Mike Cleaver

Default Ugliest microphones (inside and out!)

OK, instead of all the off-ff topic political stuff and backstabbing,
let's have a little fun here.

What's the worst thing you've ever seen done to a professional
microphone?
I thought I'd seen it all until I went to a friend's house.
He rescues unloved micorphones, the type most of us would turf into
the trash.
But he had an RCA 44BX that took the cake.
The case and screens were nice enough but the silk had been replaced
with some type of plaid mystery cloth!
When he removed the screens, the inside was packed with that "foam
that expands in place" with a crystal mike cartridge imbedded in it.
None of the original 44 "guts" were left but the thing did have a cord
and plug on it.
Besides looking like a Scotsman in a cage, it sounded like pure crap!
He calls it the "44BXtal".
Now I've seen mics painted all different colours and original innards
removed and replaced with "better" capsules but this was the worst
butcher job I've ever seen.
Anyone else with any examples?
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Voice-overs, Newscaster, Engineering and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada