Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] rhubarbe0@yahoo.com is offline

Default Scratching heard, but not seen! Vinyl record.

Hello,
I'm not sure if I'm on the right group, but didn't find better group
available.

I have just got an extremely rare 7" 45rpm record. It was rated as EX.
I looked at it thouroughly, and it seems perfect. No scratch
whatsoeven, no ding. It doesn't seem to have any dirt or crud visible.
I wipe it carefully with my usual soft cloth to remove dust, and play
it. I notice there are some
ticks close to one another, that repeat at every revolution.

I almost can't believe those ticks, because the record looks perfect
under virtually any angle with naked eye. I got it a clean with
distilled water (no alcohol) just to make sure I would remove as much
dust as possible, although I felt it unnessary because the look was
brand new. It didn't fix.

Then I looked closely under strong magnification, large enough so I
can clearly see the grooves and details in them. I did saw some minor
scratching, but not throughout the whole track (in contradiction with
what I hear). Furthermore, it was so minor, almost invisible from
naked eye.

The only thing is that this record has been in a jukebox. However,
some others I bought in that same jukebox lot have visible scratching,
but play almost perfectly!

Does anyone know what could cause this noise at each revolution, and
what I might do physically to eliminate them, or at least diminish
them. Because other than that, the
playback is fantastic, and due to the rarity of this record, time may
pass before I find another copy.

Thanks for any tips.
You can also share similar stories and what you did...
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Oct 31, 6:51*pm, wrote:
Hello,
I'm not sure if I'm on the right group, but didn't find better group
available.

I have just got an extremely rare 7" 45rpm record. It was rated as EX.
I looked at it thouroughly, and it seems perfect. No scratch
whatsoeven, no ding. It doesn't seem to have any dirt or crud visible.
I wipe it carefully with my usual soft cloth to remove dust, and play
it. I notice there are some
ticks close to one another, that repeat at every revolution.

I almost can't believe those ticks, because the record looks *perfect
under virtually any angle with naked eye. I got it a clean with
distilled water (no alcohol) just to make sure I would remove as much
dust as possible, although I felt it unnessary because the look was
brand new. It didn't fix.

If you are not overly concerned about digital reproduction, you might
record the disc on your computer and run a click removal algorithm on
it. Usually, the results are quite good with little apparent loss of
fidelity near the click. Many people find that the results are a
considerable improvement over the corrupted record. You can also
reduce surface noise with a noise removal algorithm if there are quiet
passages or listening with headphones. Again, if this is done gently,
the results can be satisfying. Crackling sounds, however are more of a
challenge to reduce. In your case, simple declicking may make you much
happier with your purchase.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Richard Tollerton Richard Tollerton is offline

It could be a defect in the manufacturing process, which would be a
problem with the physical groove instead of the vinyl surface, and
therefore much harder to see. There isn't much you can do about that
besides using cleaning software to remove it digitally.