Stewart Pinkerton

Default Cables..attitudes..variables..

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:28:56 GMT, Leonard
wrote:

I would suggest that there are those among us that have a
mental dividing line that keeps their mental processes from
venturing further than a given point on the cable issue.

Indeed yes - it's called intelligence! :-)

If one cannot explain a phenomenon or strange occurance within
the framework of that "mental dividing line" then you have
made a mistake or you are treading on the land beyond that
dividing line. The land of the "strawman". The unknown, this
is not well taken by this mindset. In the cable realm, all is
known..we need not learn more. But, Mr. Anschuetz raises the
specter of having to tread in that land where all future
knowledge lies. Where deep research tends to thrive at times.

Nope, deep research is based on reliable, repeatable and falsifiable
*observations*, not wacky theories made up in order to sell product.
In the area of 'cable sound', such observations are notably absent.

Many thanks to Mr. Anschuetz for his thought provoking few
lines. An ability to admit to an unexplained occurance is a
sure sign of an inquiring mind and a degree of maturity.

Mind you, he was ridiculed for making these statements by
one of those that think cables are "all the same". "It was
just bad connections"...as if he would not have checked this
over and over!

He did. Did you not read that he suffered this condition *once*, and
was unable to repeat it? A classic case of a bad connection, usually
caused by a speck of dirt, or a connector not fully locked. Of course,
*you* would have us search for cosmic radiation, little green men, or
possibly your Indian spirit guide, but a poorly made connection is
just a little more likely, wouldn't you say?

It must be explained within the mental
barrier concepts..it does not exist if not explainable
by known concepts. Narrow!

I refer you to William of Occam. When you hear the sound of hoofbeats,
don't expect zebras.....................

Leonard

Ref: Fixed attitudes...no room for modifications..changes..

Mr. Pinkerton has been on these audio groups for over
a decade and has rather pronounced attitudes about
cables in general. He does not detect any differences
in audio cable..he does not mince words on telling
you that, "...you cannot tell any difference either..!"

My stance is that there are differences and in varying
degrees. Simply put, we disagree! I contend that if you
try a variety of cable types in your system at home
and in the quietness of that environment you determine
a particular cable does indeed sound a bit better, then
by all means get it. Be wary of those that know what
is best for "you".

wrote:

I would suggest that there are those among us that have a
mental dividing line that keeps their mental processes from
venturing further than a given point on the cable issue.

Indeed yes - it's called intelligence! :-)

Indeed, a stunted intellectual set, grounded in the
past, not willing to accept that things change and
not all is known about any aspect of our endeavors
at this early juncture. The dividing line is here.
In one of the examples in my initial note, it was
implied that we do not know, at this juncture, what
the most basic particles are..therefore, we cannot
know the reaction of other elements in the Universe
that affects them..until we get down to that level,
much of our knowledge is cut off on so many basic issues.

If one cannot explain a phenomenon or strange occurance within
the framework of that "mental dividing line" then you have
made a mistake or you are treading on the land beyond that
dividing line. The land of the "strawman". The unknown, this
is not well taken by this mindset. In the cable realm, all is
known..we need not learn more. But, Mr. Anschuetz raises the
specter of having to tread in that land where all future
knowledge lies. Where deep research tends to thrive at times.

Nope, deep research is based on reliable, repeatable and falsifiable
*observations*, not wacky theories made up in order to sell product.
In the area of 'cable sound', such observations are notably absent.

Somehow, you seem to be implying that those who consider various
cables are gullible to the "hawking" of the Vendors! Please!
We all live in this Capitalistic Society and all of the pressures
of the sales scenario. Enough already, we all know that Vendors
tend to go off into the "light fantastic". The real issue here
is involved in the comments made above about the trial of varying
cables in the comfort of your own audio environment...then saying
"yea" or "nay" based on "your" own judgement. That others,
somehow, know what is best for me..it just won't float! Get real!

Many thanks to Mr. Anschuetz for his thought provoking few
lines. An ability to admit to an unexplained occurance is a
sure sign of an inquiring mind and a degree of maturity.

Mind you, he was ridiculed for making these statements by
one of those that think cables are "all the same". "It was
just bad connections"...as if he would not have checked this
over and over!

He did. Did you not read that he suffered this condition *once*, and
was unable to repeat it? A classic case of a bad connection, usually
caused by a speck of dirt, or a connector not fully locked. Of course,
*you* would have us search for cosmic radiation, little green men, or
possibly your Indian spirit guide, but a poorly made connection is
just a little more likely, wouldn't you say?

Classic stuff here..you attempt to take a situation where a number
of examples were given where we are learning daily about many
"unknowns" and then delve into the "ole" little green men or Indian
spirit guide routine. This ploy tends to reflect so much of my
point in the note. The new knowledge is there beyond the
barriers..therefore, it falls into the "strawman" and ridicule
category by those that have "all the answers". The answer to any
strange occurance must be found in the "known". Nevermind that the
known is severely lacking in its scope. The inability to provide
for any "unknown" to have validity and not be explainable, in the
rational world, "is" the issue here. Ponder that!

This ploy to "play to the audience" and brandy about phrases
like "cosmic radiation", Little Green men, et al..is the
tool of those that truly don't grasp the issue.
The element of "ridicule" is always brought into play
when running into the aformentioned barrier! Classic - predictable!

It must be explained within the mental
barrier concepts..it does not exist if not explainable by known
concepts. Narrow!

I refer you to William of Occam. When you hear the sound of hoofbeats,
don't expect zebras.....................

So, after many years, this issue has been hashed out on these
Newsgroups. Most people understand that they must be the final
arbitor on the selection of their systems. There are those out
there that say NO! I know what is best for you! Thus, one has to
ignore this type and proceed forward toward good music. Do
be ready to admit you can't hear and say "..you're right..
there is no difference..". They will be happy for awhile!

This case is closed, go about selecting your system as you so
desire! Enjoy! As stated above, Mr Pinkerton has his view,
I respect that, however, I differ! The world will go on!

Leonard...

P.S. As I have been around these Audio Groups for decades,
the following tidbits might be interesting to you:

1. At one time we were all ridiculed by thinking
that 16bit representation was not nirvana!
Much "fodder" on these newsgroups. It was the
ploy of the Manufacturers. 16bit was all we
needed, don't listen to those mean ole
Manufacturers..then new knowledge came from
over the mental barriers and newer better
concepts prevailed. We now have much superior
non-16bit sound!

2. Then some advanced Engineers noted that a clean
power supply coming into a solid-state amp
made things notably cleaner. The ridicule
began to flow by the same crowd. Ha! they
said: power is power, ad infinitum. But,
others noted that indeed the sound was
better. We now have better sounding pre-amps
and amps due to cleaner power sources.

These are just two items that this "we have the answers"
group failed to shout down! There are other issues there
from the past...The cable issue still lingers on..but,
it too will fade away. The real world will overcome
this group aided by information from across that
"mental-barrier" I have discussed!

Nousaine

Leonard wrote:

Ref: Fixed attitudes...no room for modifications..changes..

