touch the computer case. I checked the inside of the case, did not
find any improper contacts. The sound card is Creative sound blaster
live ct4830. I tried the latest Microsoft and Creative drivers. The
Creative driver does not output sound from microphone to speakers at
the same time, but only from a recording from the microphone. How to
prevent the rumble?

Is "rumble" a precise term or are we chasing a mains hum?

Yes, we are chasing a mains hum.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 16, 11:08 am, thanatoid wrote:
D wrote groups.com:

[...]

Thanks thanatoid for your suggestions!
I checked my mixer volumes, mutes etc. and did not find anything
wrong. I uninstalled the Creative driver.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 16, 2:06 pm, "kráftéé" wrote:
D wrote:
[...]

Thanks kráftéé for your suggestions!
I checked with brand new headset - the same.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

"D" wrote ...
It does not hum when no headset is plugged in.

Then you can eliminate any problem with the computer,
the sound card, or any software including drivers, etc.

One of the headsets is brand new and checked.

What does "checked" mean? Do either of the headsets work
OK on another computer?

Yes, the hum changes when I move the headset around the room: the
further from the computer case the louder.

I would take a wild guess that it has a shielding or grounding problem.

Yes, it hums when I try using a differen computer mic: both headsets.

The problem may be with the basic design if both headsets
show the same symptoms.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

D wrote in
oups.com:

Thanks kráftéé for your suggestions!
I checked with brand new headset - the same.

Sounds like it's not the mic, but you may have a short of some
kind or ground loop in your headphone connection. If the
headphone connection is at the front of your machine, a
technician has to check it.

If it's a jack on the soundcard, you can remove the sound card
and take it to a technician without having to take the whole
computer over there.

--
Waiting for the day when it is illegal to use anything but Vista
on any computer in the world.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 17, 1:44 am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"D" wrote ...

It does not hum when no headset is plugged in.

Then you can eliminate any problem with the computer,
the sound card, or any software including drivers, etc.

One of the headsets is brand new and checked.

What does "checked" mean? Do either of the headsets work
OK on another computer?

Yes, the hum changes when I move the headset around the room: the
further from the computer case the louder.

I would take a wild guess that it has a shielding or grounding problem.

Yes, it hums when I try using a differen computer mic: both headsets.

The problem may be with the basic design if both headsets
show the same symptoms.

Theanks Richard Crowley for your suggestions!
The hum is from speakers, not from the case. Yes, either of the
headsets work OK on another computer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 17, 1:44 am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"D" wrote ...

It does not hum when no headset is plugged in.

Then you can eliminate any problem with the computer,
the sound card, or any software including drivers, etc.

One of the headsets is brand new and checked.

What does "checked" mean? Do either of the headsets work
OK on another computer?

Yes, the hum changes when I move the headset around the room: the
further from the computer case the louder.

I would take a wild guess that it has a shielding or grounding problem.

Yes, it hums when I try using a differen computer mic: both headsets.

The problem may be with the basic design if both headsets
show the same symptoms.

Thanks Richard Crowley for your suggestions!
The hum is from speakers, not from the case.
Yes, either of the headsets work OK on another computer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Bob I Bob I is offline

The problem is likely caused by the combination of "speakers" being
disconnected by the insertion of the head phones AND the volume knob of
the speakers being cranked up rather high. Now the speakers are
amplifying the hum of the little power wart.

D wrote:

On Oct 17, 1:44 am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:

"D" wrote ...

It does not hum when no headset is plugged in.

Then you can eliminate any problem with the computer,
the sound card, or any software including drivers, etc.

One of the headsets is brand new and checked.

What does "checked" mean? Do either of the headsets work
OK on another computer?

Yes, the hum changes when I move the headset around the room: the
further from the computer case the louder.

I would take a wild guess that it has a shielding or grounding problem.

Yes, it hums when I try using a differen computer mic: both headsets.

The problem may be with the basic design if both headsets
show the same symptoms.

Thanks Richard Crowley for your suggestions!
The hum is from speakers, not from the case.
Yes, either of the headsets work OK on another computer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

"D" wrote ...
The hum is from speakers, not from the case. Yes, either of the
headsets work OK on another computer.

Then it is possible that the sound card has a problem.
Since the sound card feeds power into the microphone in
the handset, the filter capacitor on the microphone power
may have a problem that is letting 50Hz hum get injected
into whatever microphone is connected. You would not
hear this unless a microphone was connected. Since the
headsets work OK on another computer, that casts the
suspicion back on the sound card.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:15:59 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"D" wrote ...
The hum is from speakers, not from the case. Yes, either of the
headsets work OK on another computer.

