Talbot

Default Why I ditched Linux and Went Back To Windows XP (Don't waste your time on a Linux Studio)

I'm a musician with a very limited budget and little time to fool around
with computers. If I had a 48 track Studer in my studio I would be happy,
but I dont. I have an Intel system with a P4 3.0ghz and 2gig of memory and
plenty of hard disk space. I have an RME card which works great.

When I started my studio, my CS minor got the best of me and guided me
toward Linux because Linux is free, supposedly offers quality applications
and seemed like a good choice for a person on a budget like me.
However, I quickly learned that the cost of software was a minor point
compared to the time needed to set it up.
I really wanted Linux to work, really I did, but after 3 months of
screwing around, surfing the net, looking for help, exchanging emails with
developers and pulling my hair out I finally gave up trying to make Linux
work for me.
Sure Linux looked like the best solution to the suits paying th bills, but
for me, it was a mess.
I literally could not get anything to work consistantly with anything else.
Jack worked sometimes and refused to work other times.
Audacity clobbered some of my source files.
Ardour would all of a sudden decide I had no direct access to the sound
device and refuse to work.

Sorry but after a couple of months of that kind of crap, I gave Linux the
boot.

So now I use Windows and life is great.
I can't even begin to tell you how much of a difference there is.
Programs install and actually tell you where they are.
Programs actually work.
I don't have to end soundsystems and start other ones in order to make
stuff work.

Good bye Linux and a quick piece of advice to anyone in the biz thinking
of saving a buck, don't waste your time.

filesiteguy

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:27:56 -0500, Talbot wrote:

I'm a musician with a very limited budget and little time to fool around

Jack worked sometimes and refused to work other times.
Audacity clobbered some of my source files.
Ardour would all of a sudden decide I had no direct access to the sound
device and refuse to work.

Sorry but after a couple of months of that kind of crap, I gave Linux the
boot.

Sorry to hear of your issues.

Linux works great for me.

Of course, I'm not a musician. I imagine you use expensive proprietary
software which handles your MIDI, synth, etc...

Good luck downgrading to windows.

Talbot

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:51:10 -0800, filesiteguy wrote:

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:27:56 -0500, Talbot wrote:

I'm a musician with a very limited budget and little time to fool around

Jack worked sometimes and refused to work other times.
Audacity clobbered some of my source files.
Ardour would all of a sudden decide I had no direct access to the sound
device and refuse to work.

Sorry but after a couple of months of that kind of crap, I gave Linux the
boot.

Sorry to hear of your issues.

Linux works great for me.

My Commodore 64 can read email and print letters.

Of course, I'm not a musician. I imagine you use expensive proprietary
software which handles your MIDI, synth, etc...

I use software that WORKS.
I can easily find FREE software for Windows that works reasonably well.
Not as good as the commercial stuff, but FAR, FAR better than ANYTHING
Linux has to offer.
In fact, I got software with my Soundcard, with my DVD with my CDROM that
worked FAR better than anything Linux has to offer.

Good luck downgrading to windows.

Downgrading?
Hah!
That's your opinion, and an uneducated one at that.
Why not graduate into the real world and understand that while Linux may
do some things well, desktop computing is not one of them.

BTW how can anyone downgrade any lower than from Linux where the
applications simply do not work?
It doesn't get any worse than that does it?

Amol Vaidya

Didn't we just get done with this thread two minutes ago?

It's really too bad that you can't get Linux to work for you, as it is,
in my opinion, *much* better than Windows. Given, every OS has its
advantages and disadvantages, but when you match up Linux with Windows
you'll see that the advantages of Linux heavily outweigh its disadvantages.

I find it difficult to believe that you have a hard time finding good
software on Linux, simply because there is a plethora of choices offered
to you. If you don't like something, there's always an alternative.
"Applications don't work?" On the contrary, the applications work with
far greater efficiency than I have ever seen with Windows. I believe
that statement should read, "I can't get my applications to work."

I also fail to understand how you can say that Linux is a difficult OS.
As I said before, my 11 year-old sister can use it without any
difficulty, and she's not at all computer savvy.

Liam Slider

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:27:56 -0500, Talbot wrote:

I'm a musician with a very limited budget and little time to fool around
with computers. If I had a 48 track Studer in my studio I would be happy,
but I dont. I have an Intel system with a P4 3.0ghz and 2gig of memory and
plenty of hard disk space. I have an RME card which works great.

snip
Good bye Linux and a quick piece of advice to anyone in the biz thinking
of saving a buck, don't waste your time.