Mr. Pinkerton has been on these audio groups for over
a decade and has rather pronounced attitudes about
cables in general. He does not detect any differences
in audio cable..he does not mince words on telling
you that, "...you cannot tell any difference either..!"

My stance is that there are differences and in varying
degrees. Simply put, we disagree! I contend that if you
try a variety of cable types in your system at home
and in the quietness of that environment you determine
a particular cable does indeed sound a bit better, then
by all means get it. Be wary of those that know what
is best for "you".

I've conducted an experiment where the 'designer' of a regionally branded
interconnect was unable to reliably distinguish his $300 a meter interconnects
from a pair of junk box rcas using headphones taken from the headphone output
jack of a direct coupled amplifier and a cd player were in the circuit.

He complained that his cables "threw a big image that was not adequately
demonstrated with headphones." So we repeated the experiment the following week
where he brought his own speakers, amplifier, cd player and speaker cables.

Guess what? He couldn't tell them apart in that situation either. I've also
conducted similar experiments with high-fi store salesmen with the same
results. Do you really want these people telling you what's good for you?

But I urge anyone considering a specialty wire purchase to be sure to include
some rudimentary bias controls in listening evaluations. Make the test blind;
keep score. If you ever make a mistake (heard the message when the wrong
preacher was in the pulpit) take note.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:00:18 GMT, Leonard
wrote:

Ref: Fixed attitudes...no room for modifications..changes..

Also ref. physical reality............

I am sorry to report that even in 'high end' audio, it remains the
case that 2+2=4.

Mr. Pinkerton has been on these audio groups for over
a decade

No, it just seems that way! :-)

and has rather pronounced attitudes about
cables in general. He does not detect any differences
in audio cable..he does not mince words on telling
you that, "...you cannot tell any difference either..!"

More to the point, I and others have put money on it. There's a pool
of around $4,000 waiting for *anyone* who can tell apart two cables in
a level-matched double-blind conditions. This pool has lain on the
table for about five years, and no one has even *tried* to collect it,
despite numerous wild claims about 'huge' sonic differences by
'subjectivist' posters.

My stance is that there are differences and in varying
degrees. Simply put, we disagree! I contend that if you
try a variety of cable types in your system at home
and in the quietness of that environment you determine
a particular cable does indeed sound a bit better, then
by all means get it. Be wary of those that know what
is best for "you".

I contend that any such 'differences' exist only inside your head. As
noted, you can collect enough cash for some *really* kool kables if
*you* really can tell the difference.

wrote:

The new knowledge is there beyond the
barriers..therefore, it falls into the "strawman" and ridicule
category by those that have "all the answers". The answer to any
strange occurance must be found in the "known". Nevermind that the
known is severely lacking in its scope. The inability to provide
for any "unknown" to have validity and not be explainable, in the
rational world, "is" the issue here. Ponder that!

P.S. As I have been around these Audio Groups for decades,
the following tidbits might be interesting to you:

A fine example of Leonard's dislocation from reality, as these groups
have not *existed* for plural decades.

1. At one time we were all ridiculed by thinking
that 16bit representation was not nirvana!
Much "fodder" on these newsgroups. It was the
ploy of the Manufacturers. 16bit was all we
needed, don't listen to those mean ole
Manufacturers..then new knowledge came from
over the mental barriers and newer better
concepts prevailed. We now have much superior
non-16bit sound!

A fine tale - but not supported by *listening tests*. Show me the
studio *master* tape that has more than 90dB dynamic range, and I'll
show you a *possible* need for more than 16 bits. Until then, you are
just off on another one of your flights of fancy.

2. Then some advanced Engineers noted that a clean
power supply coming into a solid-state amp
made things notably cleaner. The ridicule
began to flow by the same crowd. Ha! they
said: power is power, ad infinitum. But,
others noted that indeed the sound was
better. We now have better sounding pre-amps
and amps due to cleaner power sources.

No one who had even a smattering of EE knowledge, would have said any
such thing. You are simply making this up. A good power supply is
*essential* to *any* high quality audio electronics equipment. Of
course, if you are talking about rubbish such as line conditioners and
'audiophile' power cords, then you simply don't understand what the
power supply *does*. It is of course true that there's a *lot* of
*extremely* expensive so-called 'high end' gear which is quite
apallingly designed, but that's another matter.

That's because the first is bull****, and the second is untrue.

There are other issues there
from the past...The cable issue still lingers on..but,
it too will fade away. The real world will overcome
this group aided by information from across that
"mental-barrier" I have discussed!

The only mental barrier in this thread seems to be between you and the
real physical world.........

ShLampen

In article cJ79b.445885$o%2.202854@sccrnsc02, Leonard
writes:

The short-sighted viewpoint that we now know all the characteristics
of cable and that it is a cut and dried technology..needs to be
reconsidered.

I work for Belden, the largest manufacturer of professional audio and video
cable in the world, and I can tell you that all cable is NOT "cut and dried".
Certainly after 101 years we know a lot about making cable. Let's say we know
99.9%. There are always new plastics, new ways of measuring,
computer-controlled manufacturing etc. etc. that send us back to the drawing
board. The video cables we make today we could NOT have made 20 years ago,
maybe even less. And there are some effects we can't quite figure out, such as
why our French Braid shield (a double serve braided along one edge) performs
better at RF than a full braid.

And there are many technologies coming down the pike (room temperature
superconductors, for one) that will turn everything you know on its ear. How
about zero resistance speaker cables? How about having your amplifier in San
Francisco and your speaker in New York, with no loss, no limit on current?
Boggles the mind.

Maybe in the next decade we'll get to 99.99% knowledge.

Steve Lampen
Belden Electronics Division

ludovic mirabel

(Nousaine) wrote in message ...
Leonard
wrote:

[...]

What protocol did you follow in the "tests" you are recounting.
What are "some rudimentary bias controls". Will anything less than switched ABX do?
The devil is in the detail Mr. Nousaine.

Rusty Boudreaux

"ShLampen" wrote in message
In article cJ79b.445885$o%2.202854@sccrnsc02, Leonard

I work for Belden, the largest manufacturer of professional

audio and video
cable in the world, and I can tell you that all cable is NOT

"cut and dried".
Certainly after 101 years we know a lot about making cable.

Let's say we know
99.9%. There are always new plastics, new ways of measuring,
computer-controlled manufacturing etc. etc. that send us back

to the drawing
board. The video cables we make today we could NOT have made

20 years ago,
maybe even less. And there are some effects we can't quite

figure out, such as
why our French Braid shield (a double serve braided along one

edge) performs
better at RF than a full braid.

So, what? None of this has any relevance to audio with a measly
20kHz bandwidth. Name one wire, cable, or interconnect
advancement in the past 20 years (or even 101 years) that has
made an audible improvement in audio cables. Video cables are
another story but even competent cables of 20 years ago would do
just fine against the most recent cables of today. Cable TV was
born in 1948 with coax cable capable of over 500MHz bandwidth.
Even today's highest definition component video is under 30MHz
which is well below the state of the art of the early 1900s.
Sure with new materials and techniques cables have improved in
terms of cost, flexibility, connector reliability, etc but not in
terms of measureable audible differences.

