micky

Default LP12 Motor clicking

I have had a nagging feeling about my vertical tracking angle, it was
only slightly out, But I had to adjust it, the allen key holding the
arm was so tight that when it did loosen it the whole sub chassis of
the turntable clunked with I suspect the underside of the deck. After
adjusting the height of which I am now very pleased, I noticed that the
motor makes a clicking noise, if I remove the belt it still makes the
clicking noise, if I push down a few times on the spring loaded pulley
at the top of the motor then turn it on again the clicking sometimes
goes away, but it always comes back when the drive belt is attached.

Any ideas please?
Peabody

Sounds like you have "chipped" the pulley. Pretty difficult thing to
do. Can you see any damage? Turning the spindle by hand does what?
Joakim Wendel

"micky" wrote:

I have had a nagging feeling about my vertical tracking angle, it was
only slightly out, But I had to adjust it, the allen key holding the
arm was so tight that when it did loosen it the whole sub chassis of
the turntable clunked with I suspect the underside of the deck. After
adjusting the height of which I am now very pleased, I noticed that the
motor makes a clicking noise, if I remove the belt it still makes the
clicking noise, if I push down a few times on the spring loaded pulley
at the top of the motor then turn it on again the clicking sometimes
goes away, but it always comes back when the drive belt is attached.

Any ideas please?

The clicking noise is a classic, (my motor has it too) i asked the man
fixing LP12's here in Stockholm, a guy who has my 100% trust, (i'd feel
safe if he was a surgeon) about the clicking and he said that MANY
motors suffer from that noise but there is no sign of a bad effect on
the music you hear. (nor can you hear it from listening position?)
The solution, he said, was to exchange the motor...
--
Joakim Wendel
Remove obvious mail JUNK block for mail reply.

My homepage : http://violinist.nu
micky

Thank you both for your replies
I eventually managed to sort it, I vaguely remember an article that I
read about this and had to investigate further, I cannot find the
article.
But I took the bottom off to gain access to the bottom of the motor, on
the bottom of the motor is a plastic cap and inside is a spring, a ball
bearing and a bush. What had happened was that the bush had been
knocked off center, I was a little nervous while investigating and so
surprised at how easy (though I was warned in the article) the plastic
housing came away. I simply refitted the parts again with the bush
centralized and hay presto a silent LP12 again.

Indecently I asked my mate who had the same problem a while back what
he had done.
Shock horror .... he said that he hit his motor and that sorted his
Ooooerrr