You must just be retarded then, he's just one webpage listing *some* of
the musicians who make music using Linux, many of them with home setups.

http://sound.condorow.net/music.html

They seem to do it easily enough.

Talbot

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:14:16 -0600, Liam Slider wrote:

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:27:56 -0500, Talbot wrote:

I'm a musician with a very limited budget and little time to fool around
with computers. If I had a 48 track Studer in my studio I would be happy,
but I dont. I have an Intel system with a P4 3.0ghz and 2gig of memory and
plenty of hard disk space. I have an RME card which works great.

snip
Good bye Linux and a quick piece of advice to anyone in the biz thinking
of saving a buck, don't waste your time.

You must just be retarded then, he's just one webpage listing *some* of
the musicians who make music using Linux, many of them with home setups.

http://sound.condorow.net/music.html

They seem to do it easily enough.

Who are they?

I work with Keith Richards, Steely Dan, Aerosmith, John Mayer, Norah Jones.....

So who are these people in your list?

sycochkn

As far as recording I avoid computers as much as possible. Condensor
microphones near any computer seem pickup all kinds of snap crackles and
pops. Editing is another story.

Bob

"Talbot" wrote in message
[...]

Liam Slider

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:24:20 -0500, Talbot wrote:

I work with Keith Richards, Steely Dan, Aerosmith, John Mayer, Norah
Jones.....

Sure you do. How long have you been off your meds?
mjt

Talbot wrote:

I'm a musician with a very limited budget

yawn
--
http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com/
If God had not given us sticky tape, it would

7

Talbot wrote:

I'm a musician with a very limited budget and little time to fool around
with computers.

Wrong you are a paid astro turfer for M$.
You would not be posting unless you get paid.

There are hundreds of GNU/Linux LiveCDs out there
some of them dedicated to music such as DynBolic
Its done up by techies and all free.

Tim Smith

In article , Talbot wrote:
I work with Keith Richards, Steely Dan, Aerosmith, John Mayer, Norah
Jones.....

I don't think ripping their CDs to MP3 in MusicMatch counts as "working"
with them.

--
--Tim Smith
Gregory Toomey

Talbot wrote:

I'm a musician with a very limited budget and little time to fool around
with computers. If I had a 48 track Studer in my studio I would be happy,
but I dont. I have an Intel system with a P4 3.0ghz and 2gig of memory and
plenty of hard disk space. I have an RME card which works great.

Yawn. Weekly Flatfish troll.

Look for comp.os.linux.advocacy & alt.os.linux.suse.

gtoomey
DeserTBoB

wrote:

Good bye Linux and a quick piece of advice to anyone in the biz thinking
of saving a buck, don't waste your time. snip

WinBlowz was developed to keep idiots away from UNIX-based OSs.

dB
DeserTBoB

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:58:02 -0500, Talbot
wrote:

I use software that WORKS. snip

WinBlowz software that WORKS??? WHERE?

Downgrading?
Hah!
That's your opinion, and an uneducated one at that. snip

Obviously, you have only an undergrad acquaintance with hardware and
OSs, which Billy Gates has onerously slanted toward his WinBlowz scam.
If you have any UNIX background, you wouldn't be saying this.

dB

Richard Crowley

"Amol Vaidya" wrote ...
I also fail to understand how you can say that Linux is a difficult
OS. As I said before, my 11 year-old sister can use it without any
difficulty, and she's not at all computer savvy.

I'd bet that she didn't install any software or re-compile the kernel,
etc. etc. etc.

Peter Köhlmann

begin Talbot wrote:

I'm a musician with a very limited budget ...

snip

Hi flatfish

or
Aftab Singh, allison_hunt1969, Anna Banger, anonymous, Baba Booey, Babu
Singh, bill.gates.loves.me, bison, Bjarne Jensen, BklynBoy, Charlie,
Choppers McGee, Christine Abernathy, Claire Lynn, Collie Entragion,
Deadpenguin, Elliot Zimmermann, Fawn Lebowitz, flatfish+++, foamy, Gary
Stewart, gilligan, GregÂ*Laplante, Heather, Heather69, hepcat, Ishmeal
Hafizi, itchy balls, IvanaBSuckyB, Jeff Szarka, juke_joint, kathy_krantz,
Les Turner, Lilly, Lindy, long_tong_ling, Lukumi Babalu Aye, Major Mynor,
McSwain, Moses, nate_mcspook, okto_pussy, PaddyÂ*Â*McCrockett,Â*Patricia,
phoung quoak, pickle_pete, Poopy Pants McGee, Quimby, rothstein_ivan, Saul
Goldblatt, Sean, Sean Fitzhenry, Sean Macpherson, Sewer Rat, sewer_clown,
Spammy_Davis, spanny_davis, Stephan Simonsen, Stephen, SunnyB, Susan Wong,
Suzie Wong, Swampee, The Beaver, Thorsten, Tracee, trailerpark, Wang
Mycock, Whizzer, Wilbur J, Willy Wong, Winnie Septos,Wobbles and zyklon_C.
Plus many, many, many more.
--
You are a shining example for the advances in artificial stupidity

