Neil

Default Problem: Some CDs Don't Play New Philips 963SA DVD Player

"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote in message news:yT1cb.559655$o%2.245191@sccrnsc02...
"crazysaybi" wrote in message
Anybody have this same problem:

Philips 963SA DVD player plays some CDs fine. But with other CDs, just
displays "Reading" for several seconds then ejects the CD. These CDs I'm
having problems with work fine in other CD and DVD players that I own.

One
of the CDs I'm having a problem with is brand new. None of them seem to
have any scratches on them either, but like I said these CDs that don't

work
in the Philips DVD player work in other DVD players.

There's a website somewhere (don't know it offhand) that lists all the
current copy protected CD's so you can check it against that as they are
notorious for causing problems. I believe I saw a link to the site on the
"Exact Audio Copier" website.

I'm wondering, especially given the DVD player's erratic behavior, if
it's malfunctioning. Could the laser be misaligned or something like
that?

What does the manual say?

If the player's under warranty, return it and/or get warranty service.
crazysaybi

Still under warranty. Checked out the manual and all it says is to check
that the CD label is facing up=D I went to Philips Online Chat Support and
they told me to call the Support Center. Big help they were. I'm not too
concerned. I'm in Hong Kong and these CDs cost less to buy here than if I
bought them in the US... but they're distributed by a company in China so
I'm assuming they're inferior CD-R quality. Thanks for the help folks.

"Neil" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Neil

"crazysaybi" wrote in message ...
Still under warranty. Checked out the manual and all it says is to check
that the CD label is facing up=D

Hmmm...excellent advice! (I have a Pioneer CD player with a special
platter, so the CD label needs to face down--confusing, eh?)

I went to Philips Online Chat Support and
they told me to call the Support Center. Big help they were. I'm not too
concerned. I'm in Hong Kong and these CDs cost less to buy here than if I
bought them in the US... but they're distributed by a company in China so
I'm assuming they're inferior CD-R quality. Thanks for the help folks.

Does the Philips play better-quality CDs and CD-Rs OK? Then your
diagnosis may be correct.

However, given that that the Philips is still under warranty, you
might try to get some warranty repair on it, or maybe the laser or
something could be tuned up a little bit. When you bought the Philips,
Philips claimed the player would play all CD-Rs, so it seems to me
that the Philips isn't living up to that promise and your
expectations. I realize you may not want to go that far, but I suggest
this in case you do want to pursue this issue.

Another thought: Are there some HK newsgroup or web discussion groups
you could post in? You might get more local advice there. (I'm in the
US.) A few years ago, I looked at some discussion groups in Singapore,
so maybe there or in some Asian-oriented discussion area you could
find some folks who would understand your situation with the Philips
and the Chinese CD-Rs better than people like me. Your HK dealers
might be another source of info.

(snip)
crazysaybi

Thanks Neil. I like to milk my warranty so I got the Philips folks here in
HK to come out and pay a visit to this machine. Like I said, I'm not overly
concerned because the DVDs and CDs that DO work actually sound and/or look
great.

I read a review on epinions.com where someone had the same probs as I'm
having... although my player doesn't seem to be as resilient as the person
whom did the review. Anyhow, thanks again for the time.

"Neil" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Neil

"crazysaybi" wrote in message ...
Thanks Neil. I like to milk my warranty so I got the Philips folks here in
HK to come out and pay a visit to this machine.

Wow! Very impressive--I probably would've given up before then. But
you're paying for the warranty, so you might as well get the service.

Like I said, I'm not overly
concerned because the DVDs and CDs that DO work actually sound and/or look
great.

I read a review on epinions.com where someone had the same probs as I'm
having... although my player doesn't seem to be as resilient as the person
whom did the review. Anyhow, thanks again for the time.

No problem. Glad you saw the problem through with Philips.

(snip)