Posted to rec.audio.tech
Stingrae Stingrae is offline

Default Replacing Tweeters - Help please!!!

I have just noticed that my one of my old Sony speakers's tweeter has
stopped working. I have isolated the fact that it is the tweeter itself and
not the internal wiring. I have looked online and see that I can buy
replacement tweeters, but since the speakers are so old there are no
details on them, therfore I was wondering if anyone could help me on
deciding the wattage of the tweeters that I should buy.

The speaker is "100w nominal & 200watt music" (from the back of the speaker)
does the tweeter need to be 100w or 200w or can it be lower, IE 50w? I have
seen 50w tweeters at reasonable prices.

I thought that the wattage sent to the speaker might be split over the
woofer, mid and tweeter, and wondered if there was a way of knowing the
ratio and therefore working out how big the tweeter should be, in terms of
wattage. Or am I going about this all wrong?!!!

Regards & Thanks in advance.

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl Uppiano Karl Uppiano is offline

"Stingrae" wrote in message
I have just noticed that my one of my old Sony speakers's tweeter has
stopped working. I have isolated the fact that it is the tweeter itself and
not the internal wiring. I have looked online and see that I can buy
replacement tweeters, but since the speakers are so old there are no
details on them, therfore I was wondering if anyone could help me on
deciding the wattage of the tweeters that I should buy.

The speaker is "100w nominal & 200watt music" (from the back of the
speaker) does the tweeter need to be 100w or 200w or can it be lower, IE
50w? I have seen 50w tweeters at reasonable prices.

Speaker power ratings are extremely vague. Tweeters are typically rated for
much lower power than the speaker system as a whole. For example, my woofers
are rated at 60 watts RMS. Midrange, 60 watts RMS. Tweeters, 20 watts RMS. I
drive them with an amplifier rated at 100 watts RMS per channel. However,
the tweeter documentation recommends not to test with tones exceeding 5
watts continuous RMS.

I thought that the wattage sent to the speaker might be split over the
woofer, mid and tweeter, and wondered if there was a way of knowing the
ratio and therefore working out how big the tweeter should be, in terms of
wattage. Or am I going about this all wrong?!!!

Your best bet would be to find OEM tweeters exactly like the originals. Even
then, you should replace them in pairs, IMHO. If you cannot find exact
replacements, my personal inclination would be simply to replace the
speakers unless you have a lot of cash invested, or a strong emotional
attachment to them. It could be difficult to find non-OEM tweeters that
match the original dispersion, frequency response, sensitivity and so on.
But it depends on how big of a project you are up for. If you don't mind a
lot of tinkering and tweaking, then start collecting tweeters and let the
fun begin!

This is just my opinion. I am sure others will post second opinions.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Stingrae" wrote in message
I have just noticed that my one of my old Sony speakers's tweeter has
stopped working. I have isolated the fact that it is the tweeter itself
and not the internal wiring. I have looked online and see that I can
buy replacement tweeters, but since the speakers are so old there are
no details on them, therfore I was wondering if anyone could help me on
deciding the wattage of the tweeters that I should buy.

The speaker is "100w nominal & 200watt music" (from the back of the
speaker) does the tweeter need to be 100w or 200w or can it be lower,
IE 50w? I have seen 50w tweeters at reasonable prices.

I thought that the wattage sent to the speaker might be split over the
woofer, mid and tweeter, and wondered if there was a way of knowing
the ratio and therefore working out how big the tweeter should be, in
terms of wattage. Or am I going about this all wrong?!!!

Power handling capacity would not seem like a primary
factor in seeking a replacement driver. Do you know the
crossover frequency? Can you even find available drivers
with similar mechanical/physical characteristics? I'd bet
that it is a losing proposition and that you are unlikely to
find anything that will maintain the operating characteristics
("sound"). At the very least, I would expect to replace
BOTH of the tweeters just to maintain some sort of
stereo balance.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

Karl Uppiano wrote:
"Stingrae" wrote in message
[...]

My opinion is the same:- Time to change the 'speakers unless you can
find identical tweeters and/or are prepared for a lot of
experimentation. Whatever you do, you need to make the same change to
both 'speakers to maintain stereo performance.

