vmartell

Default Headphone recommendation - Choice between 3

My options a

1) Sennheiser HD 580
2) Grado SR225
3) Beyer Dynamic DT 990

All at similar price points. I do intend to use a headphone amplifier
with them. My listening choice is Classical Music all the way.
Symphonic and Choral/Symphonic and Operas mainly, with onyl a
smattering of chamber music (mostly string quartets) and piano/voice
(mostly lieder).

Thnx in advance for the advice.

vmartell wrote:
My options a

1) Sennheiser HD 580
2) Grado SR225
3) Beyer Dynamic DT 990

All at similar price points. I do intend to use a headphone amplifier
with them. My listening choice is Classical Music all the way.
Symphonic and Choral/Symphonic and Operas mainly, with onyl a
smattering of chamber music (mostly string quartets) and piano/voice
(mostly lieder).

Thnx in advance for the advice.

Of the brands you list, I only have experience with Grados. I own the
SR80, SR125 and RS1's and the Grado Headphone amp.

If you listen to classical music, or any music for that matter, I would
recommend that you spend all your money on the RS1's. Save for a while
if you have to. To illustrate, the Grado RS1 driven directly from a
portable CD player is profoundly superior to listening to the SR125's
with the headphone amp (The SR225 may be in the same driver family as
the SR125). The sense of connection to and presence with the musicians
you experience is absolutely priceless with the RS1's.

As far as the other brands are concerned, I have no long term
experience, but I would still recommend moving your budget for a
headphone amp over to the better headphones of the other brands.

Good luck.

P. Medeco