Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Edmund Edmund is offline

Default Soundcard measurements experience anyone?

Hi experts,

I have a brand new computer with .... Windows special to be able
to run windows software for measurements with a sound card.
Mine ( realtek HD ) card should be able to use 192kHz sample rates
but so far I haven't found a program which actually work in that mode.

In the mixer application under Vista the line-in seems limited to
96kHz!? while the output can be set to 192kHz.

What I need is :
a player that can play a 192kHz sampled file
And if possible an example of such file that can be played because
there seems to be a load of different formats and I don't know which
program can play/or not play which format.
( should be nice if it could play a text data file )

A recording/scope program which can record 192kHz sampled (analog)
signals for an "unlimited" amount of time. ( stereo )

BTW I have been told that windows integrated player should play
192kHz files but it needs codec!? Anyone managed to get that working?

Thanks for suggestions

Edmund

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Oct 17, 9:12*am, Edmund wrote:
[...]

You will probably be quite disappointed with measurements from the
Realtek hardware. It is not even close to providing high-end
performance and many low-cost sound cards will measure much better.
This is not to say that it is unusable since it works fine, at least
for casual listening and certainly measures much better than cassette,
consumer reel-to-reel and LP playback systems.

Here is a link to Rightmark software (free!) that works very well for
evaluating sound cards:

http://rightmark.org/

As for 192 kHz. operation, it is probably a complete waste of time and
storage even with premium sound cards. You might want to look up some
of the posts in rec.audio.pro to see what professional sound engineers
think of really high sample rates. Many of the posters there have not
found any advantage with them and still use 44.1 kHz when recording.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Edmund wrote:
Hi experts,

I have a brand new computer with .... Windows special to be able
to run windows software for measurements with a sound card.
Mine ( realtek HD ) card should be able to use 192kHz sample rates
but so far I haven't found a program which actually work in that mode.

In the mixer application under Vista the line-in seems limited to
96kHz!? while the output can be set to 192kHz.

What I need is :
a player that can play a 192kHz sampled file
And if possible an example of such file that can be played because
there seems to be a load of different formats and I don't know which
program can play/or not play which format.
( should be nice if it could play a text data file )

A recording/scope program which can record 192kHz sampled (analog)
signals for an "unlimited" amount of time. ( stereo )

Why do you need to work at 192kHz?

--
-S
A wise man, therefore, proportions his belief to the evidence. -- David Hume, "On Miracles"

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Edmund" wrote in message

I have a brand new computer with .... Windows special to
be able to run windows software for measurements with a sound
card.

Mine ( realtek HD ) card should be able to use 192kHz
sample rates but so far I haven't found a program which
actually work in that mode.

While the Realtek HD *runs* at 192, IME it doesn't record up any input or
produce any output above about 24 KHz, which you can exploit with a 48 KHz
sample rate.

AFAIK, the Realtek drivers just resample from modest hardware reality to
impressive numbers that mean practically nothing.

In the mixer application under Vista the line-in seems
limited to 96kHz!? while the output can be set to 192kHz.

That causes me no heartache, even with cards that actually do process real
world data with 192 KHz sampling.

What I need is : a player that can play a 192kHz sampled file

Why?

A recording/scope program which can record 192kHz
sampled (analog) signals for an "unlimited" amount of
time. ( stereo )

Audition will do that, if you have the hardware environment to match.
However, Vista changes lots of things and I don't know how it works in this
kind of application. The current versions of Audition support ASIO drivers
which bypass a lot of things that Vista might otherwise want to shove down
your throat.

Please note that a lot of people who are serious about audio assiduously
bypass Vista and are quite happy in XP.

If you are serious about 192 KHz, get a more serious audio interface like
the M-Audio AP 24/192 or a corresponding eMu product. On-board audio has
improved a lot over the years, but not enough to form the nucleus of a
serious measurement suite.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Why do you need to work at 192kHz?

The key word seems "Measurements". I think that being to measure up to 100
KHz is a pretty reasonable expectation if you are working with electronics.
50 KHz is plenty enough for acoustical measurements.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Edmund Edmund is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Edmund" wrote in message

I have a brand new computer with .... Windows special to
be able to run windows software for measurements with a sound
card.