Best of luck

S.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Stingrae" wrote in message
[...]

I would just check the ohms and watts on the back of the tweeter and
then replace both of them with tweeters that have the same ohms and
same - if not higher - watts. Hopefully this info is there. If not I
would just worry about the ohms which can be checked with an omh meter.
If it isn't written on the back and you don't have an omh meter, I'm
sure you can use one at the locations listed below.

You just need to have the old tweeter in hand so you can match up the
shape and screw pattern. You might have to do some cutting in order for
the replacement tweeters to fit if you can't find tweeters with a
similar shape.

I HATE Radio Shack but they do sell replacement tweeters. Check out the
car audio section in places like Best Buy and Circuit City. Or just car
audio places in general but most of them are OVERPRICED! They will sell
you a $15 set of tweeters for $100. Do NOT let them make a sucker out
of you. Walk away if they don't have something reasonably priced.

Check out your yellow pages under "speaker repair" if you have a shop
in your area they also sell tweeters.

As another poster mentioned, you might be better off buying a new set
of speakers if those Sonys are old and out-dated. I don't recall Sony
ever making that great of a speaker, but I could be wrong. (Maybe some
classics from the 70's?)

I paid $70 a pair for my last set of replacement tweeters for some OLD,
outdated, Polk Audio speakers that are currently being used in a second
home theater system. (rear speakers) But looking back, I could have
bought a pair of relatively cheap speakers from Best Buy (KLH's) for
the same price that would have worked just as well and have the SAME
tweeters in them. LOL

Good luck!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

Ron wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Stingrae" wrote in message
[...]

I meant to add that the 50 watt tweeters that you found online would
be fine as long as you aren't worried about a perfect fit., just make
sure they are the same ohms.

With todays tweeters you really don't have to worry about the wattage
on them being too low as you did in the "old days". Most products built
today are pretty much "bullet proof" unless they are abused.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Ron wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Stingrae" wrote in message
[...]

This, I think, is very bad advice.

Loudspeaker systems are *designed* to work with specific drive units.
It's *not* just a case of matching ohms and power handling. What about
sensitivity, dispersion characteristics, crossover frequencies and
that's before even considering the frequency response of the original
unit and whether the crossover included any equalisation components.

Just changing a tweeter for one that physically fits will result in a
completely different loudspeaker system, one that *might* just be better
than the original, but in all likelihood, will be worse, possibly a lot
worse.

S.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

Serge Auckland wrote:
Ron wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Stingrae" wrote in message
[...]

If it is an OLD set of OUTDATED speakers, that you don't wanna put a
lot of money into, as I mentioned, then it is perfectly good advice. I
have a pair of Polk Audios that are living proof of it. My dad, some
old Pioneers, that work and sound just fine with the Realistic tweeters
I installed for him.

We aren't talking about a set of B&W's, Paradigm's, Boston Acoustics,
Hales, etc here, we are talking about a pair of old Sonys that someone
wants a cheap fix for.

At least that is the impression that I'm getting, because I don't think
Sony made any "classic" speakers worth putting a lot of money into.
Like I also wrote I might be wrong on that but I've never seen any. To
me, Sony speakers are in the JVC class.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

Stingrae wrote:
[...]

Do you have a model number for your speakers?

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Ron wrote:
Serge Auckland wrote:
Ron wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Stingrae" wrote in message
[...]

If the 'speakers are for use in a garage or workshop, then maybe the
advice is OK, but for serious listening it really isn't. The OP didn't
give me the impression that they were use in his garage.

No sense in falling out about this.

S.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Ron" wrote ...
Do you have a model number for your speakers?

Even if he had the model number for the speakers, and
for the drivers, his chance of finding OEM replacements
are slim and none. Unless he could find another blown-
out pair and transplant the good tweeter. The OP really
has an extremely low chance of seeing a good outcome
from this exercise. Almost certainly not worth the expense
and/or effort.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

Serge Auckland wrote:
Ron wrote:
If it is an OLD set of OUTDATED speakers, that you don't wanna put a
lot of money into, as I mentioned, then it is perfectly good advice. I
have a pair of Polk Audios that are living proof of it. My dad, some
old Pioneers, that work and sound just fine with the Realistic tweeters
I installed for him.