Wald

Talbot wrote:

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:14:16 -0600, Liam Slider wrote:

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:27:56 -0500, Talbot wrote:

I'm a musician with a very limited budget and little time to fool
around with computers.

I work with Keith Richards, Steely Dan, Aerosmith, John Mayer, Norah
Jones.....

Somehow those two statements kind of contradict each other...

Wald
Peter Köhlmann

begin Wald wrote:

Talbot wrote:

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:14:16 -0600, Liam Slider wrote:

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:27:56 -0500, Talbot wrote:

I'm a musician with a very limited budget and little time to fool
around with computers.

I work with Keith Richards, Steely Dan, Aerosmith, John Mayer, Norah
Jones.....

Somehow those two statements kind of contradict each other...

Just don't assume that flatfish will lie somewhat coherently

filesiteguy

Talbot wrote:

Jack worked sometimes and refused to work other times.
Audacity clobbered some of my source files.
Ardour would all of a sudden decide I had no direct access to the sound
device and refuse to work.

Sorry to hear of your issues.

Linux works great for me.

My Commodore 64 can read email and print letters.

Oh, well, there's your issue. You will probably have a terrible time getting
Linux to run on a C64 - you might try upgrading to at least an Amiga 500.

Seriously, though, I have used Audacity extensively in both Linux and Win2K.
It works great in both environments. I tried out Ardour a few times, seems
to work fine.

You think I'd be using Linux if it didn't work?

Get a ****ing clue!

Of course, I'm not a musician. I imagine you use expensive proprietary
software which handles your MIDI, synth, etc...

I use software that WORKS.
I can easily find FREE software for Windows that works reasonably well.
Not as good as the commercial stuff, but FAR, FAR better than ANYTHING
Linux has to offer.
In fact, I got software with my Soundcard, with my DVD with my CDROM that
worked FAR better than anything Linux has to offer.

Good luck downgrading to windows.

Downgrading?
Hah!
That's your opinion, and an uneducated one at that.

Yes, that's me very educated opinion.

Why not graduate into the real world and understand that while Linux may
do some things well, desktop computing is not one of them.

Seems to work fine, here, bubba.

BTW how can anyone downgrade any lower than from Linux where the
applications simply do not work?

Um, let's think this through a sec - if apps didn't work, would people be
using Linux? No. Like I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't use Linux or any OS
if it doesn't work. I used Windows just fine for ten years, until the
******* downgrade XP (NT 5.1) came out. At this point I see Linux as a
better OS than Windows.

It doesn't get any worse than that does it?

Yes, I could be using WinXP, SP2. I spent two hours yesterday removing
****ing spyware and adware from my uncle's machine running XP Pro, SP2.
There were 398 spyware programs running in active memory and 643 adware
instances on the machine.

You tell me which is the lesser OS.

--
kai
www.filesite.org

Pokeweed

begin Talbot tripped and bashed his head on a wrought iron chair and spewed:

I'm an idiot.

The chair loves you though.
Pokeweed

begin Talbot piddled around and finally wrote:

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:14:16 -0600, Liam Slider wrote:

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:27:56 -0500, Talbot wrote:

I'm a musician with a very limited budget and little time to fool around
with computers. If I had a 48 track Studer in my studio I would be happy,
but I dont. I have an Intel system with a P4 3.0ghz and 2gig of memory and
plenty of hard disk space. I have an RME card which works great.

snip
Good bye Linux and a quick piece of advice to anyone in the biz thinking
of saving a buck, don't waste your time.

You must just be retarded then, he's just one webpage listing *some* of
the musicians who make music using Linux, many of them with home setups.

http://sound.condorow.net/music.html

They seem to do it easily enough.

Who are they?

Many people far smarter and more talented than you appear to be.

I work with Keith Richards, Steely Dan, Aerosmith, John Mayer, Norah
Jones.....

Riiiiiiiight. How long did it take you to look those names up on the internet?
Luckily your original post was stupid enough to let everyone know to wear
rubber boots around you, 'cause your bull**** gets deep.

chrisv

Talbot wrote:

I'm a musician with a very limited intelligence

You got that right.

