Default Synth direct-in versus recording speakers

Is there general wisdom regarding when to record synths direct out
versus recording their speakers?

Scott Dorsey

In article .com,
wrote:
Is there general wisdom regarding when to record synths direct out
versus recording their speakers?

Listen to them. A direct synth will sound very different than a synth
through an amp. That will sound very different than a synth through a
distant amp in a big room. If you want a close and sharp and sometimes
wide sound, the direct might be the way to go. If you want to smooth
out some of the edges, an amp might be the solution. If you aren't
sure and you have plenty of tracks, print both to tape and worry about
it later.
RD Jones

I tend to view a synth track differently than other
electric keyboards that require a speaker to sound correct, like
electric piano or organ.
I like synth stuff in stereo with outboard effects but an amp/speaker
can be an effect.
One notable technique: Oberheim through a Marshall for the VanHalen
'Brown Sound'

rd

ot7doc

Oh, I meant renning thru an amp and speaker. Thing is, I don't have
one. My brother does, and it is a hassle to borrow, so I don't
typically have the luxury of trying it both ways. And in case I ever
get a chance to borrow his amp again, I wanted to have some advice to
know what to listen for... what kind of differences to expect.
Thanks, everyone. Your comments help.