We aren't talking about a set of B&W's, Paradigm's, Boston Acoustics,
Hales, etc here, we are talking about a pair of old Sonys that someone
wants a cheap fix for.

At least that is the impression that I'm getting, because I don't think
Sony made any "classic" speakers worth putting a lot of money into.
Like I also wrote I might be wrong on that but I've never seen any. To
me, Sony speakers are in the JVC class.

If the 'speakers are for use in a garage or workshop, then maybe the
advice is OK, but for serious listening it really isn't.

Most ppl don't use Sony speakers for "serious" listening.

And my Polk's sound just fine, for "serious" listening. I bought almost
idenical tweeters from a speaker repair shop that were HALF of the
price that Polk wanted.

The OP didn't give me the impression that they were use in his garage.

From the OP "old Sony speakers's" " but since the speakers are so old"

So since they are old, that automatically means they are for garage
use? I use my OLD Polk Audios, with non OEM REPLACEMENT tweeters in my
secondary HT system for the rear and they sound just fine. They also
sound fine used alone. (for small mains)

No sense in falling out about this.

Then why do you keep responding?

What Sony speakers are worth putting a lot of money into?

And if they were YOUR speakers, what would YOU do?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Ron" wrote ...
Do you have a model number for your speakers?

Even if he had the model number for the speakers, and
for the drivers, his chance of finding OEM replacements
are slim and none. Unless he could find another blown-
out pair and transplant the good tweeter. The OP really
has an extremely low chance of seeing a good outcome
from this exercise. Almost certainly not worth the expense
and/or effort.

I know that. I'm just wanna make a point to someone.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Ron wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Ron" wrote ...
Do you have a model number for your speakers?

Even if he had the model number for the speakers, and
for the drivers, his chance of finding OEM replacements
are slim and none. Unless he could find another blown-
out pair and transplant the good tweeter. The OP really
has an extremely low chance of seeing a good outcome
from this exercise. Almost certainly not worth the expense
and/or effort.

I know that. I'm just wanna make a point to someone.

Japanese speakers from the 70's on were generally built with much the
same parts, from the same manufacturers. Actually, finding an OEM
replacement for many is not so slim. As previous posters have noted, if
the speakers were high-end, nothing short of an exact replacement would
be acceptable (unless the OP had the engineering chops, documentation
and test equipment to affect an upgrade or at least perfect match).

OTOH, given the commonality of OEM drivers across various Japanese
brands, and further the likely uncritical application involved, slapping
a set of exact *fitting* tweets in the boxes will probably achieve an
acceptable result. In fact, the exact--or 'near enough'--tweets are
probably available. If you see one that looks exactly like your old
one, it's probably at least from the same OEM manufacturer...maybe the
same unit.

Stick something in there. Observe polarity and impedance (can't be
measured with an ohm meter, BTW...at least not exactly...go by the
markings). If the crossover frequency and efficiency can be roughly
determined, so much the better. Dispersion is really not an issue with
cheap speakers. Get the widest you can afford. There's no such thing
as an exact dispersion match between any woofer and any tweeter. It's
all compromise.

*ANT* reasonable match will probably sound better than just one tweeter.

Have fun...but don't spend too much money. Very likely the originals
cost Sony less than $10 apiece. Buy one for the defective unit and see
how you like it. If you do, definitely buy another to match the 'good'
speaker.

jak

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Frank Vuotto Frank Vuotto is offline

Go he

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=30

and try to find something that will fit in the hole (buy 2)

Anything that costs over $10 will be better than what is/was in your
Sonys

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

Serge Auckland wrote:
Ron wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:
[...]

Serge, I just went through some old receipts and paperwork, and I was
mistaken about the price I wrote.

I bought 2 aftermarket tweeters for my Polk Audio Monitor 4's for $40,
from a speaker repair shop.

Polk, wanted $40 a PIECE for the OEM tweeters.

The only difference between the aftermarkets made by a company called
"Foster" and the OEM's from Polk, was the size of the magnets. The
magnets on the Foster's were slightly smaller than on the Polks.

I could have bought a pair of KLH 911B's from Best Buy at the time for
$60 a pair that were pretty comparable and had the SAME tweeters as the
Fosters/Polks.