Then it is possible that the sound card has a problem.
Since the sound card feeds power into the microphone in
the handset, the filter capacitor on the microphone power
may have a problem that is letting 50Hz hum get injected
into whatever microphone is connected. You would not
hear this unless a microphone was connected. Since the
headsets work OK on another computer, that casts the
suspicion back on the sound card.

Perhaps the sound card just has the problem that it's a Soundblaster
Live! and you're using the mic input. A SB's Line in/out is
acceptable quality but the mic input is a joke.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

D wrote in
ups.com:

On Oct 17, 1:55 am, thanatoid
wrote:
D wrote
gr

oups.com:

Thanks kráftéé for your suggestions!
I checked with brand new headset - the same.

Sounds like it's not the mic, but you may have a short of
some kind or ground loop in your headphone connection. If
the headphone connection is at the front of your machine,
a technician has to check it.

If it's a jack on the soundcard, you can remove the sound
card and take it to a technician without having to take
the whole computer over there.

--
Waiting for the day when it is illegal to use anything but
Vista on any computer in the world.

Thanks thanatoid for your suggestions!

You're welcome and good luck. Check if a new sound card isn't
cheaper than fixing yours!
Creative is basically OK and ultra-compatible although
perfectionists complain about the sound/specs.
M-Audio if you're a musician or have very good ears.
Turtle Beach is pretty good too if you can find one.

--
Waiting for the day when it is illegal to use anything but Vista
on any computer in the world.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

D wrote:
On Oct 17, 1:44 am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:

"D" wrote ...

It does not hum when no headset is plugged in.

Then you can eliminate any problem with the computer,
the sound card, or any software including drivers, etc.

One of the headsets is brand new and checked.

What does "checked" mean? Do either of the headsets work
OK on another computer?

Yes, the hum changes when I move the headset around the room: the
further from the computer case the louder.

I would take a wild guess that it has a shielding or grounding problem.

Yes, it hums when I try using a differen computer mic: both headsets.

The problem may be with the basic design if both headsets
show the same symptoms.

Thanks Richard Crowley for your suggestions!
The hum is from speakers, not from the case.
Yes, either of the headsets work OK on another computer.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bob I for your explanation!
How can the speakers amplify the hum of the little power wart if they
are disconnected by the insertion of the head phones?
A Sony ECM-T6 microphone and another desk-top microphone don't hum! A
new Koss sb/45 headset and Philips SBC HM300 headset hum from their
microphones.
How to make Koss sb/45 headset microphone work?
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 18, 3:59 am, Laurence Payne NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com
wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:15:59 -0700, "Richard Crowley"

wrote:
"D" wrote ...
The hum is from speakers, not from the case. Yes, either of the
headsets work OK on another computer.

Then it is possible that the sound card has a problem.
Since the sound card feeds power into the microphone in
the handset, the filter capacitor on the microphone power
may have a problem that is letting 50Hz hum get injected
into whatever microphone is connected. You would not
hear this unless a microphone was connected. Since the
headsets work OK on another computer, that casts the
suspicion back on the sound card.

Perhaps the sound card just has the problem that it's a Soundblaster
Live! and you're using the mic input. A SB's Line in/out is
acceptable quality but the mic input is a joke.

Thanks Richard Crowley and Laurence Payne for your explanations!
A Sony ECM-T6 microphone and another desk-top microphone don't hum! A
new Koss sb/45 headset and Philips SBC HM300 headset hum from their
microphones.
How to make Koss sb/45 headset microphone work?
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 18, 8:19 am, thanatoid wrote:
D wrote roups.com:

On Oct 17, 1:55 am, thanatoid
wrote:
D wrote
gr

oups.com:

[...]

on any computer in the world.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks thanatoid for your explanations!
A Sony ECM-T6 microphone and another desk-top microphone don't hum! A
new Koss sb/45 headset and Philips SBC HM300 headset hum from their
microphones.
How to make Koss sb/45 headset microphone work?
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Bob I Bob I is offline

D wrote:

[...]

