Default Solid state AMP

Looking for a solid state AMP that's a tube-alike sound..
I want something versitle that can sound vintage and Hi-gain
I choosing between Peavy xxl combo or Tech 21 trademark60
any suggestions? thanks..

Ka-el

hefalump

Uzytkownik napisal w wiadomosci
oups.com...
Looking for a solid state AMP that's a tube-alike sound..
I want something versitle that can sound vintage and Hi-gain
I choosing between Peavy xxl combo or Tech 21 trademark60
any suggestions? thanks..

* You want it for live playing or you want to play inna house/record with it
?
You want a tube amp sound live - you get tube amp. Thats one thing im sure

kisses.

Arny Krueger

From: "Arny Krueger"
Subject: Solid state AMP
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 5:19 PM

wrote in message
oups.com
Looking for a solid state AMP that's a tube-alike sound..
I want something versitle that can sound vintage and Hi-gain
I choosing between Peavy xxl combo or Tech 21 trademark60
any suggestions? thanks..

Take a good SS amp, and ruin its low output impedance with a series power
resistor whose resistance is in the 0.33 to 4 ohm range. That will give you
a fair approximation of tube amp sound.

Scott Dorsey

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
Looking for a solid state AMP that's a tube-alike sound..
I want something versitle that can sound vintage and Hi-gain
I choosing between Peavy xxl combo or Tech 21 trademark60
any suggestions? thanks..

Take a good SS amp, and ruin its low output impedance with a series power
resistor whose resistance is in the 0.33 to 4 ohm range. That will give you
a fair approximation of tube amp sound.

No.

This will approximate the load the speaker sees.

But with a guitar amp, you are normally running the amp well into the
nonlinear region. That's the whole point of the thing. And the nonlinear
region is totally different between a typical tube and solid state gain
stage, plus the tube amp has an output transformer (which is usually
undersized so it can be overloaded).

I have seen some FET-based guitar amps which use output transformers,
in order to get similar effects to the output clipping and transformer
overdriving of a standard tube guitar amp. I didn't think they sounded
all that great, though.

Arny Krueger

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
Looking for a solid state AMP that's a tube-alike sound..
I want something versitle that can sound vintage and Hi-gain
I choosing between Peavy xxl combo or Tech 21 trademark60
any suggestions? thanks..

Take a good SS amp, and ruin its low output impedance with a series
power resistor whose resistance is in the 0.33 to 4 ohm range. That
will give you a fair approximation of tube amp sound.

No.

This will approximate the load the speaker sees.

I don't I'm reading this quite discern what you want to to say Scott, as the
speaker being passive sees no load.

But with a guitar amp, you are normally running the amp well into the
nonlinear region. That's the whole point of the thing. And the
nonlinear region is totally different between a typical tube and
solid state gain stage, plus the tube amp has an output transformer
(which is usually undersized so it can be overloaded).

Agreed that tubed amps that are designed to be EFX devices can be effective
as EFX devices.

I have seen some FET-based guitar amps which use output transformers,
in order to get similar effects to the output clipping and transformer
overdriving of a standard tube guitar amp. I didn't think they
sounded all that great, though.

I suspect that the way to most closely approach the sound of a tubed amp
that is designed to provide EFX would be to use an accurate SS amp combined
with a complex (perhaps digital, even computerized) line-level EFX
generator.

Paul Stamler

[...]

Been done. Doesn't really work very well. The nonlinearities in a severely
overloaded guitar amp-speaker system turn out to be quite hard to model.
They include not only active device overload (preamp and power stage) but
passive device overload (transformer) and back EMF from the speaker making
its way back into the amplifier. A highly complex dynamic system, one which
we really don't have a handle on, at least not well enough to model it.

Peace,
Paul

jtougas

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:07:11 GMT, LJM wrote:

wrote:

Looking for a solid state AMP that's a tube-alike sound..
I want something versitle that can sound vintage and Hi-gain
I choosing between Peavy xxl combo or Tech 21 trademark60
any suggestions? thanks..

Ka-el

I just got rid of my Tech 21 because I bought a Vox AD30VT. It also
comes in an AD50VT which is comparable to the Tech TM60. Here's a link.
Good luck. http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/va...15vtad30vt.htm

I have a Tech 21 Trademark 10 I've been continuously happy with.

If you go with a Vox AD50VT (or one of it's smaller brethren) make
sure you play it first. The one I played through had a lot of noise
in the preamp, no matter which 'voice' was selected. Keep an ear out
for it.

jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings

Arny Krueger

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message

[...]

On a bad day you have this big multidimensional lookup table.

Collecting the data may be a lot of work, but it can be done.

Les Cargill

Arny Krueger wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

No, put half a 12AX7 (or two halves as a "Darlington pair")
as the last gain stage after the preamp. Works great.

--
Les Cargill
Arny Krueger

Arny Krueger wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

I agree with the Paul Stamler story about output transformers and the rest.
Something about time spent developing and testing tube amps in the day of.