Here are some pics of the speakers and their aftermarket tweeters. What
can I say, you inspired me. LOL

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...IM001973-1.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/IM001976.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/IM001975.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Stingrae" wrote in message

I have just noticed that my one of my old Sony speakers's
tweeter has stopped working. I have isolated the fact
that it is the tweeter itself and not the internal
wiring. I have looked online and see that I can buy
replacement tweeters, but since the speakers are so old
there are no details on them, therfore I was wondering
if anyone could help me on deciding the wattage of the
tweeters that I should buy.

My car's engine just died, it's a V-6. I've seen online that I can buy a
wide variety of V-6 engines, so I want to buy an engine and do all the work
myself. I've decided not to try to get an exact replacment from the company
that built my car, which I could do. Which engine should I buy? Oh, and by
the way I've never, ever worked on cars, never even changed the oil.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen Peter Larsen is offline

Stingrae wrote:

I have just noticed that my one of my old Sony speakers's tweeter
has stopped working.

How large are those tweeeters?

The speaker is "100w nominal & 200watt music"

That is system powerhandling, not component powerhandling. The spec may
be defined by sales clerks.

does the tweeter need to be 100w or 200w or can it be lower,
IE 50w? I have seen 50w tweeters at reasonable prices.

Tweeter powerhandling is likely to be in single digit watts in terms of
RMS, anything else is nonsense considering the size of the component and
the practicality that it should not attempt to glow like a light bulb,
but just emit treble. Tweeter peak powerhandling may be surprisingly
high provided frequency restrictions are adhered to.

I thought that the wattage sent to the speaker might be split
over the woofer, mid and tweeter,

Correct.

and wondered if there was a way of knowing the ratio and therefore
working out how big the tweeter should be, in terms of
wattage.

What you need to know or determine by measuring on the functional box,
voltage output across loudspeaker unit terminals will do nicely, is
cross-over frequency and steepnes. When you know that look for a pair of
tweeters with ferrofluid that are specified for those conditions.
Replace both tweeters. The Peerless (and associated brands) and Monacor
catalogues may be a good place to search. Efficiency is likely to be
reasonably similar, but you may need to toss in a pair of adjustable
L-pads.

Or am I going about this all wrong?!!!

If you see it as an opportunity for a learning experience, then it is a
good quest,the outcome may be good, tolerable or firewood.

If you want to save money at the expense of using time ... perhaps, but
it is getting less certain that you will succeed, loudspeaker projekts
tend to gobble up cash in mysterious ways.

If you want good sound fast you should look at things like the KEF
catalogue, they or any other brand, cheap or costly, may or may not be
to your liking, you should listen, but their stuff tends to be cost
efficient, also their budget designs. There are many good products out
there ....

Tim

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Serge Auckland wrote:

Loudspeaker systems are *designed* to work with specific drive
units. It's *not* just a case of matching ohms and power
handling.

True. But it is a Sony, and while Sony are known for many kinds of
excellence, loudspeaker systems is not at the top of the list. My bet
when suggesting a tweeter with ferrofluds was - and is - that it is
likely to work reasonably well. One without would be too wild a gamble
because an undamped tweeter resonance is not very well sounding.

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 07:46:18 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

I have just noticed that my one of my old Sony speakers's
tweeter has stopped working. I have isolated the fact
that it is the tweeter itself and not the internal
wiring. I have looked online and see that I can buy
replacement tweeters, but since the speakers are so old
there are no details on them, therfore I was wondering
if anyone could help me on deciding the wattage of the
tweeters that I should buy.

My car's engine just died, it's a V-6. I've seen online that I can buy a
wide variety of V-6 engines, so I want to buy an engine and do all the work
myself. I've decided not to try to get an exact replacment from the company
that built my car, which I could do. Which engine should I buy? Oh, and by
the way I've never, ever worked on cars, never even changed the oil.

Yeah. But if he gets something approximately the right size and
shape, it will probably make the right kind of noise. If it sounds
drastically different to the other speaker, swap the tweeter in that
one too. This is only consumer audio, for goodness' sake!