The speakers are only disconnected from the audio source, the "wall
wart" is still powering the speakers amplifier. Try turning the volume
knob down or unplug the speakers little power supply.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

D wrote in
oups.com:

SNIP

Thanks thanatoid for your explanations!
A Sony ECM-T6 microphone and another desk-top microphone
don't hum! A new Koss sb/45 headset and Philips SBC HM300
headset hum from their microphones.
How to make Koss sb/45 headset microphone work?
Best regards,
Dima

IIRC, any Sony mic with the prefix ECM is a quality product -
although even Sony is not what it once was, sadly. That used to
be a prefix for their professional mic line, but that may have
changed.

Nothing which is NOW called professional IS - if it says
"professional" or worse, "professional quality", DON'T buy it.
If it's professional, you'll know it by where it is sold and how
much it costs. All "computer" microphones, headphones, and
speakers are TRASH and always will be.

Koss was a very good brand 35 years ago. It is trash now. The
name was bought by some jerks - like it has happened with MANY
formerly good brands - and now they sell junk with a formerly-
good brand name on it. Put it in the garbage where it belongs.

If you want a decent headset/mic combo that will work properly
and does not have wires inside touching where they shouldn't
etc., you will need to spend a fair bit of money. I am talking
Sennheiser, Beyer, etc. Hundreds of dollars. NOT made in China
****.

Much cheaper to get a gooseneck desk stand for your mic and use
the 2 separate devices. Easier on your head physically, as well,
and doesn't get in the way of enjoying your coffee or vodka. (Or
both together.)

--
Waiting for the day when it is illegal to use anything but Vista
on any computer in the world.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

D wrote:

[...]

The speakers are in a headset. There are no other speakers. A "wall
wart" is not powering a headset.
Why does the hum appear from a headset microphone only, not from a
separate microphone?
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 19, 2:51 am, thanatoid wrote:
D wrote groups.com:

SNIP

[...]

A table stand microphone requires to keep a mouth in one place, 2
centimetres from the microphone all the time to catch minimum
background noise. A headset microphone does not require.
Why does the hum appear from a headset microphone only, not from a
separate even small and cheap microphone?
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

D wrote in
oups.com:

On Oct 19, 2:51 am, thanatoid
wrote:
D wrote
groups.co
m:

SNIP

[...]

not require. Why does the hum appear from a headset
microphone only, not from a separate even small and cheap
microphone? Best regards,
Dima

OK but this is my LAST reply.

A GOOD unidirectional microphone (like possibly your Sony) does
NOT require anything like you describe. 5-10 cm is more than
sufficient.

A gooseneck can be moved VERY easily, the best way is to screw a
flange mount directly onto the desk (they're about $3) and screw
on a gooseneck of your preferred length (with a mic clip) on the
end on to the flange.

A good gooseneck is very stable, and $25 is certainly better
than $200 for a medium-good headset, IMHO. But maybe you're very
rich. I have heard things about the Russian Mafia ;-)

The reason your headsets HUM is because they are CRAP and wires
are not properly isolated from each other. Borrow a $350 one
from a radio station or a DJ or something and you will find out.

ANY set of walkman/iPod head/earphones and a decent
unidirectional mic is the most cost-effective chat (or whatever)
setup.

If you don't like goosenecks and don't want hum, get a $400
Sennheiser headset and a $30 adapter so you can use it with your
sound card.

Over and out.

Regards
t.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 18, 8:19 am, thanatoid wrote:
D wrote roups.com:

On Oct 17, 1:55 am, thanatoid
wrote:
D wrote
gr

oups.com:

[...]

Dear thanatoid,
Sony ECM-T6 microphone does not hum!
New headset Koss sb/45 and headset Philips SBC HD300 hum from their
microphones!
Why do headsets hum? They work well on another computer.
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Bob I Bob I is offline

D wrote:

On Oct 19, 1:37 am, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

[...]

The confusion comes from the misuse of the term "speaker". The sound
producing components in a headset are called "headphones" or "earphones"
not "speakers", the condition I described applies to powered speakers
not headphones or earphones.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 19, 10:09 am, thanatoid wrote:
D wrote groups.com:

On Oct 19, 2:51 am, thanatoid
wrote:
D wrote
groups.co
m:

SNIP

[...]

The ferther a mouth from a microphone the smaller a difference in
volume between a sound from mouth and a background noise.
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 19, 4:40 pm, Bob I wrote:
D wrote:
On Oct 19, 1:37 am, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

[...]

not headphones or earphones.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bob I for replying!

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 19, 4:40 pm, Bob I wrote:
D wrote:
On Oct 19, 1:37 am, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

[...]