And there are many technologies coming down the pike (room

temperature
superconductors, for one) that will turn everything you know on

its ear. How
about zero resistance speaker cables? How about having your

amplifier in San
Francisco and your speaker in New York, with no loss, no limit

on current?
Boggles the mind.

Again, so what? Sure superconductivity has great applications in
the power utility market but audio? Even if you have a
unrealistic 1/2 mile of 12 gauge speaker wire you only need twice
the amplifier power compared to a 1 foot speaker wire. Even
buying the cheapest 1/2 mile of 12 gauge speaker cable will cost
over $800 per channel. The cost of doubling the amplifier power
will be less than the wire cost and it will certainly be cheaper
than any superconducting cable.

In all practical situations the driver coil resistance is the
dominant resistance in the system. Now for extra credit what
happens when you have a superconducting driver coil?

Leonard

Ref: Realities from differing viewpoints...

wrote:

Ref: Fixed attitudes...no room for modifications..changes..

Also ref. physical reality............

I am sorry to report that even in 'high end' audio, it remains the
case that 2+2=4.

Granted: 2+2=4

Mr. Pinkerton has been on these audio groups for over
a decade

No, it just seems that way! :-)

and has rather pronounced attitudes about
cables in general. He does not detect any differences
in audio cable..he does not mince words on telling
you that, "...you cannot tell any difference either..!"

More to the point, I and others have put money on it. There's a pool
of around $4,000 waiting for *anyone* who can tell apart two cables in
a level-matched double-blind conditions. This pool has lain on the
table for about five years, and no one has even *tried* to collect it,
despite numerous wild claims about 'huge' sonic differences by
'subjectivist' posters.

Does anyone care? Really?

My stance is that there are differences and in varying
degrees. Simply put, we disagree! I contend that if you
try a variety of cable types in your system at home
and in the quietness of that environment you determine
a particular cable does indeed sound a bit better, then
by all means get it. Be wary of those that know what
is best for "you".

I contend that any such 'differences' exist only inside your head. As
noted, you can collect enough cash for some *really* kool kables if
*you* really can tell the difference.

Really, who cares if another does not agree on differences..
Consistantly abusive attitudes tend to alienate people from
this view "..I have the answers..you do not.." Be happy with
your answers..I differ, most Audiophiles also disagree.

You're right about the differences exist in my "head"..
It is there where the final arbitor resides..the land
of the Subjectivist!

wrote:

The new knowledge is there beyond the
barriers..therefore, it falls into the "strawman" and ridicule
category by those that have "all the answers". The answer to any
strange occurance must be found in the "known". Nevermind that the
known is severely lacking in its scope. The inability to provide
for any "unknown" to have validity and not be explainable, in the
rational world, "is" the issue here. Ponder that!

P.S. As I have been around these Audio Groups for decades,
the following tidbits might be interesting to you:

A fine example of Leonard's dislocation from reality, as these groups
have not *existed* for plural decades.

I should have said a decade..but, this gives you "fodder"
for ridicule.

1. At one time we were all ridiculed by thinking
that 16bit representation was not nirvana!
Much "fodder" on these newsgroups. It was the
ploy of the Manufacturers. 16bit was all we
needed, don't listen to those mean ole
Manufacturers..then new knowledge came from
over the mental barriers and newer better
concepts prevailed. We now have much superior
non-16bit sound!

A fine tale - but not supported by *listening tests*. Show me the
studio *master* tape that has more than 90dB dynamic range, and I'll
show you a *possible* need for more than 16 bits. Until then, you are
just off on another one of your flights of fancy.

So we haven't improved a thing..you've got be kidding!
As mentioned above..I think there is still a meeting
of the Flat-Earth Society! Not supported by
"listening Tests"..who cares? Fall back on ye ole
dynamics..but, then there are other parameters that
come into play, i.e., sampling rates, etc.

2. Then some advanced Engineers noted that a clean
power supply coming into a solid-state amp
made things notably cleaner. The ridicule
began to flow by the same crowd. Ha! they
said: power is power, ad infinitum. But,
others noted that indeed the sound was
better. We now have better sounding pre-amps
and amps due to cleaner power sources.

No one who had even a smattering of EE knowledge, would have said any
such thing. You are simply making this up. A good power supply is
*essential* to *any* high quality audio electronics equipment. Of
course, if you are talking about rubbish such as line conditioners and
'audiophile' power cords, then you simply don't understand what the
power supply *does*. It is of course true that there's a *lot* of
*extremely* expensive so-called 'high end' gear which is quite
apallingly designed, but that's another matter.

I don't remember his name, but I think that after
designing some Amplifiers/processers he went to
maybe, Monster Cable? Anyway he was somewhat renowned
for his work prior to moving. Classe' has been utilizing
some of the work done in this arena...again, you really
don't want to believe..but, so be it. Be happy in your
insights. It is not "made up" just because you don't
believe it. What a mindset!

I am talking about "line conditioners" and the movement
of some filtration processes into the Power supply
area. Now brace yourself...improved power cables!!

These are just two items that this "we have the answers"
group failed to shout down!

That's because the first is bull****, and the second is untrue.

There are other issues there
from the past...The cable issue still lingers on..but, it too
will fade away. The real world will overcome this group aided
by information from across that "mental-barrier" I have
discussed!

The only mental barrier in this thread seems to be between you and the
real physical world.........

I don't think that Mr. Pinkerton is going to change this aging
view that has been espoused for "less than a decade". He had
lambasted, called various respondents names and generally took the
exchange of ideas into the gutter...time and time again. I stand by
the statements above. He has chosen to carry this interchange into
his normal discourse over the years.

This seems to strike at his ego...manners, decorum and general
politeness tend to fleetingly go away and old manners from
other Audio forums reappear. How did I know this interchange
would end up this way? Experience and close observation.

This case is closed. I stand by my statements...you disagree..
So be it! Nothing will be resolved here. We differ!

Leonard...

Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:48:01 GMT, Leonard
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:41:38 +0000, Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

There's a pool
of around $4,000 waiting for *anyone* who can tell apart two cables in
a level-matched double-blind conditions. This pool has lain on the
table for about five years, and no one has even *tried* to collect it,
despite numerous wild claims about 'huge' sonic differences by
'subjectivist' posters.

Does anyone care? Really?

You seem to care enough to post endless handwaving about magical
mystical effects, when the physical evidence that there is *no*
audible difference lies before you.

My stance is that there are differences and in varying
degrees. Simply put, we disagree! I contend that if you
try a variety of cable types in your system at home
and in the quietness of that environment you determine
a particular cable does indeed sound a bit better, then
by all means get it. Be wary of those that know what
is best for "you".

I contend that any such 'differences' exist only inside your head. As
noted, you can collect enough cash for some *really* kool kables if
*you* really can tell the difference.

Really, who cares if another does not agree on differences..
Consistantly abusive attitudes tend to alienate people from
this view "..I have the answers..you do not.." Be happy with
your answers..I differ, most Audiophiles also disagree.

Ah, another one who speaks for 'most audiophiles'. My constant advice
is never to believe what I say, but to get out there and do your own
listening *under controlled conditions*. You willl find no need for
magical mystical theories to explain cable differences - because they
don't exist in the real physical world.