*plonk*

Amol Vaidya

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Amol Vaidya" wrote ...

I also fail to understand how you can say that Linux is a difficult
OS. As I said before, my 11 year-old sister can use it without any
difficulty, and she's not at all computer savvy.

I'd bet that she didn't install any software or re-compile the kernel,
etc. etc. etc.

She's still on 2.4, so no, she hasn't recompiled her kernel, but she
installs everything herself. Quite honestly, it's not hard reading
installation instructions and following them.

Roger Christie

Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.
"Talbot" wrote in message
[...]

See, now thats just stupid.

Roger Christie

"Talbot" wrote in message
[...]

Right. Pull the other one.

Ranando King

Let's be perfectly honest here. All Linux distros have exactly 3 weaknesses:

1. A lack of decent, fully functional, audio content creation tools
(Talbot's complaint)
2. A lack of driver support for some cheap and/or relatively uncommon pieces
of harware (mosly because of companies being "tight-lipped" about supporting
linux)
3. A lack of support for popular commercial games (currently being solved by
the Wine package)

Fortunately, other than this, Linux Distros make for a far better OS than
any variation of Windows.
Unfortunately, people tend to care a lot about these 3 issues to some
degree, so as their skill allows, they do as they will. I dual-boot, as well
as run Windows under VMware on Linux. Others will forego Linux altogether as
Talbot did. I understand where he's comming from with the audio tools. I
still haven't found tools for Linux that work as well as CoolEdit Pro 2.0
and Cakewalk HomeStudio 2K4. Rosegarden 4 is getting close to replacing
Cakewalk, but is still requires some work. DAP can't even lay a finger on
CoolEdit Pro, so I'm still looking for a substitute on the Audio Editing and
Filtering end.

Don't be afraid to admit that Linux still needs work! Even in it's present
state, it's far better than Windows for most tasks... just not everything
yet.

R.

"Amol Vaidya" wrote in message
[...]

Conor

In article Ranando King says...
Let's be perfectly honest here. All Linux distros have exactly 3 weaknesses:

1. A lack of decent, fully functional, audio content creation tools
(Talbot's complaint)
2. A lack of driver support for some cheap and/or relatively uncommon pieces
of harware (mosly because of companies being "tight-lipped" about supporting
linux)
3. A lack of support for popular commercial games (currently being solved by
the Wine package)

Fortunately, other than this, Linux Distros make for a far better OS than
any variation of Windows.

You mean other than the three most important things to do with a PC,
Linux distros make for a far better OS.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Conor

In article ray says...

There are indeed a few niche markets where MS software works and the Linux
equivalent is not there yet - I haven't been able to find greeting card
software for Linux; but it meets all my other needs - photo manipulation,
browing the web, word processing, spreadsheet, digital signal analysis, .
. . At least with Linux I have a choice if I don't want to put up with
MS's insane 'activation policies'.

WPA isn't a problem unless you're a software pirate. Even then, there's
Win2K.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Richard Crowley

"Ranando King" wrote in message
Let's be perfectly honest here. All Linux distros have exactly 3
weaknesses:

1. A lack of decent, fully functional, audio content creation tools
(Talbot's complaint)
2. A lack of driver support for some cheap and/or relatively uncommon
pieces
of harware (mosly because of companies being "tight-lipped" about
supporting
linux)
3. A lack of support for popular commercial games (currently being
solved by
the Wine package)

Most users consider their computers to be tools and platforms
for the application softare they want to use. Most of them DO NOT
want to become computer experts just to do email, surf the web,
or run a game, etc.

Paul Ciszek

Amol Vaidya wrote:

Richard Crowley wrote:
I'd bet that she didn't install any software or re-compile the kernel,
etc. etc. etc.

She hasn't recompiled her kernel, but she installs everything herself.
Quite honestly, it's not hard reading installation instructions and
following them.

Has she installed a wireless LAN card? Successfully? If so, can I
send her my desktop computer and have her install mine?

I can't find any local computer helper guys who do Linux.

--
Please reply to: | "When you are dealing with secretive regimes
pciszek at panix dot com | that want to deceive, you're never going to

Rick

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:23:44 +0000, Paul Ciszek wrote:

In article ,
Amol Vaidya wrote:

Richard Crowley wrote:
I'd bet that she didn't install any software or re-compile the kernel,
etc. etc. etc.

She hasn't recompiled her kernel, but she installs everything herself.
Quite honestly, it's not hard reading installation instructions and
following them.

Has she installed a wireless LAN card? Successfully? If so, can I
send her my desktop computer and have her install mine?

