Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

Default $6800 Audioquest cables

Despite an apparent 20% saving, reviewers at Amazon just don't seem to
be taking the offer seriously :-)

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-...pr_product_top

One refurbished for a mere $5k!

I also noticed that 17% of people who viewed these cables bought
$12.99 RCA speaker wire instead! How could they?

Anyway, read the customer reviews - they're rather amusing.

Rob

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 21:20:59 -0800, Rob Tweed wrote
(in article ):

Despite an apparent 20% saving, reviewers at Amazon just don't seem to
be taking the offer seriously :-)

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-terminated-speaker-
cable/dp/B000J36XR2/ref
=cm_cr_pr_product_top

One refurbished for a mere $5k!

I also noticed that 17% of people who viewed these cables bought
$12.99 RCA speaker wire instead! How could they?

Anyway, read the customer reviews - they're rather amusing.

Rob

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com

Yeah, How could they, indeed! After all, at only 523 times the price of the
Radio Shack cables, the Audioquests are a bargain, right? And I've this
suspension bridge, conveniently located in New York City, between Manhattan
and Brooklyn that I'll gladly sell you cheap!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

On 11/29/2010 12:20 AM, Rob Tweed wrote:
Despite an apparent 20% saving, reviewers at Amazon just don't seem to
be taking the offer seriously :-)

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-...pr_product_top

Anyway, read the customer reviews - they're rather amusing.

In case Amazon decides to take down the reviews, I'll post a couple here
for posterity:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I have only a little time..., November 15, 2010
By Whisper

This review is from: AudioQuest K2 terminated speaker cable - UST plugs
8' (2.44m) pair (Electronics)

We live underground. We speak with our hands. We wear the earplugs all
our lives.

PLEASE! You must listen! We cannot maintain the link for long... I will
type as fast as I can.

DO NOT USE THE CABLES!

We were fools, fools to develop such a thing! Sound was never meant to
be this clear, this pure, this... accurate. For a few short days, we
marveled. Then the... whispers... began.

Were they Aramaic? Hyperborean? Some even more ancient tongue, first
spoken by elder races under the red light of dying suns far from here?
We do not know, but somehow, slowly... we began to UNDERSTAND.

No, no, please! I don't want to remember! YOU WILL NOT MAKE ME REMEMBER!
I saw brave men claw their own eyes out... oh, god, the screaming... the
mobs of feral children feasting on corpses, the shadows MOVING, the
fires burning in the air! The CHANTING!

WHY CAN'T I FORGET THE WORDS???

We live underground. We speak with our hands. We wear the earplugs all
our lives.

Do not use the cables!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If only Heracles had such power!, March 19, 2009
By
Valannin "Pantheon Outcast"

This review is from: AudioQuest K2 terminated speaker cable - UST plugs
8' (2.44m) pair (Electronics)

If there is one cable I would whole-heartedly trust to my
Chimera-hunting needs, this would be the cable. No other cable has the
tensile strength to properly and efficiently garrote a lycanthrope,
asphyxiate an Esquilax or even gag a mermaid. Last week, using my trusty
AudioQuest K2 (retrofitted with lead weights, bright orange latex paint
and a generous coating of crushed glass stolen from the window of an
abandoned church at midnight), I managed to snuff 3 golden unicorns in
swift succession!

Pros: Quickly tears through scales, fur, bone, and adamantium with ease
Coils and uncoils from hip holster (optional) quickly and quietly
For a product fabricated from 1,000 Onyx Dragon fetuses, the price is
unbelievably reasonable!

Cons: Shipping from the R'lyeh took far too long
Doesn't come in 10' lengths (which would be perfect for hydra, cerberii
and other multi-headed creatures)
After every use, I can feel 6 ounces of my soul slipping from my core
into the ether. But this may be due to the fact that I prefer to work
without gloves. YMMV.

Overall, I would recommend that any hunter buy one, nay, two, of these
immediately, and experience the difference that upgrading to the K2 will
make in your next quest!

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Nov 29, 12:20=A0am, Rob Tweed wrote:
Despite an apparent 20% saving, reviewers at Amazon just don't seem to
be taking the offer seriously :-)

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-...cable/dp/B000J...

One refurbished for a mere $5k!

