Harry Houdini

Default DIY Microphone preamp attenuator

Hi!

Does anyone know how to solder up a cheap but effective attenuator for
a mic preamp putting more signal than my converter inputs can handle
on XLR cable? I'd like to knock 15dB off without affecting the tone,
if possible.

Thanks!
Richard Crowley

"Harry Houdini" wrote ...
Does anyone know how to solder up a cheap but effective attenuator for
a mic preamp putting more signal than my converter inputs can handle
on XLR cable? I'd like to knock 15dB off without affecting the tone,
if possible.

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/

Harry Houdini

Thanks, Richard! Much appreciated.

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:00:50 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"Harry Houdini" wrote ...
Does anyone know how to solder up a cheap but effective attenuator for
a mic preamp putting more signal than my converter inputs can handle
on XLR cable? I'd like to knock 15dB off without affecting the tone,
if possible.

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/

GregS

In article , Harry Houdini wrote:
Thanks, Richard! Much appreciated.

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:00:50 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"Harry Houdini" wrote ...
Does anyone know how to solder up a cheap but effective attenuator for
a mic preamp putting more signal than my converter inputs can handle
on XLR cable? I'd like to knock 15dB off without affecting the tone,
if possible.

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/

There might even be adaptors available somewhere. On most non XLR
devices I've used such as camcorders and boom box cassette recorders,
the mic input must be attenuated to record anything of decent volume.
Hardly any camcorder can record a band. I finally purchased
one that I found out I could, using the built in mic. I assumed it
couldn't and was prepared to add an attenuated mic, but it worked out great
for me.

greg