I can't find any local computer helper guys who do Linux.

Installation procedure for a wireless lan card in my laptop:

Put it in. Use lan.

--
Rick

james of tucson

On 2004-12-27, Kadaitcha Man wrote:

Give the bitch this and see how far she gets...

You are rude and unreasonable. What were you hoping to accomplish?
To un-do the Linux phenomenon? Sure, it's not quite the most versatile
platform for A/V as yet, but your hostile attitude is wholly
unjustified.

james of tucson

On 2004-12-27, Ranando King wrote:

Let's be perfectly honest here. All Linux distros have exactly 3 weaknesses:

1. A lack of decent, fully functional, audio content creation tools
(Talbot's complaint)

There is at least one distribution that is completely dedicated to this
task, and at least one of them boots from a live CD and runs Rosegarden.
I don't know of any other system that can make this particular boast. I
sure as hell haven't seen a bootable CD that, alone, can take a machine
from NO OS, to running Cubase. Yeah, I know Rosegarden isn't Cubase.
That's not my point. There is audio software for Linux, and some of it
is quite good. It needs your help. If you don't want to help, just
walk away. You don't really need to criticize it. It didn't bite you
or steal your lollipop. And it's not going to go away, or even diminish
in popularity just because you don't care for it. (Not so much directed
at you, as at the troll, pointless as that may be).

2. A lack of driver support for some cheap and/or relatively uncommon pieces
of harware (mosly because of companies being "tight-lipped" about supporting
linux)

Somehow, this has gotten much better in the past year or so. Echo/Event
devices, RME/Digi devices, etc., have ALSA drivers.

I'm still looking for a substitute on the Audio Editing and
Filtering end.

I'm not so much "looking for a substitute", as "anticipating something
revolutionary that makes Windows programs obsolete." To me, that would
really be a necessary and sufficient condition to say "this platform was
truly, inherently superior."

I think this will happen when some consumer device is pressed into
service in some clever way that it's designer did not intend. Some
game console that happens to have 24-bit audio and digital video
capabilities, let's say. I'm not imaginative enough to predict the
future. But I do believe that Windows, stuck on the Wintel platform,
will be left in the dust as soon as the hardware is something else.
Apple won't port MacOS to anything else, but Linux will be there the
next day. That will make Linux the first OS to the marketplace on some
next generation of hardware. It will be accepted, it's by no means an
immature technology. Think about it.

Pokeweed

Amol Vaidya wrote:

Richard Crowley wrote:
I'd bet that she didn't install any software or re-compile the kernel,
etc. etc. etc.

She hasn't recompiled her kernel, but she installs everything herself.
Quite honestly, it's not hard reading installation instructions and
following them.

Has she installed a wireless LAN card? Successfully? If so, can I
send her my desktop computer and have her install mine?

I can't find any local computer helper guys who do Linux.

Installation procedure for a wireless lan card in my laptop:

Put it in. Use lan.

The ****hole is too stoopid to figure out how to use google or yahoo or ask in
a mailing list, and now you've made him out to be too stoopid to own a computer
at all. You're a cruel *******.
Pokeweed

begin Conor piddled around and finally wrote:

In article Ranando King says...
Let's be perfectly honest here. All Linux distros have exactly 3 weaknesses:

1. A lack of decent, fully functional, audio content creation tools
(Talbot's complaint)
2. A lack of driver support for some cheap and/or relatively uncommon pieces
of harware (mosly because of companies being "tight-lipped" about supporting
linux)
3. A lack of support for popular commercial games (currently being solved by
the Wine package)

Fortunately, other than this, Linux Distros make for a far better OS than
any variation of Windows.

You mean

Correct...you're a ****ing moron. Next question.

steve

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:27:56 -0500, Talbot wrote:
I really wanted Linux to work, really I did, but after 3 months of
screwing around, surfing the net, looking for help, exchanging emails with
developers and pulling my hair out I finally gave up trying to make Linux
work for me.

You will of course be able to cite these emails as I can find no evidence
of you posting to any NGs with your problems.

pioe[rmv]

Conor wrote:

WPA isn't a problem unless you're a software pirate.

Unfortunately, it is the other way around.

If you /are/ a software pirate, Product Activation does not matter
because you use a cracked version anyway.

If you are /not/ a software pirate and do not want to be one, Product
Activation means that whether you install on your machine today,
tomorrow or on the computer you may buy in the future, you are forever
dependent on the software manufacturer and their "activation" service
in order to work with your own data.

That is unacceptable, and even more so if you are not a software pirate.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway