John Fox

Default SACD 5.1 playback issues

Wondering if I could get some advice here.

I just recently bought a Sony DVP-NS775V DVD player. It has SACD
playback capability. My problem is that I can't seem to get it to
play SACD back in multi channel (5.1) format.

I have it connected to a Yamaha RX-V800 receiver. Sterio SACD
playback is fine. I went out and got some run-of-the-mill RCA cables
(el cheapos from Best Buy) and ran them from the 5.1ch Out on the
player to the 6ch In on the receiver (the receiver doesn't have a 5.1
Analog In - just a 6ch). I set the player to "multi channel". But on
playback, it seems that I'm still only getting sound out of the two
main speakers. The discs I am trying to play are advertised as multi
channel, 5.1 SACDs.

So, I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can troubleshoot
this?
Harry Lavo

"John Fox" wrote in message
Wondering if I could get some advice here.

I just recently bought a Sony DVP-NS775V DVD player. It has SACD
playback capability. My problem is that I can't seem to get it to
play SACD back in multi channel (5.1) format.

I have it connected to a Yamaha RX-V800 receiver. Sterio SACD
playback is fine. I went out and got some run-of-the-mill RCA cables
(el cheapos from Best Buy) and ran them from the 5.1ch Out on the
player to the 6ch In on the receiver (the receiver doesn't have a 5.1
Analog In - just a 6ch). I set the player to "multi channel". But on
playback, it seems that I'm still only getting sound out of the two
main speakers. The discs I am trying to play are advertised as multi
channel, 5.1 SACDs.

So, I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can troubleshoot
this?

You say you set the receiver to "multichannel". It is unclear to me whether
by this you mean the default output setting, or the speaker settings. Both
have to be set to multichannel; output to default to multichannel; speakers
to be set to whatever combination of large, small, center, sub or not sub.
If they are all the same and reasonably full range, you can use multichannel
direct. I suspect that your problem lies here.

However, it is possible that your DVD-A/SACD player is also set to default
to two channel output. Again here you generally have to select multichannel
speaker setup, as well as default multichannel output.

Check out both settings on both pieces of gear and I suspect you will find
the answer.
Jim Cate

John Fox wrote:
Wondering if I could get some advice here.

I just recently bought a Sony DVP-NS775V DVD player. It has SACD
playback capability. My problem is that I can't seem to get it to
play SACD back in multi channel (5.1) format.

I have it connected to a Yamaha RX-V800 receiver. Sterio SACD
playback is fine. I went out and got some run-of-the-mill RCA cables
(el cheapos from Best Buy) and ran them from the 5.1ch Out on the
player to the 6ch In on the receiver (the receiver doesn't have a 5.1
Analog In - just a 6ch). I set the player to "multi channel". But on
playback, it seems that I'm still only getting sound out of the two
main speakers. The discs I am trying to play are advertised as multi
channel, 5.1 SACDs.

So, I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can troubleshoot
this?

For starters, review the operating manuals for your DVD player and
receiver. There may be a switch or control on one or both of the units
that you haven't set properly. Assuming the Sony player has
multi-channel SACD capability, it will so state in the manual, and it
will have at least five outputs. - When playing the SACD disc, does your
DVD player indicate that it is outputting SACD? I think most of them
will display the fact that they are playing an SACD disc, and when they
are outputting multi-channel SACD.

Jim
John Fox

(Farrell22) wrote in message ...
From:
(John Fox)

Wondering if I could get some advice here.

I just recently bought a Sony DVP-NS775V DVD player. It has SACD
playback capability. My problem is that I can't seem to get it to
play SACD back in multi channel (5.1) format.

I have it connected to a Yamaha RX-V800 receiver. Sterio SACD
playback is fine. I went out and got some run-of-the-mill RCA cables
(el cheapos from Best Buy) and ran them from the 5.1ch Out on the
player to the 6ch In on the receiver (the receiver doesn't have a 5.1
Analog In - just a 6ch). I set the player to "multi channel". But on
playback, it seems that I'm still only getting sound out of the two
main speakers. The discs I am trying to play are advertised as multi
channel, 5.1 SACDs.

So, I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can troubleshoot
this?

I had to change the default setting on my Sony CE-595 SACD player so it played
stereo instead of multichannel every time I put in a disc. Maybe yours is doing
the reverse, and you have to actually go in and somehow specify MC playback?

I specified mutilchannel playback. There's actually a button on the
remote for this player to toggle between 2ch stereo and multi channel
playback for SACDs, in lieu of having to go into the on screen menu
and change settings. There's also a "mutli channel" indicator light
on the front of the player, to let you know that the player is sending
a 5.1 signal when it's lit (which it is, unless I toggle it off to 2ch
stereo). So, it seems like I have all of my settings right, as I've
gone over them a few times trying to figure out what's wrong.
John Fox

[...]

You mean the *player*, not the receiver, right?

It is unclear to me whether
by this you mean the default output setting

That's what I mean.

or the speaker settings. Both
have to be set to multichannel; output to default to multichannel; speakers
to be set to whatever combination of large, small, center, sub or not sub.
If they are all the same and reasonably full range, you can use multichannel
direct. I suspect that your problem lies here.