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Arny Krueger wrote:

My car's engine just died, it's a V-6. I've seen online that
I can buy a wide variety of V-6 engines, so I want to buy an engine
and do all the work myself. I've decided not to try to get an
exact replacment from the company that built my car, which
I could do.

It's a Sony, it is not a pro range JBL!

Many nice things can be said about japanese manufacturers, they are for
instance very good at not wasting money on having things on shelves for
many years, they much prefer to sell a new product instead of selling
parts for an old product.

I am not even sure which way the CO2 and other environmental maths would
go on that .... discarding rather than repairing may be environmentally
sound, but I would like to see proof of that.

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Laurence Payne" lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in
message
wrote:

[...]

If noise is all he wants, maybe he should just disconnect the other tweeter
and again have well-matched speakers. I have heard some cheap speakers that
were so bad that shutting down the tweeters actually made them sound better.

OTOH, Sony would probably sell him an exact replacement for a reasonble
price.

If it sounds drastically different to the other
speaker, swap the tweeter in that one too. This is only
consumer audio, for goodness' sake!

IME, Sony has sold some non-trivial speakers over the years.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Arny Krueger wrote:

IME, Sony has sold some non-trivial speakers over the years.

Yes, they have had some constructive input from the scandinavian
loudspeaker design sphere, which is why I suggested the Peerless
catalogue as one of the places to search for "something similar".

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Stingrae Stingrae is offline

Can I first say WOW!!!

I am amazed at the discussions over my tweeter problem, and of course it was
extremely helpful thank you for al your advice.
I took it on board and did a combination within in my abilities!

Firstly the speakers are Sony APM-181 ES. And they have a lot of sentimental
value & I can't afford a really good quality pair at the moment! I purchased
a Yamaha RX V359 Amp/reciever and when I hooked everything up I then could
here the difference between the speakers. That was when I sent the message.

Since then I have removed the tweeters and they were 8ohms, that was about
all the information I could get from them. I then went to Maplin, and showed
them the tweeter & went through their catalogue & found the new ones that I
have installed (details on the picture). The sound is even better than
before, not the prettiest remedial work, but I'm happy!

Thank you for your advice.

Regards,

Tim.

(PS. Apologies for the blurred pictures)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

Stingrae wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you found some tweeters that worked for you. Now those square
woofers on the other hand......Hopefully you will never have a problem
with them.

BTW, your pictures turned out a lot better than the ones I posted!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article . com, "Ron" wrote:

Stingrae wrote:
[...]

That was a prety good replacement, in that it should work OK. I had visions of large
paper tweeters. The only thing I can gripe about is that aluminum
domed midrange.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Stingrae wrote:

Can I first say WOW!!!

I am amazed at the discussions over my tweeter problem, and of course it was
extremely helpful thank you for al your advice.
I took it on board and did a combination within in my abilities!

Based on the image only the new tweeter ought to be better than the old
.... it does at least not have a metal membrane!

Thank you for your advice.

Thank you for giving feedback about the outcome!

Tim.

Peter Larsen
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Stingrae" wrote in message

I have just noticed that my one of my old Sony speakers's
tweeter has stopped working. I have isolated the fact
that it is the tweeter itself and not the internal
wiring. I have looked online and see that I can buy
replacement tweeters, but since the speakers are so old
there are no details on them, therfore I was wondering
if anyone could help me on deciding the wattage of the
tweeters that I should buy.

My car's engine just died, it's a V-6. I've seen online that I can buy a
wide variety of V-6 engines, so I want to buy an engine and do all the work
myself. I've decided not to try to get an exact replacment from the company
that built my car, which I could do. Which engine should I buy? Oh, and by
the way I've never, ever worked on cars, never even changed the oil.

Oh gee...is that done by unscrewing four screws and undoing two wires?
(then reversing the process)?

If so, go right ahead and good luck. Otherwise, it's not even remotely
the same issue. I'd put it more at the skill level of changing a guitar
string. I know lots of guys who can change a guitar string. Most of
them don't even know how to change their oil.

jak

Posted to rec.audio.tech
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
snip
Yeah. But if he gets something approximately the right
size and shape, it will probably make the right kind of
noise.

