Mmm_moo_cows

Default Microphone, preamp and recording.

Hi,

I've played the guitar for near on 10 years now but the songs I record
just sound poor. This is becuase I'm often using a line out etc
plugged straight into my pc. Its ok for clean (heard something about
reverb makes it ok) but when I record distortion is too flat and
sounds poor (no reverb or dynamics to it I suppose). But lady luck
has thrown me some money and I can splash out on some more proper
equipment.

So, I really want to get into a microphone etc. I heard the shure
sm57 is the best for its money on its price range and will do they
job. But someone mentioned to me about preamp for it. They said it
will not really work plugging the microphone directly into the
soundcard, I bought a m audiophile 24/96 a few years back (sounds good
enough but a little quite).

So, do I need a pre amp? and if so can anyone suggest any makes and
models that would work well with the shure sm57?- because I know
nothing about this area of music. Budget wise doesnt really matter, I
dont want a cheap preamp, but I dont want to pay for a top of the
range expenive one. Sort of like the shure sm57, good qualtiy and
moderatly priced. (if the shure is dodgey mic then any suggestions
are much welcome about mic's)

So really, this will only be used for guitar, recording a mix of
styles (heavy metal, blues, laid back clean, jazz etc) being placed
infront of a standard tuba amp.

Thanks for any help in advance, it will be most appreciated.

Jon.

ScotFraser

(if the shure is dodgey mic then any suggestions
are much welcome about mic's)

No, the SM57 isn't dodgy at all for use on guitar amps. Guys who have access to
$5,000 mics still use SM57s a lot. Since I mostly record jazz guitarists, the
SM57 is a bit thin for the dark Wes Montgomerish jazz sound, but it's fine for
rock. Another good mic for amps is the Sennheiser MD609. It's different, not
better or worse, a little more rounded, slightly rolled off in the upper mids,
costs a few bucks more than the SM57. Moving up the price scale, the Sennheiser
MD421 is my current first pick mic for guitar amps.
Yes, you will need a preamp to boost the mic signal up to line level.

Scott Fraser

ScotFraser

So really, this will only be used for guitar, recording a mix of
styles (heavy metal, blues, laid back clean, jazz etc) being placed
infront of a standard tuba amp.

Heh heh, I love typos. Gives you stuff you could never come up with otherwise.

Scott Fraser

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I've played the guitar for near on 10 years now but the songs I record
just sound poor. This is becuase I'm often using a line out etc
plugged straight into my pc.

So, I really want to get into a microphone etc. I heard the shure
sm57 is the best for its money on its price range and will do they
job. But someone mentioned to me about preamp for it. They said it
will not really work plugging the microphone directly into the
soundcard, I bought a m audiophile 24/96 a few years back (sounds good
enough but a little quite).

So, do I need a pre amp?

Yes. The Audiophile card has the proper input sensitivity for a "line"
level, and you need to amplify the "mic" level in order to match a
microphone up to the card. This is what a mic preamplifier does.

and if so can anyone suggest any makes and
models that would work well with the shure sm57?

This is such an open question. The best mic preamp I've used with an
SM57 is a Great River MP2, but that costs over $2,000 so I don't
imagine you're quite ready for that sort of investment. (it's also the
best mic preamp I've used with many other mics I own, some of which
are worth more than the preamp, thank goodness).

I think you'll find that using any decent microphone will be such a
significant improvement over plugging directly into your sound card
that you really don't need to worry about which preamp is the best.
You might want to look into the very reasonably priced Studio Projects
VTB-1.

There are many other microphones that you could use, but the SM57 is
probably not a bad first mic for using on a guitar amplifier. It may
not always be the best, but it's certainly one of the standard choices
of many engineers.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

reddred

"Mmm_moo_cows" wrote in message
om...

So, I really want to get into a microphone etc. I heard the shure
sm57 is the best for its money on its price range and will do they
job.

The 57 is a good choice for your first microphone.

So, do I need a pre amp?