Mine ( realtek HD ) card should be able to use 192kHz
sample rates but so far I haven't found a program which
actually work in that mode.

While the Realtek HD *runs* at 192, IME it doesn't record up any input or
produce any output above about 24 KHz, which you can exploit with a 48 KHz
sample rate.

That is not so, I have already made a sine wave of 45 kHz
( with 96 Khz sample rate )and simultaneously recorded that
with a similar realtek card. ( in my laptop )

AFAIK, the Realtek drivers just resample from modest hardware reality to
impressive numbers that mean practically nothing.

In the mixer application under Vista the line-in seems
limited to 96kHz!? while the output can be set to 192kHz.

That causes me no heartache, even with cards that actually do process real
world data with 192 KHz sampling.

What I need is : a player that can play a 192kHz sampled file

Why?

measure the impedance of high end tweeters for example.

A recording/scope program which can record 192kHz
sampled (analog) signals for an "unlimited" amount of
time. ( stereo )

Audition will do that, if you have the hardware environment to match.
However, Vista changes lots of things and I don't know how it works in this
kind of application. The current versions of Audition support ASIO drivers
which bypass a lot of things that Vista might otherwise want to shove down
your throat.

Please note that a lot of people who are serious about audio assiduously
bypass Vista and are quite happy in XP.

I spent almost 3 bloody days finding a usable Raid driver for XP.
Now it finally is installed and Audition cannot work higher then
44.1 kHz rate while it can to 96 kHz for recording and 192 kHz
playback under Vista!?

If you are serious about 192 KHz, get a more serious audio interface like
the M-Audio AP 24/192 or a corresponding eMu product. On-board audio has
improved a lot over the years, but not enough to form the nucleus of a
serious measurement suite.

If necessarily I will buy whatever it takes to make it work.
Should be nice however to get the realtek at least working.

Edmund

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Edmund" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Edmund" wrote in message

I have a brand new computer with .... Windows special to
be able to run windows software for measurements with
a sound card.

Mine ( realtek HD ) card should be able to use 192kHz
sample rates but so far I haven't found a program which
actually work in that mode.

While the Realtek HD *runs* at 192, IME it doesn't
record up any input or produce any output above about 24
KHz, which you can exploit with a 48 KHz sample rate.

That is not so, I have already made a sine wave of 45 kHz
( with 96 Khz sample rate )and simultaneously recorded
that with a similar realtek card. ( in my laptop )

Please contradict the results this test, which was performed by an
independent worker:

http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/khe...20output02.htm

AFAIK, the Realtek drivers just resample from modest
hardware reality to impressive numbers that mean
practically nothing.

What I need is : a player that can play a 192kHz
sampled file

Why?

measure the impedance of high end tweeters for example.

That seems to be quite reasonable.

Here is an example of my efforts along that line:

http://www.pcavtech.com/techtalk/wir...htm#Q15-mag-hi

The audio interface was a Card Deluxe.

I spent almost 3 bloody days finding a usable Raid driver
for XP.

That's odd given that I always find that same software in the same box as
the Raid hardware. Was this some esoteric piece of hardware?

Now it finally is installed and Audition cannot
work higher then 44.1 kHz rate

I've never had any problem getting Audition working at 24/192, and even up
into the megahertz range.

while it can to 96 kHz for recording and
192 kHz playback under Vista!?

I've never had any problem getting quality audio interfaces to work under XP
at up to 24/192.

http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/LynxTWO/index.htm

If you are serious about 192 KHz, get a more serious
audio interface like the M-Audio AP 24/192 or a
corresponding eMu product. On-board audio has improved
a lot over the years, but not enough to form the nucleus
of a serious measurement suite.

If necessarily I will buy whatever it takes to make it
work. Should be nice however to get the realtek at least
working.

I find it odd that you have been able to make 45 KHz sine waves with the
Realtek card. Nobody else seems to be able to do so. Perhaps you made a sine
wave at some frequency below 24 KHz, but haven't checked its frequency.