David Kistner

Default Do antenna's degrade and "wear out" over time?

If an antenna is not corroded, does it degrade with age? I have a 17
year old car (an old Volvo) with the original antenna. I've recently
replaced the HU and speakers, and was wondering if I needed to replace
the antenna. If so then is there a brand that I should look for, or are
all antenna's about the same in quality? Thanks in advance for your help.

- David Kistner
Kevin McMurtrie

In article IUZ9d.447$Rp4.69@trnddc01,
David Kistner wrote:

If an antenna is not corroded, does it degrade with age? I have a 17
year old car (an old Volvo) with the original antenna. I've recently
replaced the HU and speakers, and was wondering if I needed to replace
the antenna. If so then is there a brand that I should look for, or are
all antenna's about the same in quality? Thanks in advance for your help.

- David Kistner

Big old whip antennas work great. Keep it.

Maybe your new radio isn't very good. Stock radios may not sound good
but their tuners generally work much better than aftermarket
replacements.