Yes

and if so can anyone suggest any makes and
models that would work well with the shure sm57?-

I'd probably go ahead and buy a small mixer, from mackie or soundcraft. You
may not need more than one preamp, but you could easily spend as much on a
single pre and not get any appreciable difference in sound quality. Having a
mixer with a PC setup helps greatly with monitoring as well - you can run
the mix back into the mixer, bypass any latency issues you may have, and
monitor with headphones while you record. It is also easy to adjust
monitoring levels with a mixer.

You might also appreciate those extra pres when you want another 57 to mic
in stereo.

jb.

Pooh Bear

sycochkn wrote:

Shure probably makes a nice little 4 input preamp mixer.

Behringer *definitely* make one for likely a *tiny* fraction of what a Shure
mixer would cost with way better specs and more features.

Shure are *not* a great mixer maker.

Graham

Arny Krueger

"Mmm_moo_cows" wrote in message
om

So, I really want to get into a microphone etc. I heard the shure
sm57 is the best for its money on its price range and will do they
job.

Howevcer, it's not a very good vocal mic. You don't say you need one, but it
seems like sooner or later everybody wants to talk or speak into a recorder.

But someone mentioned to me about preamp for it. They said it
will not really work plugging the microphone directly into the
soundcard, I bought a m audiophile 24/96 a few years back (sounds good
enough but a little quite).

The best cheap but good way to handle this is a small, cheap mixer. If all
you're ever going to use at one time is one mic, then the Behringer UB502
will get the job done for under $50.

Raymond

Jon whote

[...]

Yes, an SM57 will do a bang up job on a rocknroll guitar. Sennheiser 421 is
another all around mic to. There are some other things to think about when your
recording a guitar to like.. mic placement and even what the room your in
sounds like.
I can't really teach you (or anyone) in less than say...5-10 years on how I got
to where I'm at today (and I'm still learning). If you want to try a long wide
hallway or an empty room with some wood wall's (or maybe partly wood) you may
get an OK sound.

ScotFraser

Howevcer, it's not a very good vocal mic.

With the foam windscreen a 57 can be a perfectly decent vocal mic.

Scott Fraser

ScotFraser

Howevcer, it's not a very good vocal mic.

With the foam windscreen a 57 can be a perfectly decent vocal mic.

Scott Fraser
Pooh Bear

ScotFraser wrote:

Howevcer, it's not a very good vocal mic.

With the foam windscreen a 57 can be a perfectly decent vocal mic.

Scott Fraser

Please advise. How does the foam help an SM57 be decent ? I'm sure it
stops the obvious P's etc.. but that applies to any mic.

Graham

ScotFraser

Please advise. How does the foam help an SM57 be decent ?

Cuts the pops. It sounds like a better 58.

I'm sure it
stops the obvious P's etc.. but that applies to any mic.

Lots of mics specifically intended for vocals have a built in pop filter. The
57 doesn't, which is why I recommend adding one.

Scott Fraser

TonyP

"ScotFraser" wrote in message
Please advise. How does the foam help an SM57 be decent ?

Cuts the pops. It sounds like a better 58.

I'm sure it
stops the obvious P's etc.. but that applies to any mic.

Lots of mics specifically intended for vocals have a built in pop filter.

The
57 doesn't, which is why I recommend adding one.

And that makes it better to the SM58 how exactly, In Your Opinion?
Shure offer you the choice already.

TonyP.

Arny Krueger

"ScotFraser" wrote in message

Howevcer, it's not a very good vocal mic.

With the foam windscreen a 57 can be a perfectly decent vocal mic.

Been there done that, so I'm intimately familiar with the slings and arrows
of doing that.

I would say that most if not merely many people consider being held in the
hand as a common mode of operation for hand held microphones.

The SM57 has no internal shock mounting.

Arny Krueger

"TonyP" wrote in message
"ScotFraser" wrote in message
Please advise. How does the foam help an SM57 be decent ?

Cuts the pops. It sounds like a better 58.

I'm sure it
stops the obvious P's etc.. but that applies to any mic.

Lots of mics specifically intended for vocals have a built in pop
filter. The 57 doesn't, which is why I recommend adding one.