You're right about the differences exist in my "head"..
It is there where the final arbitor resides..the land
of the Subjectivist!

I rest my case...............

Leonard

Ref: Ridicule about power filters..power supplies..cords..

Gary..

This is but one issue that has come up on these
audio groups. I was throughly ridiculed on another
newsgroup when I mentioned that a filtration system
that I had tried and just purchased, did in fact
improve the sound of my system.

The individual that started the rally on that
newsgroup is still the "catalyst" that thrives
there. When he would jump on an issue there
was about three others that would jump into
the fray - you could count on it - and one
was Stewart..not sure about the other.

However, the comment to me on one note was
simply that "wire is wire...power is power.."
This was coming after rather heated debates
on cables, etc. The thrust of the interplay
was that these filters could do nothing for
the sound..the power supplies in the system
would not be altered by the filtration
external to the system. Ridiculous that
anyone would think that AC filtration
could affect the audio! Marketing ploys!

Others were ridiculed about this during that
period...probably from around 1996 on up
to 1999. Can't remember. However, if its
important to you perhaps you can look it
up. Also, in those interchanges, I mentioned
that I had a friend in the N.C. area I think
that had worked on elaborate filtration systems
on Catscan devices..absolutely needed to clean
up the garbage on the AC lines. I had mentioned
that others were applying some of these ideas
to audio applications. External to the regular
power supply. Years after these interchanges
many companies introduced some very large
and expensive power cleanup devices.

I believe that Stereophile had made some reviews
of some of these devices at the time and in some
cases found them helpful..this always fired off
the anti-everything crowd.

Mind you we were discussing the filtration prior
to the Power supply..not the power supply proper.
My wording could imply I was referring to the
Power supply. I think most people involved in
electronics are well versed on the necessity
of a well built power supply.

These issues came up for long periods of time..
..suprized you didn't see them or get involved.

My system reacted in a favorable way with the
filtration in front and some types on these
groups tended to violently differ. The reaction
was worse than I related in the note you are
referring to.

Leonard..

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:08:42 +0000, Gary Rosen wrote:

"Leonard" wrote in message

2. Then some advanced Engineers noted that a clean
power supply coming into a solid-state amp
made things notably cleaner. The ridicule
began to flow by the same crowd. Ha! they
said: power is power, ad infinitum. But,
others noted that indeed the sound was
better. We now have better sounding pre-amps
and amps due to cleaner power sources.

What is your reference for this? I've been reading these groups
for a long time, I've seen all the debates - CD vs. vinyl, cables,
DBTs, etc. Never once can I recall *anybody* saying "power is
power" - as an EE I know that clean power is fundamental to
the operation of any system and I am dead certain that Stewart,
Dick Pierce and the rest of the "same crowd" know this too.
If this debate occurred, you should be able to find it on Google.

- Gary Rosen

It is not "if" the debates did occur..they happened, but who
has the inclination to dig up that old stuff. Who can remember
the exact name of a poster. Who knows who was part of the
"crowd" at that time. There was about three at the time that
was fairly active. A certain number are still around. Three
of those are still around.

Leonard wrote:

You're right about the differences exist in my "head"..
It is there where the final arbitor resides..the land
of the Subjectivist!

This is a really a rather extreme view that reminds me of an incident when I
was teaching an organ lesson. The student played a G natural instead of a G
flat in the soprano of a passage of the Brahms 'Herzleibster Jesu' chorale
prelude, turing the harmony from E flat major to E flat minor, which
essentially ruins Brahms' beautiful harmonic progression during that part of
the piece. It is routine for music teachers to point out note mistakes to
beginning and intermediate students because they often aren't aware of them,
and when I did so, he replied in a serious tone 'it's only a half step'.
Not wanting to insult him, I tried to refrain from laughing, but it is true,
in his mind, it was okay, because a half step didn't mean much to him.

Keep in mind that as a whole, seeing music reproduction as more subjective
than music performance would be a position virtually impossible to successfully
defend.

So, is the final arbiter REALLY in the land of the subjectivist?

And what was that you said about 'narrow'?

Leonard

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:32:08 +0000, jjnunes wrote:

Leonard wrote:

[...]

The final arbitor is in the ear-mind complex..and the ear-mind
is an integral part of the Subjectivist processes. This was
somewhat out of context. This was stated in conjunction with
statements about about one making decisions on systems in
his own private audio listening environment. Then the comment
that this is the land of the Subjectivist. I think it is!

And what was that you said about 'narrow'?

Ref: subjectivist thoughts..application of concept.

Interesting query there jj. In my sense of the application of the
word Subjectivist. I was referring to the issue of when listening
to music via a recording with all your grand components..your
ear-mind construct is extremely "subjectivist" in nature. One
is making value judgements on how close the system sounds to
some real, or perhaps imagined, representation of that source.

The the ear-mind construct has to considered, in my way of thinking,
as an extremely subjectivist ole soul. It has to do with so many
variables, experiences, education and a myriad of scenarios that
one has gone through. It is the product of all that has been
input to it over the years. It is not consistent at times, depending
on age, etc. There is a myriad of balancing acts going on, all
based on that "input" that has been fed into it for many years.

So, to my logic, the scenario you painted regarding the student
has to do with his interpretation of how to play the note and
a value judgement as to its importance..it is this judgement
that is wrong..he accesses no importance to the sloppiness
you mentioned. It is a two step process..first the physical
to get the right note and if he/she misses it..the value
accessment that it is O.K. This might well be due to a general
lazyness, even though they knew it was not quite right. A seriousness
regarding their "value system" seems to not be fully developed..
..we tend to pass off as immaturity.

To me, the aboved mentioned scenario of Student attitudes is a
bit different than that of the listener sitting in the quiet
of his Audio room making decisions on how close the Flute
with its air escaping sound is to some real or imagined
representation. Or perhaps the timbre of a well played
Sax as it lumbers down the scale. Note, I said real or
imagined..we tend to recall various recording, or live
music, as we play selections and attempt to make decisions
on its truthfulness to our memory. We make these instantaneous
comparisons to memory all the time when we listen. To me
this is an aspect of the Subjective that is somewhat different
than the scenario you painted. Correct me if I'm wrong or
not even on track!!

As to the comment on "...music reproduction more subjective than
music performance..." I would have to think about this and go
through an "unlayering" process mentally. I've never thought
of those elements as being mutually exclusive. Again, step
me through how this idea was articulated to you. I'm willing
to listen and absorb.

Anyway, I find the note "thought provoking"..and the last
question a bit of a mental challenge..as I'd never thought
of the two factors in juxtaposition. Interesting.

To me, one's view of the Universe is seen through the Subjective
glasses..as one gets wiser it has to be tempered somewhat if
it runs roughshod over basic logic. In my view, we're stuck
with some of the foibles of "Subjective" direction. Perhaps
this is not too "narrow". There is not much we can do about it
at the present time..we can't measure it or give some
numerical value to it..we must suffer with what we have!

Anyway..interesting note!

Leonard...

