Default Jeep Wrangler Amp Install

I'm putting a Rockford Fosgate 100.2 amp and a Rockford Fosgate 12" sub
in my jeep wrangler to run w/ a JVC head unit. Since I only have one
speaker, and limited space, I'm going to make a custom speaker box,
probably 14"x14"x10". The box will go behind the back seat. That
shouldn't be a big problem...

The problem is, I don't have a good mounting location behind the back
seat of the wrangler for the amp. The vertical part of the wheel well
is where I wanted it to go, but it turns out there's not enough space.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't mount the amp to the side or top of
my custom speaker box? I'm worried that it'll be a cooling problem or
that it will heat up the speaker too much... I don't really want to
mount it to the floor of the jeep, since there's so little room in the
"trunk" to store stuff as it is... any ideas?

Thanks
Erik

Chris Mullins

i'd be careful about leaving the sub exposed to the elements. I know my
brother lasted about a day before he got his rained in, not a big deal but
i'm betting that would kill a sub and definately an amp

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

mark

I put 4 down firing eights in my jeep and flush mounted the amp in the
box. Ive never had a problem with overheating and it fits behind my
backseat. Email me if you want a pic

joe.ker

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

There should be room under the back seat.

Branden Nelsen

Mark sent me his install pics and it is a VERY nice install. One of if not
thee best ive seen in a wrangler.

"mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I put 4 down firing eights in my jeep and flush mounted the amp in the
box. Ive never had a problem with overheating and it fits behind my
backseat. Email me if you want a pic

yea it seems like you probably could fit an amp under that back seat,
but does the amp actually heat up substantially? I'd go for installing
it under the seat as long as its not a fire hazard or gonna damage the
amp...

Jason McCabe

One of my amps came with a warning that specifically said not to mount it to
a sub box, so that wasn't an option for me. So I ended up putting my amps
under the back seat:

http://jason.mccabe.home.comcast.net/stereo/

There definitely isn't much room for cooling under there, but it was the
best place I could find to protect the amps from rain, thieves' eyes, etc.
Let's face it, the Wrangler is a pretty terrible vehicle to have to put a
system into, so anything you do will probably be a compromise. Unless you
have tons of money to throw at it.

My class D sub amp never gets too hot, but I do have to go easy on the other
one. By that I mean I can crank it pretty good for 20-30 minutes but then I
have to turn it down for a while. I don't like to drive it into overtemp
protection. Your amp should go into protection before it gets hot enough to
do damage, and it should definitely never get hot enough to be a fire
hazard.

wrote in message
ups.com...
yea it seems like you probably could fit an amp under that back seat,
but does the amp actually heat up substantially? I'd go for installing
it under the seat as long as its not a fire hazard or gonna damage the
amp...

MZ

Because of cooling or some other reason? What if you factor in the
possibility of it getting wet when you get caught in a storm with the top
down?

Under the seat isn't much better in terms of water, especially if you live
in snow country. And heat could become an issue if there isn't much
clearance above the amp. Another alternative would be to mount it to the
box (or elsewhere) and build at least an "awning" for it. There are, of
course, more elaborate methods. And, if the amp isn't too big, some
people mount it in the dash.

wrote in message
ups.com...
yea it seems like you probably could fit an amp under that back seat,
but does the amp actually heat up substantially? I'd go for

installing
it under the seat as long as its not a fire hazard or gonna damage the
amp...

Mister.Lull

General response:

Probably a bad idea, but what about mounting it in that spare tire on
the back (if you have one of those) under the covering on it (if you
have one of those). I know, a lot of "if's", and a strange idea, but
an idea nonetheless...

~Mister.Lull

Jason McCabe

Under the seat isn't much better in terms of water, especially if you live
in snow country. And heat could become an issue if there isn't much
clearance above the amp. Another alternative would be to mount it to the
box (or elsewhere) and build at least an "awning" for it. There are, of
course, more elaborate methods. And, if the amp isn't too big, some
people mount it in the dash.

I thought about this long and hard and all things considered, under the seat
was really my only option. There's just no room in a Jeep and my sub box
was already occupying just about every cubic inch of free space I had. I
wanted to use two rather large amps that just wouldn't fit anywhere else,
including on the box. My setup has already been tested by some pretty good
rainstorms (top up, windows out) and I don't think the amps saw a drop of
water. So overall I'm pretty happy with my decision.

MZ

[...]

It might be worthwhile to try to seal off the frontside of the underside
of the seat to make absolutely sure that it doesn't see water. Some clear
tarp-like plastic might be a good choice.
KaeZoo

"MZ" wrote in message
[...]

Might depend on the year, but in most Wranglers I've seen the rear seats are
removable. The seat brackets are basically just mounted to the floor of the
rear cargo area, so it's actually as high as any part of the vehicle floor.
The area where a rear seat passenger's feet would go is on a lower level.

Jason McCabe

It might be worthwhile to try to seal off the frontside of the underside
of the seat to make absolutely sure that it doesn't see water. Some
clear
tarp-like plastic might be a good choice.

Might depend on the year, but in most Wranglers I've seen the rear seats
are
removable. The seat brackets are basically just mounted to the floor of
the
rear cargo area, so it's actually as high as any part of the vehicle
floor.
The area where a rear seat passenger's feet would go is on a lower level.

Yep, this is true of my '05.

MZ

Might depend on the year, but in most Wranglers I've seen the rear seats are
removable. The seat brackets are basically just mounted to the floor of the
rear cargo area, so it's actually as high as any part of the vehicle floor.
The area where a rear seat passenger's feet would go is on a lower level.

Oh, I thought he was putting it under front seats?

Jeep Wrangler system Jason McCabe Car Audio 9 March 21st 05 04:30 AM
Chevy Colorado - Notes for aftermarket head unit &subwoofer install NoNameHere Car Audio 2 June 12th 04 05:47 PM
Install question on Jeep Wrangler Patrick Mills Car Audio 8 December 16th 03 09:05 AM
Jeep Wrangler audio q Car Audio 0 October 30th 03 04:54 PM
Best Single 10" Sub for a Jeep Wrangler Branden Car Audio 6 July 30th 03 06:39 PM