Dan Yack

Default Seeking EQ recommendation

I am seeking an EQ recommendation. I want:

easy to completely kill frequencies below like 60 Hz - floor noise,
lightbulb hum, etc.
inexpensive, eBayable
parametric
rackmountable
little or no phase shift effect

This is for a home studio with average mics doing acoustic guitars, female
vocals, an alto sax, and standard rock stuff. I record to a Fostex VF 16 ,
which is a hard disk recorder that is 16 bit digital, with very limited and
sucky EQ built in that I won;t use.

I run mics through a variety of mixers, preamps and compressors. I am
seeking a utility EQ more than a sweet-sounding EQ, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for any recommendations you may have....

Scott Dorsey

Dan Yack wrote:
I am seeking an EQ recommendation. I want:

easy to completely kill frequencies below like 60 Hz - floor noise,
lightbulb hum, etc.
inexpensive, eBayable
parametric
rackmountable
little or no phase shift effect

These don't correspond. In the real, minimum phase world, you get more
phase shift the narrower your filters are. This is a good thing, and not
a disadvantage in most cases.

This is for a home studio with average mics doing acoustic guitars, female
vocals, an alto sax, and standard rock stuff. I record to a Fostex VF 16 ,
which is a hard disk recorder that is 16 bit digital, with very limited and
sucky EQ built in that I won;t use.

I'd look at some of the used Orban units like the 622. Also Ashly made
some decent parametrics that turn up cheaply at very low prices because
people don't know what they are.

Speck makes an excellent unit, although the Q won't go as high as the
Orbans. It may be beyond your price range, though.

I run mics through a variety of mixers, preamps and compressors. I am
seeking a utility EQ more than a sweet-sounding EQ, if that makes any sense.

If most of your time is going to be spent doing tight notching with a lot
of filters, the 622 or the 672 might be your first pick. The 672 has a lot
of filters with overlap in the vocal region, but it also has an adjustable
shelf filter pair (originally so it could be used as a PA crossover as well,
but the shelving turns out to be very handy for things like chopping all
the low end off).