Leonard wrote:

The final arbitor is in the ear-mind complex..and the ear-mind
is an integral part of the Subjectivist processes. This was
somewhat out of context. This was stated in conjunction with
statements about about one making decisions on systems in
his own private audio listening environment. Then the comment
that this is the land of the Subjectivist. I think it is!

The problem with this is that ear-brain LEARNS to recognize patterns
and make associations. An inquiring mind doesn't really do this in
total isolation. Maybe that makes you happy, but to me it's like
suffocation.

Simply stated, there is more going on than what is in the listeners head.
The universe was here long before we were and we are aware of only a tiny
fraction of it to say the very least.

To me, the aboved mentioned scenario of Student attitudes is a
bit different than that of the listener sitting in the quiet
of his Audio room making decisions on how close the Flute
with its air escaping sound is to some real or imagined
representation. Or perhaps the timbre of a well played
Sax as it lumbers down the scale. Note, I said real or
imagined..we tend to recall various recording, or live
music, as we play selections and attempt to make decisions
on its truthfulness to our memory. We make these instantaneous
comparisons to memory all the time when we listen. To me
this is an aspect of the Subjective that is somewhat different
than the scenario you painted. Correct me if I'm wrong or
not even on track!!

Well, it's certainly not how Pythagoras and his followers worked out
the basic physics of tuning systems. They wanted to increase the
understanding of what was going on. I think that's important. Despite
that, there are obviously other ways. I'm really a pluralist about all
this for practical reasons.

As to the comment on "...music reproduction more subjective than
music performance..." I would have to think about this and go
through an "unlayering" process mentally. I've never thought
of those elements as being mutually exclusive. Again, step
me through how this idea was articulated to you. I'm willing
to listen and absorb.

I didn't mean to say they were mutually exclusive. The objective/subjective
is ideally sort of a continuum to me. The many rough places where it is
not are caused because I don't understand something.

To me, one's view of the Universe is seen through the Subjective
glasses..as one gets wiser it has to be tempered somewhat if
it runs roughshod over basic logic. In my view, we're stuck
with some of the foibles of "Subjective" direction. Perhaps
this is not too "narrow". There is not much we can do about it
at the present time..we can't measure it or give some
numerical value to it..we must suffer with what we have!

Learing new methodical techniques is the best that can be done. Some people
don't like that for some reason. Go back to the reason you posted a
response to Pinkerton's post if you don't know what I mean.

Leonard

Ref: Subjectivism...methodical techniques..contradictions

Below is a well thought out response to a problem
regarding the overpowering aspects of the subjective
process and an awareness of it negative side and some
thoughts on how to better control it.

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 05:44:43 +0000, jjnunes wrote:

Leonard wrote:

The final arbitor is in the ear-mind complex..and the ear-mind
is an integral part of the Subjectivist processes. This was
somewhat out of context. This was stated in conjunction with
statements about about one making decisions on systems in
his own private audio listening environment. Then the comment
that this is the land of the Subjectivist. I think it is!

The problem with this is that ear-brain LEARNS to recognize patterns
and make associations. An inquiring mind doesn't really do this in
total isolation. Maybe that makes you happy, but to me it's like
suffocation.

Never thought of any aspect of the Subjective mind as functioning
in isolation. My basic thrust is that it improves with its
interplay with the so called "real-world" out there. Improve
meaning ridding itself of the more negative aspects of the
Subjective process. I would think that the Subjective is
molded by all that you perceive, learn, reject, comparative
processes, and on it goes. The only isolation aspect I have
mentioned is that of making cable decisions in you own
audio space at your pace and choosing. It is a personal
choice you are making..to insure a bit better audio. To
improve the illusion the ear-mind presents to you upon
playback. Agreeing with that ear-mind construct is a
positive step to me in this cable selection process. This
includes many other components. I would recommend that
one concur with what your ear-mind construct is in favor
with rather than some external process that says there
is no difference. All listening is accomplished with all
the mental resources at work..go with them.

[...]

My problem is with applying methodical techniques in areas where they
will not apply. My contention is that regarding cable selection
let the user make the selection in a "pure" Subjective mode, which
he does anyway, for the most part. Then after a few weeks, months
etc., he decides some alteration is necessary, then we are seeing
a modification of, perhaps, a Subjective flaw in the process. Let
the user learn that lesson..let him modify his processes. Perhaps,
he might decide there is very little differences in what he was
selecting. Note, I said "might"...in my mind there are notable
differences in cables..I have difficulty with the scenario being
painted that they are all the same. There are areas of one's mindset
that reacts strangely to an environment labeled a "test" environment.
There seems to be an inability to concentrate on issues in a "test"
mode that become evident in the quietness of your own audio
environment. Mind you, while one is testing..it is all still flowing
throught this Subjective process...but, with a set of parameters
changed...different from my "..in the quiet of my audio space"
scenario. Being exposed to the teaching profession, I'm sure you are
aware of this little foible of the mental processes.

Years ago I dabbled in the Amateur Radio business...One night as I
sat in my Radio shack tuning my rig..getting the standing waves ratio
low as possible on the transmission lines and on one those Tube
amplifiers "dipping the plate current"..I thought, wouldn't it be
great to have the ability to adjust the subjective aspects of society
with this kind of numerical control. I merely adjusted for a prime
condition on the meters..neat. But, lo, this is not the way it
is..therefore we best accept that the Subjective world really controls
our very being. I'm merely adjusting to a harsh reality we are faced
with. Granted, we can apply some methodical techniques to the "world
out there"...it all must past the muster through the Subjective
domain..I merely accept this..and observe. I am not necessarily a
proponent. However, I do not agree with those that see this as all
negative. We can't really escape it at this point in time. It is
an integral part of what we are all about.

Ref your continuum statement:
You are probably right..there might well be a continuum involved
here..but, to me, we now have some bad gaps in that continuum.
Who knows..we shall see. Mind you, all this hassle over
Subjective/Objective might well be a semantics issue to get a
mental handle on something that is a continuum! A method to
isolate the extremes of a continuum. Food for thought.

Again, thanks for the note. I generally learn a bit from this
type of interchange.

Leonard...

Mkuller

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
What 'failed scenario'? DBTs *work*, and sighted listening is fatally
flawed. This is only in dispute by those who really do have an agenda.

Sorry, you keep saying this and waving your arms, but that won't make it true.
Most DBTs used to compare audio components with music are fatally flawed, even
more so than sighted listening. DBTs seem to remove subtle audible differences
(such as dynamic contrasts, imaging, soundstaging, timbral diffferences, tonal
colors, etc.). NEVER has a DBT with audio equipment and music shown
differences in any of these areas with audio components. We are all aware of
these subtle audible differences (isn't that what High End is all about?), but
by your logic and standards they don't exist.

DBTs have ONLY been shown to positively identify gross differences in loudness
and frequency response, and then mostly with pink noise as a source.

So what 'proof' do you have that DBTs work with audio equipment and music that
is not anecdotal pseudoscience?
Regards,
Mike

Leonard

Ref: Agendas...ego-problems..Newsgroup clutter.

Mr. Pinkerton has stated his case, I disagree with him.
I have stated my case..he disagrees with me.