If noise is all he wants, maybe he should just disconnect the other tweeter
and again have well-matched speakers. I have heard some cheap speakers that
were so bad that shutting down the tweeters actually made them sound better.

If noise is all he wants then he could run your posts through a speech
synthesizer....

OTOH, Sony would probably sell him an exact replacement for a reasonble
price.

Maybe...if it's still available.

If it sounds drastically different to the other
speaker, swap the tweeter in that one too. This is only
consumer audio, for goodness' sake!

By all means swap the other one. It's going to sound different in any
case; and since one's already blown....

IME, Sony has sold some non-trivial speakers over the years.

I'm only aware of a couple and with the benefit of hindsight (now that
he's posted his fix), I don't think his were the ones.

jak

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"jakdedert" wrote in message
.. .
If so, go right ahead and good luck. Otherwise, it's not even remotely
the same issue. I'd put it more at the skill level of changing a guitar
string. I know lots of guys who can change a guitar string. Most of
them don't even know how to change their oil.

That's true, some of them don't know what string gauge is either, or round
wound Vs flat wound etc. I guess you could even fit nylon strings to an
electric guitar *IF* you really wanted to :-)
The affect on sound may even be similar to throwing any old tweeter in a box
without knowing the sensitivity, crossover characteristics etc. of the
original .
However that cheap Chinese tweeter may be a good match for that box which
was designed by a marketing team by the looks of it.
(may be the same one who designed woofers in the shape of a grand piano,
because that *must* sound better right :-)
Probably quite difficult to make it sound any worse I imagine :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"jakdedert" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Stingrae" wrote in message

I have just noticed that my one of my old Sony
speakers's tweeter has stopped working. I have isolated
the fact that it is the tweeter itself and not the
internal wiring. I have looked online and see that I
can buy replacement tweeters, but since the speakers
are so old there are no details on them, therfore I
was wondering if anyone could help me on deciding the
wattage of the tweeters that I should buy.

My car's engine just died, it's a V-6. I've seen online
that I can buy a wide variety of V-6 engines, so I want
to buy an engine and do all the work myself. I've
decided not to try to get an exact replacment from the
company that built my car, which I could do. Which
engine should I buy? Oh, and by the way I've never, ever
worked on cars, never even changed the oil.

Oh gee...is that done by unscrewing four screws and
undoing two wires? (then reversing the process)?

Oh come on. You know very well that properly changing a job is not a matter
of simple mechanics.

If so, go right ahead and good luck. Otherwise, it's not
even remotely the same issue.

Aside from the mechanics of swapping components, it is a very similar issue.

One key mistake that the OP made - not checking with Sony to see if an exact
replacement was available. That would reduce the question to one of simple
mechanics.

I'd put it more at the
skill level of changing a guitar string.

Wrong, guitar strings are designed to be user-replacable, and to a great
degree they are sold as generic items. Tweeter drivers fail both tests.

I know lots of guys who can change a guitar string. Most of them don't
even know how to change their oil.

Guitar strings aren't put inside the instrument. Oil filters are in the
engine compartment, not on the hood.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"jakdedert" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Stingrae" wrote in message

I have just noticed that my one of my old Sony
speakers's tweeter has stopped working. I have isolated
the fact that it is the tweeter itself and not the
internal wiring. I have looked online and see that I
can buy replacement tweeters, but since the speakers
are so old there are no details on them, therfore I
was wondering if anyone could help me on deciding the
wattage of the tweeters that I should buy.

My car's engine just died, it's a V-6. I've seen online
that I can buy a wide variety of V-6 engines, so I want
to buy an engine and do all the work myself. I've
decided not to try to get an exact replacment from the
company that built my car, which I could do. Which
engine should I buy? Oh, and by the way I've never, ever
worked on cars, never even changed the oil.

Oh gee...is that done by unscrewing four screws and
undoing two wires? (then reversing the process)?

Correction:

Oh come on. You know very well that properly changing a
tweeter is not a matter of simple mechanics.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"jakdedert" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Stingrae" wrote in message

[...]

At that level, it certainly is.

Comparing it to swapping an engine (even a swapping an identical engine)
is just ridiculous...but you knew that. You just like to read what
you've written and imagine yourself as clever.

jak