Joe Boerst

Default Outdoor Generator Power USA

I am currently running an outdoor event that uses a generator.
I haven't seen the generator up close, but it is a trailer about 7 foot
long. (How's that for specs?). I have some strange problems with the
sound including excessive EMI Hum in my mic lines and power amp output
fading in and out. When I originally told the electrician that I
required 2 circuits on the same phase, he looked at me funny and said he
could not guarantee phase. The electrician is unable to get his lights
running properly, so he may be creating problems. I am using 2 circuits
off the dimmer rack that individually check out OK (Hot, Neutral,
Ground). But when I measure Hot to Hot, I get 60 volts. Can anyone shed
some light on using generators or what I should look for?

Thanks

Joe Boerst
Richard Crowley

"Joe Boerst" wrote ...
I am currently running an outdoor event that uses a generator.
I haven't seen the generator up close, but it is a trailer about 7 foot
long. (How's that for specs?). I have some strange problems with the sound
including excessive EMI Hum in my mic lines and power amp output fading in
and out. When I originally told the electrician that I required 2 circuits
on the same phase, he looked at me funny and said he could not guarantee
phase.

This topic is regularly discussed over in news:alt.audio.pro.live-sound
There are people there who are dealing with this kind of thing every week.

The electrician is unable to get his lights running properly, so he may be
creating problems. I am using 2 circuits off the dimmer rack that
individually check out OK (Hot, Neutral, Ground). But when I measure Hot
to Hot, I get 60 volts. Can anyone shed some light on using generators or
what I should look for?

You are using circuits "off the dimmer rack"? I hope that is a typo!
Otherwise, my first step would be to get power direct from the
genny and not via any lighting dimmers, etc.

Why does "hot-to-hot" matter to you? Are you using any
equipment that takes multi-phase? Otherwise the equipment
never sees (or cares) about what it's hot is relative to anybody
elses'.

Is the genny and power distro grounded appropriately?
(As required by local regulations, etc.)

Ethan Winer

Joe,

I haven't seen the generator up close, but it is a trailer about 7 foot

long. (How's that for specs?).

ROF,L.

I don't have anything of substance to offer, but I saw your name and wanted
to say Hi. It's been at least 15 years ago since I saw you last!

--Ethan