These audio newsgroups have been filled with fodder with
those that have an agenda..all wrapped up in an ego problem
generated by previous statements. Nothing said here will
change either of our minds..therefore we probably should
do a "case really closed" to this issue. Move along!
This all gets boring to the reader of these groups.

Leonard...

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:38:41 +0000, Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:13:48 GMT, Leonard
wrote:

No one in their right mind needs a
series of test to decide what is best in their system.

They do if they want to know what *sounds* best - or just plain
different!

You seem to have an "agenda"..all facts are "warped"
by this long time commitment to this failed scenario.
Live and let live seems to be an alien concept!

What 'failed scenario'? DBTs *work*, and sighted listening is fatally
flawed. This is only in dispute by those who really do have an agenda.

No one buys your idea of "tests are needed"..knowing
full well this will lead to other test scenarios.

Sure they do - stop pretending that you speak for anyone but yourself.

Mind you, this somewhat ridiculous word interchange
is about just letting an individual select cables
as he sees fit. You don't know what is best for him!!

I do if he wants the best sound for his overall system budget! You
definitely do *not* get better sound from more expensive cables, that
is a *fact*.

Do grasp that! No one cares what you think nor are
concerned about any pre-freshmen test to resolve a
simple issue such as this. Having been on these groups
for a "decade" espousing this stuff..obviously none
of the previous postings have meant much to anyone.

Oh, we get a new bunch of 'true believers' every so often, whose wacky
theories need to be debunked. It was Siegfried Duray-Bito when I
started out, now it's you and Lou.

I suppose if someone came in
and commented that your Audio system was a bit harsh and seems
to get more "grating" on the ears with time...would you resort
to "..it sounds great to me.."?

I'd be rather surprised by such a comment, since it actually has a
pretty 'laid back' sound balance. Hence, I'd be very curious as to the
nature of the visitor's system.

Leonard

Ref: Considering evidence...
..selecting components.

normanstrong...

If this scenario works for you, then great!
I merely point out that I tend to be a bit
leary of "scientific theory" that is day in
and day out contradicted by users.

I don't think I go into the selection of components
with the dependence on "theory" that you do..but,
perhaps that is flaw in my listening processes.

There is more than one way to "skin a cat"!!

Enjoy the music..don't get too involved with
the hardware selection process. Be happy!
There is a group out there that says it all
sounds the same anyway. If you can believe
that!

Leonard...

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:59:38 +0000, normanstrong wrote:

"Leonard" wrote in message
t...

What physical evidence?...if an individual decided that
a particular cable sounds best in his system..what is
your grounds for argument. It is his business, his
system..his decision. What kind of mental arrogance are
we into here. No one in their right mind needs a
series of test to decide what is best in their system.

I've always considered that I'm in my right mind, but I DO require a
series of tests if I'm to be persuaded that some effect that makes no
sense technically does in fact exist. IOW, if the results are
contrary to accepted scientific theory, I don't throw out the theory,
I re-do the test, more carefully this time.

If careful replication still contradicts scientific theory, I will
have to question the theory (although I'd certainly wonder how the
theory ever became accepted in the first place if it's so easy to
disprove.)
So far, I've never run into that situation. And yes, I've run several
reasonably careful DBTs over the years. Some day I'll describe my
experience with the "frozen CD" test. That one had me scratching my
head for quite a time.

Norm Strong

Stewart Pinkerton

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:58:56 GMT, (Mkuller) wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:
What 'failed scenario'? DBTs *work*, and sighted listening is fatally
flawed. This is only in dispute by those who really do have an agenda.

Sorry, you keep saying this and waving your arms, but that won't make it true.

Indeed no, it's the fact that DBTs are used every day by some of the
biggest manufacturers in 'high end' audio that makes it true, while
the fatally flawed nature of sighted listening is easily proved by
*not* changing anything, yet having the audience dutifully report all
kinds of changes that they 'heard'.

Most DBTs used to compare audio components with music are fatally flawed, even
more so than sighted listening. DBTs seem to remove subtle audible differences
(such as dynamic contrasts, imaging, soundstaging, timbral diffferences, tonal
colors, etc.). NEVER has a DBT with audio equipment and music shown
differences in any of these areas with audio components.

That is of course not true, but it's certainly the case that DBTs fail
to demonstrate 'differences' due to expensive casework abnd designer
badges................

We are all aware of
these subtle audible differences (isn't that what High End is all about?), but
by your logic and standards they don't exist.

No, you like to *believe* that these differences exist, but DBTs show
that they really don't. Learn to live with that.

DBTs have ONLY been shown to positively identify gross differences in loudness
and frequency response, and then mostly with pink noise as a source.

Absolute rubbish! They are used every day in the R&D labs of the major
players to discover whether small changes in products have produced
any *real* audible difference, as opposed to wishful thinking on the
part of the designer.

So what 'proof' do you have that DBTs work with audio equipment and music that
is not anecdotal pseudoscience?

See above. Many of the top people who work in audio professionally use
DBTs every working day, because they are well aware that this is the
*only* way to reveal subtle - but *real* - audible differences. *You*
are the one who has totally failed to provide *any* reliable and
repeatable evidence to back your opinions.

Mkuller

Default THE ENDLESS DBT DEBATE

Stewart Pinkerton
No, you like to *believe* that these differences exist, but DBTs show
that they really don't. Learn to live with that.

mkuller
"DBTs show (that these subtle differences) really don't (exist)."

Unbelievable.
As an High End audiophile, this is the most EXTRAORDINARY
statement I have ever heard from you - which is saying a lot. Because your
flawed use of DBTs doesn't show what you want, you claim it doesn't exist -
noaudible differences in dynamic contrasts, imaging, soundstaging, timbral
diffferences, tonal colors, etc. That's truly amazing!

Stewart Pinkerton
No, that's reality. You cannot show *any* reliable and repeatable evidence

that such
audible differences in dynamic contrasts, imaging, soundstaging,
timbral diffferences, tonal colors, etc actually exist among nominally
competent amplifiers, and especially among cables. That you cheerfully
*imagine* such differences to exist, is of interest to no one but yourself.

It has been obvious for some time that your view of reality is a little
different. Ok, so now you have carefully qualified your general statement and
it only applies to "nominally competant amplifiers and cables".

So do the subtle differences I mentioned above appear in your reality with
other components or do the audio components in your world only have gross
frequency response and loudness differences?
Regards,
Mike

Nousaine

Steven Sullivan wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:52:44 GMT,
(Mkuller) wrote:

It has been obvious for some time that your view of reality is a little
different.

From yours, certainly. My view of reality is based on careful
experimentation, not on reading magazine reviews of this month's
latest 'wonder product', which of course just *must* sound different
from last month's 'wonder product'. For a really great belly laugh on
this subject, see Martin Colloms 'subjective scoring system'.

Ok, so now you have carefully qualified your general statement and
it only applies to "nominally competant amplifiers and cables".

It always did.

I've noticed on RAHE that no matter how many times 'objectivists' propound
their views with the proper qualifications -- e.g. the words
"nominally competent", "likely", "gross differences', etc -- and
it has now been dozens, if not hundreds of times, since I've been
reading the newsgroup -- certain 'subjectivists' simply fail to register
them.