And that makes it better to the SM58 how exactly, In Your Opinion?
Shure offer you the choice already.

Good point given that the SM58 has internal shock mounting.

Mmm_moo_cows

Hi everybody

Thanks for all your help. I think I have been sold on the Sennheiser
becuase just because I know they make some of the top headphones,
mic's and aviation headset units. Also they are german and they look a
little more professional (suppose thats not really so important tho!).
Thanks.

One idea I have been toying with after reading this, is if I bought a
digtal studio like the roland vs1824. You know, track mixer recording
box that lets you burn it to a CD (and I could transfer it to my pc
via the spdif or something on my audiophile so that wouldnt be a waste
either)

If I bought something along the lines of the roland vs1824 would I
need a mic preamp? or would the mic go straight into it and it does
the required wizardry? I would imagine I'd get better results this
way then via cakewalk sonar and the audiophile. That way annoys me as
it is and half that time I just give up, I dont have a balzing pc
(128mb ram says it all) so I struggle to get good quality and good
latency without pop's, snick's and dropouts.

I suppose you heard this 1000's times before, good quality cheap
price. I think I'm wise enought to realise that doesnt exist, but
there surely must be good quality stuff at moderate prices. Would
something like the vs1824 provide that? Any other makes or models
anyone could reccomend? this has only just hit me when starting this
post, and I instantly thought of roland, so i'm gonna look into this
more. Suppose boss would be a good one - just checked, the boss
br1600cd. Looks alright but I am always worried about things that
comes with effects etc, its like money must of gone towards that and I
just want a recorder type thoughts. (I dont like the boss digital
pedals (analog ones take it for me) - also i like watching roland rat
when I was a kid so I suppose I'm just sub-consciously drawn to roland
also, their midi systems are top notch as well. i think i'm rambling
so i'll shut up)

I am certainly serious about the guitar and recording, so I dont see
the point investing 300 pound now and in a few years biting the bullet
and investing in some more serious equipment.

Thanks for any advice, its hard when you are talking about commiting
1000 odd pound (or all my money!, student) when you know absolutely
nothing about the area, especially when going to shop assistants - I
always try to pretty much find out what I can first so I can challenge
them, and hopefully get a deal. So thanks again for the help recieved
and any more help.

Thanks, Jon

Mmm_moo_cows

So really, this will only be used for guitar, recording a mix of
styles (heavy metal, blues, laid back clean, jazz etc) being placed
infront of a standard tuba amp.

Haha, doh!

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Please advise. How does the foam help an SM57 be decent ?

And that makes it better to the SM58 how exactly, In Your Opinion?
Shure offer you the choice already.

A foam windscreen doesn't always eliminate pops (in fact it usually
doesn't, unless they're very slight) but it does change the high
frequency response a bit, and in the case of the SM57, smooths it out
a bit. In any case, it's a different sound than an SM58.

So with an SM57 and foam windscreen (and maybe even a real pop filter)
you have a mic that's easy to change to a different sound. About the
only thing you can do with an SM58 to change it is to remove the
"ball" which significantly changes what the designers were working
with. You might like what it sounds like, but you might find that an
SM57 sounds like that but better.

The fact that an SM58 is better for hand-held use due to its balance
and internal shock isolation is a distinct advantage for stage use where
hand-holding a vocal mic is more common than in the studio. However,
if the vocalist feels more comfortable in the studio when hand-holding
his mic, an SM58 there may be a better choice.

Or not. In the end, it all depends on the voice you're recording and
what you consider a good sound for that voice in that song.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Ted Lachance

For an inexpensive preamp, try the Presonus TubePre or the Studio Projects
VTB1.

Since you are all over the map as far as musical styles below, you may
consider different amplifiers, or a least a good EQ.

[...]

ScotFraser

I would say that most if not merely many people consider being held in the
hand as a common mode of operation for hand held microphones. The SM57 has no
internal shock mounting.

If one has mic handling noise in ones recordings, I'd call that improper
operation of the equipment.

Scott Fraser