The headsets hum from their microphones even through another sound
card Creative SB 16, although they do not hum on another computer.
How to prevent the hum?
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Martin Harrington Martin Harrington is offline

Aren't we over this discussion, it really isn't one for a pro audio group.
Please stop cross posting.
--
Martin Harrington
Lend An Ear Sound
"D" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 19, 4:40 pm, Bob I wrote:
D wrote:
On Oct 19, 1:37 am, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Sergio Sanmiguel Sergio Sanmiguel is offline

On Oct 17, 6:59 pm, Laurence Payne NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com
wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:15:59 -0700, "Richard Crowley"

wrote:
"D" wrote ...
The hum is from speakers, not from the case. Yes, either of the
headsets work OK on another computer.

Then it is possible that the sound card has a problem.
Since the sound card feeds power into the microphone in
the handset, the filter capacitor on the microphone power
may have a problem that is letting 50Hz hum get injected
into whatever microphone is connected. You would not
hear this unless a microphone was connected. Since the
headsets work OK on another computer, that casts the
suspicion back on the sound card.

Perhaps the sound card just has the problem that it's a Soundblaster
Live! and you're using the mic input. A SB's Line in/out is
acceptable quality but the mic input is a joke.

Maybe is just that that's all you can expect from a $50 gamer
soundcard...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
D D is offline

On Oct 19, 4:40 pm, Bob I wrote:
D wrote:
On Oct 19, 1:37 am, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

[...]

Dima- Hide quoted text -

Martin Harrington! You just have cross posted to
rec.arts.movies.production.sound, 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general!

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:15:59 -0700, "Richard Crowley"

wrote:
"D" wrote ...
The hum is from speakers, not from the case. Yes, either of the
headsets work OK on another computer.

Then it is possible that the sound card has a problem.
Since the sound card feeds power into the microphone in
the handset, the filter capacitor on the microphone power
may have a problem that is letting 50Hz hum get injected
into whatever microphone is connected. You would not
hear this unless a microphone was connected. Since the
headsets work OK on another computer, that casts the
suspicion back on the sound card.

Perhaps the sound card just has the problem that it's a Soundblaster
Live! and you're using the mic input. A SB's Line in/out is
acceptable quality but the mic input is a joke.

Maybe is just that that's all you can expect from a $50 gamer
soundcard...- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Sergio Sanmiguel for your replying!
No, the soundcard works well with a separate (not in a headset)
microphone. Another card works the same.
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:15:59 -0700, "Richard Crowley"

wrote:
"D" wrote ...
The hum is from speakers, not from the case. Yes, either of the
headsets work OK on another computer.

Then it is possible that the sound card has a problem.
Since the sound card feeds power into the microphone in
the handset, the filter capacitor on the microphone power
may have a problem that is letting 50Hz hum get injected
into whatever microphone is connected. You would not
hear this unless a microphone was connected. Since the
headsets work OK on another computer, that casts the
suspicion back on the sound card.

Perhaps the sound card just has the problem that it's a Soundblaster
Live! and you're using the mic input. A SB's Line in/out is
acceptable quality but the mic input is a joke.

Maybe is just that that's all you can expect from a $50 gamer
soundcard...- Hide quoted text -

Hello!
Microphones with a battery do not hum. Why?
How to make microphones without a battery not hum?
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
kráftéé kráftéé is offline

D wrote:
-
Hello!
Microphones with a battery do not hum. Why?

Because the power is not being supplied by your PC?

How to make microphones without a battery not hum?

By making sure the card & microphone are fully compatable & that
you're not pushing your PC power supply to the limit as they tend to
get a little unstable if you continually do.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

"D" wrote ...
Microphones with a battery do not hum. Why?

Because the battery is independent of the mains power.

That confirms that the problem is coming from the mains-
derived microphone power coming through the sound card.

How to make microphones without a battery not hum?

Replace the sound card with one that works properly.
(Or just continue to use the battery.)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 24, 12:23 am, "kráftéé" wrote:
D wrote:

-

Hello!
Microphones with a battery do not hum. Why?

Because the power is not being supplied by your PC?

How to make microphones without a battery not hum?

By making sure the card & microphone are fully compatable & that
you're not pushing your PC power supply to the limit as they tend to
get a little unstable if you continually do.

Thanks kráftéé for your answer!
There are no microphone requirements on the Creative site for SB live
or 16.
Who to make sure that I'm not pushing my PC power supply to the limit?
Best regards,
Dima