Hence the canard emitted perennially from the
'subjectivist' side that 'objectivists' think 'all amps/cables/CD players
sound the same'.

Makes me wonder if there's some sort of perceptual bias going on.

--
-S.

And it follows with the corollary that if there have ever been any amplifiers
that have ever been shown to sound different under any set of conditions that
somehow that means Every Ampliifer sounds different from Every Other One.

Mkuller

mkuller wrote:
So do the subtle differences I mentioned above appear in your reality with
other components or do the audio components in your world only have gross
frequency response and loudness differences?

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
Some of them do, others have things like HF IMD and switching
distortion. Cables of course have no such effects, which is why they
all sound the same (except in the *gross* cases alreadty mentioned).

I'm not talking about things you've measured but aspects of a component's
performance you have heard. To reiterate, I'm asking you if you have ever
heard audible differences in dynamic contrasts, imaging, soundstaging, timbral
diffferences, tonal colors, etc. in comparing any two audio components. In
your world, do these audible differences exist and if so, where? Please don't
sidestep - just answer the question.
Regards,
Mike

Steven Sullivan

Mkuller wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote
I've noticed on RAHE that no matter how many times 'objectivists' propound
their views with the proper qualifications -- e.g. the words
"nominally competent", "likely", "gross differences', etc -- and
it has now been dozens, if not hundreds of times, since I've been
reading the newsgroup -- certain 'subjectivists' simply fail to register
them.

Hence the canard emitted perennially from the
'subjectivist' side that 'objectivists' think 'all amps/cables/CD players
sound the same'.

Even jj said some cables are designed as tone controls, i.e. they sound
different, and we've recently read here the report from the Swedish audio group
which proved CD players can sound different. So in your 'objectivist' view
which components sound different from each other? Amps that aren't 'nominally
competent' (if they sound different, they must be 'nominally incompetent')?
Preamps? Speakers?
Regards,
Mike

Cables designed to be tone controls are not cables designed to pass a signal
with minimal distortion, which is what nominally competent cables are designed to do.

If cables can be designed to sound different, and some CD players can be
found to sound different, it means that cables and CD players can sound different.
It does not mean they are *likely* to sound different. This oft-repeated
distinction should be committed to memory by certain parties to avoid
future misunderstanding.

If you have been unclear all along as to the meaning of the phrase
'nominally competent', then you should have said so earlier.

--
-S.

Mkuller

Steven Sullivan wrote

mkuller wrote:
Even jj said some cables are designed as tone controls, i.e. they sound
different, and we've recently read here the report from the Swedish audio

group
which proved CD players can sound different. So in your 'objectivist' view
which components sound different from each other? Amps that aren't

'nominally
competent' (if they sound different, they must be 'nominally incompetent')?
Preamps? Speakers?

Steven Sullivan :
Cables designed to be tone controls are not cables designed to pass a signal
with minimal distortion, which is what nominally competent cables are
designed to do.

Since there is no label on these amplifiers or cables that says "nominally
competent", this statement (of Pinkerton's which you repeat) is meaningless to
the average audiophile. And I believe Nousaine disagrees about amplifier sound
which makes your claim even more meaningless. So either "all amps sound the
same" or they don't. You can't have it both ways.

Nice sidestep Steven - you didn't answer the question I asked about which
components are "likely" to sound different.
Regards,
Mike

S888Wheel

Isn't it interesting that only people who practice bias controlled listening
tests get access to this special stuff?

Would you say that Stewert doesn't practice bias controled listening or maybe
this claim is less than accurate?
Steven Sullivan

Steven Sullivan wrote

mkuller wrote:
[...]

The average audiophile has some learnin' to do, IME.

And I believe Nousaine disagrees about amplifier sound
which makes your claim even more meaningless. So either "all amps sound the
same" or they don't. You can't have it both ways.

First of all, what claim are you referring to?
Second of all, unless I have made a claim about 'all listeners' or 'everyone',
then no disagreement in itself could be 'proof' that my claim
is 'meaningless'.

I believe you are wrong about Mr. Nousaine's views, which he has explained
*in detail* MANY times here. I'm pretty sure he agrees that nominally
competent amps working operated their design parameters are likely to
sound the same. Which means that amps *can* sound different, but that
when subjective bias is accounted for, they likely *won't*. Which,
AFAIR, has been his experience.

I believe you have misunderstood and misrepresented both my and Mr.
Nousaine's views, and not for the first time. Please desist from doing so.

Nice sidestep Steven - you didn't answer the question I asked about which
components are "likely" to sound different.

If you've comprehended what I've written, it should be easy to surmise
what components will tend to sound the same when they are nominally competent
and operating under normal loads. I'm testing you.

--
-S.
Mkuller

mkuller wrote:
I'm not talking about things you've measured but aspects of a component's
performance you have heard. To reiterate, I'm asking you if you have ever
heard audible differences in dynamic contrasts, imaging, soundstaging,

timbral
diffferences, tonal colors, etc. in comparing any two audio components. In
your world, do these audible differences exist and if so, where?

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
They exist, but almost exclusively among loudspeakers. Where some such
effects exist in amplifiers, it is invariably due to some technically
obvious problem such as poor crosstalk, weak power supplies or a poor
S/N ratio. And I'm not talking about subtle shortcomings.

To be more specific, timbral and tonal differences are *always*
traceable to gross frequency errors or very high harmonic distortion
(as with SET amps), while poor dynamic contrasts are a function of
weak power supplies. Imaging and soundstaging problems are of course
SNR and crosstalk related, but these tend not to exist with modern
amps and CD sources.

"Not to exist." Amazing.

BTW, the *vast* majority of such artifacts as claimed in these
newsgroups are simply in the heads of the listeners, and do not exist
in the real physical world. For instance, I have *never*, with CD
sources and solid-state amplifiers listened to under 'blind'
conditions, identified any of the effects you mention, aside from
tonal imbalances due to poor bass or treble response. These purple
prose claims of 'dynamic contrasts', 'inner detail' etc are in my
experience simply made up mythical tales, which *never* survive
controlled listening conditions.

You and the other objectivists have NEVER heard any of these things under
"controlled listening conditions" because the faulty use of DBTs obliterates
them. DBTs with audio components have ONLY shown gross frequency response and
loudness differences - therefore in your world those are the only differences
that must exist.

Pinkerton said
They (subtle audible differences) exist, but almost exclusively among

loudspeakers

If that is the case, please reference the DBTs where these subtle differences
were identified. Oh, that's right - DBTs are not needed with speakers, since
everyone 'knows' they all sound different - right?
You can't have it both ways.
Regards,
Mike

On 24 Sep 2003 01:35:16 GMT, (Nousaine) wrote:

[snip]

That's what I mean. What a lucky guy I must be to have selected the only
amplifiers in the world that sound the same for my personal kit. And, how lucky
were Floyd Toole (1976) and Dave Clark (1987) to have selected the dozen or so
amplifiers that actually did sound alike for those two experiments.

And how lucky was Steve Maki when he just happened to have on hand the only
amplifier on earth (Yamaha integrated amplifier) that sounded exactly like
Steve Zipser's Pass Aleph's on the trip to Sunshine Stereo.

