I'm a Trampoline

Default iPod Head Unit Integration

I know of Alpine's system, do any other makers have anything in the
works? I mean for full browsing of the iPod using the head unit.

I think Alpine's head units are ugly as sin, that's the only thing
that'd keep me from buying one.

Leon

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:37:11 +1200, I'm a Trampoline
wrote:

I know of Alpine's system, do any other makers have anything in the
works? I mean for full browsing of the iPod using the head unit.

I think Alpine's head units are ugly as sin, that's the only thing
that'd keep me from buying one.

Blaupunkt, most of their newer HUs and get a cradle.

Bye,
Leon
I'm a Trampoline

wrote:

I know of Alpine's system, do any other makers have anything in the
works? I mean for full browsing of the iPod using the head unit.

I think Alpine's head units are ugly as sin, that's the only thing
that'd keep me from buying one.

Blaupunkt, most of their newer HUs and get a cradle.

Do you have a link?

You're not thinking of the Dension ICE-Link system are you? AFAIK that
doesn't provide the facility for browsing the iPod from the HU, just
some very limited navigation. If my information is out of date or you're
meaning something else, I'd be delighted to be corrected.
Leon

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:05:41 +1200, I'm a Trampoline
wrote:

Leon wrote:

Blaupunkt, most of their newer HUs and get a cradle.

Do you have a link?

You're not thinking of the Dension ICE-Link system are you? AFAIK that
doesn't provide the facility for browsing the iPod from the HU, just
some very limited navigation. If my information is out of date or you're
meaning something else, I'd be delighted to be corrected.

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/ipod_cradle.asp

I wish there was something for the nomad jukebox. Closed design
sucks.

Bye,
Leon

I'm a Trampoline

Leon wrote:

Blaupunkt, most of their newer HUs and get a cradle.

Do you have a link?

You're not thinking of the Dension ICE-Link system are you? AFAIK that
doesn't provide the facility for browsing the iPod from the HU, just
some very limited navigation. If my information is out of date or you're
meaning something else, I'd be delighted to be corrected.

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/ipod_cradle.asp

I wish there was something for the nomad jukebox. Closed design
sucks.

That's Dension's system there. It's even pictured with a Dension HU in
the background, which is ironic, considering their HU's are decicated
hard drive systems themselves (one even comes with a removable hard
drive that doubles as a limited-featured portable player). The Alpine
system is quite a step above this cradle accessory when it comes to
integration with the iPod.
Adrion

Leon wrote:

[...]

pioneer has a new accessory coming out, based on this email i received
today:

We want to tell you about a unique CD deck we have on the market. We
traveled around the country gathering feedback from mobile audio
enthusiasts. The idea was simple, ask people what they want and then
give it to them. The result is our DEH-P8MP, a deck that insists on
being noticed.

Standing Out In a Crowd
As you can see from the graphic above the DEH-P8MP with its single
rotary dial and deep blue dot-matrix OEL display looks unlike anything
else you will see in stores.

Primed for Downloaded Music
Not just looks, this unit is tailored for those that download music.
The 7-way rotary commander (dial) has the ability to easily search
through files and folders of MP3, WMA and WAV music. In addition,
there is a new Bit Media eXpander (BMX) that gives your MP3, WMA and
WAV files richer sound quality by bringing back some of the lost
harmonics of the music that were lost in compression.

iPod™ Adapter Ready
Not only is it built with downloaded music in mind but this deck will
also work the Pioneer iPod™ Adapter (CD-IB100) we will be introducing
this spring.

More Power and Cleaner Sound
The DEH-P8MP delivers a full 60 watts x 4 channels. That extra power
will make your music cleaner and crisper with less distortion.
I'm a Trampoline

Adrion wrote:

iPod™ Adapter Ready
Not only is it built with downloaded music in mind but this deck will
also work the Pioneer iPod™ Adapter (CD-IB100) we will be introducing
this spring.

Cool. IMO Pioneer make the 2nd most goudy looking HUs after Alpine, but
it's a start.
Leon

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:51:08 +1200, I'm a Trampoline
wrote:

Leon wrote:

[...]

Thanks for clarifying.

Bye,
Leon
Steve Grauman

The Alpine
system is quite a step above this cradle accessory when it comes to
integration with the iPod.

Maybe I missed it, but exactly why is the Alpine system better than this cradle
connector? As long as the iPod can be controlled via the CD buttons on the
deck, I'd be happy. Of course, one should question if iPod integration is
really worthwhile when systems like Kenwood's MuiscKeg and the PhatNoise system
work so well. My iPod's main purpose is for travel.
Steve Grauman

I'm a Trampoline

Steve Grauman wrote:
The Alpine

system is quite a step above this cradle accessory when it comes to
integration with the iPod.

Maybe I missed it, but exactly why is the Alpine system better than this cradle
connector?

The Dension system allows you to step back and forth through the tracks
in the current playlist of album, as well as fastforward and rewind (and
stop and start I assume). The Alpine system allows you to browse to
specific content, i.e. to select different playlists/albums as well as
the songs within, with descriptive information on screen to allow this.

That's how I understand it anyway, I could be wrong on the finer points.
In general, with the Alpine system, you don't need to touch the iPod
(you could hide it in the glove box), with Dension's, you do.

As long as the iPod can be controlled via the CD buttons on the
deck, I'd be happy. Of course, one should question if iPod integration is
really worthwhile when systems like Kenwood's MuiscKeg and the PhatNoise system
work so well. My iPod's main purpose is for travel.
Steve Grauman

Unless you don't want the hassle of maintaining two hard drive based
music collections. It seems a bit inelegant to me. Ultimately, I'd like
to see home stereos and head units to have a vcr-like slot where you can
stick your portable, and a shared protocol amongst manufactures for this.
stuuuu

www.ipodmycar.com

maybe these guys can help when they go online

--
stuuuu
stuuuu's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=30907

OldOneEye

Look at how well Rockford Fosgate did with the OmniFi (look at the
streetprice, from $599 down to $299 in the last few weeks) and Kenwood
dropped their prices on the Music Keg as well.

People might not mind having two HD based music sources, but why
bother? Why would I want a Music Keg and an Ipod if they do the same
thing? Like having a portable cellular phone and an installed phone in
my car.

Juan

--
OldOneEye