How do you refurbish a cable?!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"bob" wrote in message

On Nov 29, 12:20=A0am, Rob Tweed
wrote:
Despite an apparent 20% saving, reviewers at Amazon just
don't seem to be taking the offer seriously :-)

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-...cable/dp/B000J...

One refurbished for a mere $5k!

How do you refurbish a cable?!

Perform a simple continuity test, wipe it off with a cloth, and run it
through the packaging line, again.

A good deal of so-called refurbished product never had any fault other than
not being wanted, once obtained.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 04:50:06 -0800, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"bob" wrote in message

On Nov 29, 12:20=A0am, Rob Tweed
wrote:
Despite an apparent 20% saving, reviewers at Amazon just
don't seem to be taking the offer seriously :-)

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-...cable/dp/B000J...

One refurbished for a mere $5k!

How do you refurbish a cable?!

Perform a simple continuity test, wipe it off with a cloth, and run it
through the packaging line, again.

A good deal of so-called refurbished product never had any fault other than
not being wanted, once obtained.

Yeah, that makes sense, Some guy buys it for $6800, realized that it did
nothing that the $12 Radio Shack cable he replaced with it didn't do, and
sent it back for a refund.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
: "bob" wrote in message
0:
: How do you refurbish a cable?!

: Perform a simple continuity test, wipe it off with a cloth, and run it
: through the packaging line, again.

: A good deal of so-called refurbished product never had any fault other than
: not being wanted, once obtained.

I can't speak to the cable world, but for a lot of technology
(computers and electronics, as well as more mechanical things like tools)
an item sold as refurbished is very likely to have gone through more
rigorous testing before being returned to market than a typical new unit
of the same type. So it works, and costs less to boot. I suppose very high end
audio equipment may be tested thoroughly unit-by-unit, but there are likely
exceptions.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Nov 30, 7:50=A0am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"bob" wrote in message

How do you refurbish a cable?!

Perform a simple continuity test, wipe it off with a cloth, and run it
through the packaging line, again.

IOW, the second time they sell it, they make sure it conducts
electricity first.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 03:50:50 -0800, bob wrote
(in article ):

On Nov 29, 12:20=A0am, Rob Tweed wrote:
Despite an apparent 20% saving, reviewers at Amazon just don't seem to
be taking the offer seriously :-)

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-...cable/dp/B000J...

One refurbished for a mere $5k!

How do you refurbish a cable?!

I dunno, put new connectors on it, perhaps? All I can tell you is at that
price, the cable had better be solid gold. It won't be a very good conductor
of an audio signal (compared to copper), but at least, by weight, it might be
worth what AudioQuest is asking for it - because that's the ONLY way it would
be!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

On 11/29/2010 12:20 AM, Rob Tweed wrote:
Despite an apparent 20% saving, reviewers at Amazon just don't seem to
be taking the offer seriously :-)

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-...pr_product_top

Anyway, read the customer reviews - they're rather amusing.

Frankly, I didn't find the reviews amusing at all. Usually, things that
are predictable aren't funny.

My comment is: who bloody cares? Yes, there are expensive - gasp! even
overpriced! - audio products. So what? It is easy to find overpriced
merchandise is almost any product category. Some people find value in
these products. So what? What difference does it make to you or me?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 11:36:18 -0800, C. Leeds wrote
(in article ):

On 11/29/2010 12:20 AM, Rob Tweed wrote:
Despite an apparent 20% saving, reviewers at Amazon just don't seem to
be taking the offer seriously :-)

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-...p/B000J36XR2/r
ef=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Anyway, read the customer reviews - they're rather amusing.

Frankly, I didn't find the reviews amusing at all. Usually, things that
are predictable aren't funny.

My comment is: who bloody cares? Yes, there are expensive - gasp! even
overpriced! - audio products. So what? It is easy to find overpriced
merchandise is almost any product category. Some people find value in
these products. So what? What difference does it make to you or me?

Sometimes It's just fun to make light of suckers and the snake oil they buy.
Besides, if one cannot join the upper classes, one should applaud anyone,
like Bill Lowe of AudioQuest, who is doing his best to deplete them! 8^)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

On 12/1/2010 3:24 PM, Audio Empire wrote (about buyers of expensive
audio cables):

Sometimes It's just fun to make light of suckers and the snake oil they buy.