I've heard people claim that two samples of the same model will even differ
sonically. How lucky I must be to have purchased two sets of those for my
personal kit.

Isn't it interesting that only people who practice bias controlled listening
tests get access to this special stuff?

THE ENDLESS DBT DEBATE,,,,

Endless is the word, alright. I'm back from a welcome hiatus of a year
or two, only to discover the same arguments, carried on by many of the
same people. I do admire their persistence. Of course, the DBT is my
all time favorite.

So I'll jump in right here and say, I've heard significant differences
in amplifiers, or rather, between two particular amplifiers, a
Parasound HCA1000 and a Spectron Digital One. Yup, I heard them. And
they weren't subtle either.

There's a famous experiment where a listener is told a major
component, say a preamplifier, has been switched from brand A to brand
B. In fact, nothing is switched. What is learned from this experiment
is that expectation of change results in the perception of change,
even where no change occurs. Perhaps, just maybe, not everyone is
subject to this psychoacoustic foible, but certainly it is
characteristic of our species.

Just as it seems to be characteristic of many so-called audiophiles to
blur or even deny the distinction between subjective and objective
evidence.

Within the confines of my livingroom, my choice of a Spectron over a
Parasound has proved highly gratifying. In the context of the
extraordinary and sometimes absurd claims of the "subjectivists"
frequenting this newsgroup, I can only say, Color me objectivist. I
like my Spectron, just as Stewart likes has Krell; but does it
*really* sound different than the Parasound? I couldn't say.

normanstrong

Pinkerton said
They (subtle audible differences) exist, but almost exclusively

among
loudspeakers

If that is the case, please reference the DBTs where these subtle

differences
were identified. Oh, that's right - DBTs are not needed with

speakers, since
everyone 'knows' they all sound different - right?
You can't have it both ways.
Regards,
Mike

Well, I must admit that Mike has a good point here. If one accepts
the thesis that loudspeakers differ dramatically in sound, such that
DBT are a waste of time, I'd personally like to see someone waste a
bit of it just to prove it.

Yes, I believe that the sound of loudspeakers varies enough that it
should be easy to tell which one is which. But it's a long way from a
"same - different" test to actually saying something substantative
about the sound of a speaker whose identity is unknown. Professional
audio reviewers and golden ears manage to avoid commenting on the
sound of unknown speakers. I can't say that I blame them. There's
always the chance that they will admire the sound of a speaker that
they are on record as hating when they heard it sighted--or vice
versa. I find most interesting the cleverness of the excuses they use
to avoid finding themselves in that position.

Norm Strong

Mkuller

THE ENDLESS DBT DEBATE,,,,

Endless is the word, alright. I'm back from a welcome hiatus of a year
or two, only to discover the same arguments, carried on by many of the
same people. I do admire their persistence. Of course, the DBT is my
all time favorite.

So I'll jump in right here and say, I've heard significant differences
in amplifiers, or rather, between two particular amplifiers, a
Parasound HCA1000 and a Spectron Digital One. Yup, I heard them. And
they weren't subtle either.

snip
Within the confines of my livingroom, my choice of a Spectron over a
Parasound has proved highly gratifying. In the context of the
extraordinary and sometimes absurd claims of the "subjectivists"
frequenting this newsgroup, I can only say, Color me objectivist. I
like my Spectron, just as Stewart likes has Krell; but does it
*really* sound different than the Parasound? I couldn't say.

Welcome back. Of course the Spectron sounds different/better - you heard it,
and time has proven it a satisfying musical choice. Of course you could have
done a DBT, ended up buying a Sony receiver and been really unhappy with your
sound and wondering why.
Regards,
Mike

Nousaine

(Mkuller) wrote:

(Mkuller) wrote:
However, in my extensive observational listening, I personally have never
heard
two amplifiers that do sound the same.

(Nousaine) wrote:
That's what I mean. What a lucky guy I must be to have selected the only
amplifiers in the world that sound the same for my personal kit. And, how
lucky
were Floyd Toole (1976) and Dave Clark (1987) to have selected the dozen or
so
amplifiers that actually did sound alike for those two experiments.

And how lucky was Steve Maki when he just happened to have on hand the only
amplifier on earth (Yamaha integrated amplifier) that sounded exactly like
Steve Zipser's Pass Aleph's on the trip to Sunshine Stereo.

Isn't it interesting that only people who practice bias controlled listening
tests get access to this special stuff?

Isn't it interesting that only the people who practice bias control in the
form
of DBTs find that all amplifiers sound the same? Could it be that the
flawed
use of DBTs removes subtle audible differences and only reveals gross
frequency
response and loudness differences?

Nope it's more likely that differences that do not have an acoustic source are
avoided.

Nah, DBTs are PERFECT when used this way
even though there is no direct evidence supporting them or the sloppy
protocols
that are used because - get this - they are used in academic psychoacoustic
research!
Regards,
Mike

I love those references to 'sloppy' protocols. What is more sloppy than an
unlevel matched open "comparison" with no data recorded and often one of the
units under test not even in the room?

Could it be that sonic differences that disappear when the listener is
figuratively required to close his eyes are not acoustically based and exist
only in the mind of the listener? Nah; open evaluations are perfect even if
they are never used in scientific inquiry when it canbe avoided.
Charlie Bonitz

"Stewart Pinkerton" schrieb

First of:
You are giving good advice to newcomers, imho.

If in doubt, avoid *anything* with an 'audiophile' label. You will
miss out on some fine (but very overpriced) kit such as Krell and Jeff
Rowland, but the upside is that other kit (Arcam, Bryston)

Well, Arcam woul have been one of my personal subjectivist recomendations if
asked for good sounding hifi for the money...
But I would warn any friend to buy the likes of JV*, Techni*, name a few
more in the same price range because I listened to them (some time ago, so
they may have greatly improved in the meantime).
Are those the grossly flawed (i.e. 70% of the world market) which do sound
different? How come you didnīt recomend any japaneese hifi?

sounds just as good for a fraction of the price,

Objection (just for the record)

and you will have avoided all of
the real charlatans such as Cary, Audio Note and Jadis.

Objection (just for the record)

Additionally, *never* buy speaker cable at more than a couple of bucks
a foot, or interconnects at more than $30 a pair!

Objection (just for the record)

The above advice should provide you with a goodly chunk of additional
budget to spend where it matters - on the speakers.

Yes, speakers do make the greatest difference, then maybe room tuning and
gear placement.

What really puzzles me: You and others have been at the center of this
debate for years now (I droped out reading this ng about a year ago and am
sneeking a look back right now only to find out that nothing has
changed...).

What is your motivation to spend so much time sitting in front of your
monitor if you *know* (or deeply believe) that all that stuff sounds the
same anyway?
Saving the world from overpriced hifi like Krell (i donīt like their sound
;-)) or Jadis (they make music come alive and breethe, imho)?

If good hifi by now (since when, by the way? Early 80s?) is more or less
indistinguishable anyway and therefore no more progress necessary (except
speakers of course), why donīt all those electronic engeneering people do
some proper engeneering in vastly developing branches like car electronics
or missile guiding systems?

Just wondering.

Subjectivist Charlie