Hmmm...haven't messed with the speaker settings on the player yet.
But, when I play DVDs, I get 5.1 (or 6.1) with no problem, without
having even touched the speaker settings right out of the box. Of
course, this signal is being sent to my receiver via optical cable,
not the analog outputs. But still: If the speaker settings as they
are seem to be fine in getting 5.1 digital output, shouldn't it also
hold true for SACD multi channel, even though it's a different output?
Regardless, I will take a look at the speaker settings when I get
home from work tonight.

However, it is possible that your DVD-A/SACD player is also set to default
to two channel output. Again here you generally have to select multichannel
speaker setup, as well as default multichannel output.

Check out both settings on both pieces of gear and I suspect you will find
the answer.

I'm sure that I have the player's output setting set correctly
(there's an indicator light on the player's display that says "multi
channel" when you set it that way, and the light goes off when you set
it to 2ch stereo. I've toggled that light plenty), but I'm going to
look at the speaker settings. Thanks for the advice.
John Fox

Jim Cate wrote in message ...
John Fox wrote:
[...]

Heh - I think I have them memorized by now, I've been reading them so
much trying to figure this thing out.

There may be a switch or control on one or both of the units
that you haven't set properly. Assuming the Sony player has
multi-channel SACD capability, it will so state in the manual, and it
will have at least five outputs.

It does - I ran the cables from them.

When playing the SACD disc, does your
DVD player indicate that it is outputting SACD?

Yup.

I think most of them
will display the fact that they are playing an SACD disc, and when they
are outputting multi-channel SACD.

That too. There's a button on the DVD player's remote that toggles
between 2ch SACD and multi channel SACD. When you toggle it to multi
channel, a "Multi Channel SACD" indicator light on the front of the
player tells you so. So, I've got that covered (I think).
Harry Lavo

"John Fox" wrote in message
[...]

If your player is indicating 5.1 channel output and SACD, and your receiver
can pass an analog input, then something is wrong. But those are big
"IF's". At this point I'd find a simple amplifying/speaker device (simple
stereo, boombox with aux inputs, etc.) and test the output of the player
when playing SACD multichannel. To make sure you are getting output on all
five channels. Then I would use a simple input (old fm tuner, perhaps) and
wire it into each of the six analog inputs and test throughput when the six
channel button is pushed on the receiver.

If you equipment passes both tests, then you have a settings problem pure
and simple, somewhere in the receiver. If on the other hand you are not
getting output from the player, you have a settings problem in the player
(or a hardware failure in the player).

Jeremy Gillow

John Fox,

Don't know if you saw my reply in alt.home-theater, but I just thought of
another thing you could try. The Sony unit has a built-in test tone
generator in the setup menu. When you run the tone, do all 5 speakers & the
subwoofer give sound? This will check the 6 channel analog connection on
your receiver, to make sure each input is actually being delivered to the
speakers.

Jeremy Gillow

"John Fox" wrote in message
Wondering if I could get some advice here.

I just recently bought a Sony DVP-NS775V DVD player. It has SACD
playback capability. My problem is that I can't seem to get it to
play SACD back in multi channel (5.1) format.

I have it connected to a Yamaha RX-V800 receiver. Sterio SACD
playback is fine. I went out and got some run-of-the-mill RCA cables
(el cheapos from Best Buy) and ran them from the 5.1ch Out on the
player to the 6ch In on the receiver (the receiver doesn't have a 5.1
Analog In - just a 6ch). I set the player to "multi channel". But on
playback, it seems that I'm still only getting sound out of the two
main speakers. The discs I am trying to play are advertised as multi
channel, 5.1 SACDs.

So, I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can troubleshoot
this?

John Fox

If your player is indicating 5.1 channel output and SACD, and your receiver
can pass an analog input, then something is wrong. But those are big
"IF's". At this point I'd find a simple amplifying/speaker device (simple
stereo, boombox with aux inputs, etc.) and test the output of the player
when playing SACD multichannel. To make sure you are getting output on all
five channels. Then I would use a simple input (old fm tuner, perhaps) and
wire it into each of the six analog inputs and test throughput when the six
channel button is pushed on the receiver.

If you equipment passes both tests, then you have a settings problem pure
and simple, somewhere in the receiver. If on the other hand you are not
getting output from the player, you have a settings problem in the player
(or a hardware failure in the player).

You were right - it was the speaker settings on the player. The
center and rear channels were set to "None" in the menu. Obviously,
that didn't matter for movies because the receiver was doing the
decoding for those, whereas the player must decode for SACD surround.

Thanks for your help!
normanstrong

"John Fox" wrote in message
(Farrell22) wrote in message

From:
(John Fox)

[...]

The light that says MC just means that the player is configured for
multi-channel playback. It doesn't mean that signals must come out of
the surround channels. That's up to the SACD, which may have only 2
active channels, regardless. Before you get excited, try the disc out
on someone else's surround player.

Norm Strong