That some people may enjoy buying and owning expensive cables doesn't
necessarily make them suckers. If they enjoy it, who are you to
criticize? And it's only "snake oil" if the product doesn't deliver what
the buyer expected.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 13:12:24 -0800, C. Leeds wrote
(in article ):

On 12/1/2010 3:24 PM, Audio Empire wrote (about buyers of expensive
audio cables):

Sometimes It's just fun to make light of suckers and the snake oil they buy.

That some people may enjoy buying and owning expensive cables doesn't
necessarily make them suckers. If they enjoy it, who are you to
criticize? And it's only "snake oil" if the product doesn't deliver what
the buyer expected.

If they *know* that they're just buying "bling", I'd agree with you, but
you'd be surprised at how many people have been duped into buying these
hyper-expensive cables thinking that they actually "do" something. Besides,
buying expensive cables for looks is one thing, but there is NOTHING that one
can do to a speaker cable to make it worth $6800, even if it were made of
gold.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

On 12/1/2010 5:57 PM, Audio Empire wrote (about high-priced audio cables):

...you'd be surprised at how many people have been duped into buying these
hyper-expensive cables thinking that they actually "do" something.

Okay, I'll ask: how many people have been duped? Why don't we hear from
them in this group, or elsewhere? Please tell us.

...there is NOTHING that one
can do to a speaker cable to make it worth $6800, even if it were made of
gold.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. You're also free to
enjoy mocking those who buy these cables. Some others apparently find
value in these sorts of products, however.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
dave a dave a is offline

On 12/1/2010 1:12 PM, C. Leeds wrote:
On 12/1/2010 3:24 PM, Audio Empire wrote (about buyers of expensive
audio cables):

Sometimes It's just fun to make light of suckers and the snake oil they buy.

That some people may enjoy buying and owning expensive cables doesn't
necessarily make them suckers. If they enjoy it, who are you to
criticize? And it's only "snake oil" if the product doesn't deliver what
the buyer expected.

And who's to say what is too expensive? Is a $5000 amp better than a
$500 amp with the same specs? While I would agree that cables are an
extreme example of overpriced audio equipment, it seems that this sort
of hype is what the high end business is built on to some degree or another.

Some equipment selection decisions are made on strictly non-audio
criteria. Maybe you get great satisfaction from the looks of $6.8K
cables. I'm sure many equipment choices are based on looks. Fine with
me, it's your money.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Dec 1, 4:12=A0pm, "C. Leeds" wrote:

And it's only "snake oil" if the product doesn't deliver what
the buyer expected.

"Snake oil" really describes the disconnect between what the
manufacturer promises and what the product delivers. Some people may
take laetrile because they like the taste, but it's still snake oil.

But to ease any hurt feelings here, I for one promise to never, ever
make fun of anyone who admits to buying high-priced cables solely for
the bling factor.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 21:15:18 -0800, bob wrote
(in article ):

On Dec 1, 4:12=A0pm, "C. Leeds" wrote:

And it's only "snake oil" if the product doesn't deliver what
the buyer expected.

"Snake oil" really describes the disconnect between what the
manufacturer promises and what the product delivers. Some people may
take laetrile because they like the taste, but it's still snake oil.

But to ease any hurt feelings here, I for one promise to never, ever
make fun of anyone who admits to buying high-priced cables solely for
the bling factor.

bob

Very wise course. If someone has enough money that $6800 is "chump change"
and realizes that they're buying these cables merely on looks (and believe
me, for the money, those Audioquest cables are far from the
most-bling-for-the-buck!), then I say go for it. But those who actually
expect these cables to actually make their systems sound better, tsk, tsk,
tsk.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ed Seedhouse[_2_] Ed Seedhouse[_2_] is offline

On Dec 1 2010, 11:36=A0am, "C. Leeds" wrote:
On 11/29/2010 12:20 AM, Rob Tweed wrote:

My comment is: who bloody cares? Yes, there are expensive - gasp! even
overpriced! - audio products. So what? It is easy to find overpriced
merchandise is almost any product category. Some people find value in
these products. So what? What difference does it make to you or me?

But of course a great part of the enjoyment of life is making fun of
Very Silly Things. You would deprive us of this?