Posted to rec.audio.high-end
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default so, what about these music players that tie a network to your

@news7.newsguy.com...
On 10/7/08 9:05 PM, in article , "Sonnova"
wrote:

I have used this solution for the last 2 years and have put all my CD's
into
storage:

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_squeezebox.html

It operates flawlessly within a wifi network. It has a fantastic
internet
radio interface with all kinds of search options. The remote is simple
and
easy to use. It imports your iTunes playlist and lets you search through
it
in any number of ways. It has a very decent D/A converter built in, but
it
also has both Toslink and Coaxial digital out if you want to connect to
an
outboard DAC.

They now have a very nifty new system that puts all the data right on
the
remote, again via wifi interface.

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_duet.html

They even have an all-in-one solution you can add in another room:

http://slimdevices.com/

Looks good. But in magazine shoot-outs between the two, for some reason,
the
Apple TV unit always beats it.

The Apple TV looks to be functionally geared primarily towards video, as a
means of transferring downloads from a computer to a tv. The squeezebox is
strictly a standalone music server that can be configured for multi-room
use. Very different devices, and any "shootout" strikes me as apples vs
oranges (no pun intended). I have no use for playing video downloads and
my
main audio system is separate from my TV. So clearly for me the Squeezebox
is the better choice. Performance wise, from the digital output anyway,
it's
hard to see how one would be better than the other.

the squeezebox unit looks interesting - can you turn off the wireless
feature?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Barss[_2_] Andrew Barss[_2_] is offline

William Noble wrote:

: the squeezebox unit looks interesting - can you turn off the wireless
: feature?

Yes, in that there is also an ethernet input. I have one, and love it.

I ripped all my CDs to lossless FLAC files on an external hard drive,
and the squeezebox plays them flawlessly. Nice software and interface
as well.

-- Andy Barss