Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lance Hoffmeyer[_2_] Lance Hoffmeyer[_2_] is offline

Default Alamo Caprice Guitar Amplifier ?

Hey all,

I friend of mine inherited an old Alamo guitar amp.
He thinks it is a caprice model but is not sure.

3 tubes 35z5, 50l6, 12au7.

Is there a simple way for him to determine whether the
amp is 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

He put an 0hm speaker in it. What potential bad things
would happen if the amp is designed for 4 ohm speaker and
he is using an 8 ohm speaker?

Finally, anyone know where one might obtain schematics for
this amp?

TIA,

Lance
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bret L Bret L is offline

On Oct 23, 4:05*pm, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
Hey all,

I friend of mine inherited an old Alamo guitar amp.
He thinks it is a caprice model but is not sure.

3 tubes 35z5, 50l6, 12au7.

Is there a simple way for him to determine whether the
amp is 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

He put an 0hm speaker in it. *What potential bad things
would happen if the amp is designed for 4 ohm speaker and
he is using an 8 ohm speaker?

Finally, anyone know where one might obtain schematics for
this amp?

TIA,

Lance

It probably makes little difference in this circuit BUT you can
determine the turns ratio by back exciting it easily enough. Then
figure whether that impedance makes more sense with a 4 or 8 ohm
secondary load.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

"Lance Hoffmeyer" wrote:

I friend of mine inherited an old Alamo guitar amp.
He thinks it is a caprice model but is not sure.

3 tubes 35z5, 50l6, 12au7.

Is there a simple way for him to determine whether the
amp is 4 ohm or 8 ohm?

He put an 0hm speaker in it. What potential bad things
would happen if the amp is designed for 4 ohm speaker and
he is using an 8 ohm speaker?

Finally, anyone know where one might obtain schematics for
this amp?

Why do grubby charlatans so often use the same story about
"a friend of mine" who's "inherited"? I suppose if you're in
the business of fleecing fools, you need a pitch that
appeals to them.

It took me about 2 minutes to find the schematic and the
correct name. Now you try.

Ian

'95 Caprice Classic ejects cassette adapter markgriffioen General 3 May 19th 07 12:50 AM
'95 Caprice Classic ejects cassette adapter markgriffioen Tech 1 May 15th 07 09:59 AM
'95 Caprice Classic ejects cassette adapter markgriffioen Car Audio 3 May 14th 07 02:16 AM
Alamo Michael McKelvy Audio Opinions 4 November 10th 04 09:09 AM
Does a '96 Caprice CD player fits in a '91 Caprice? zorrodeporro Car Audio 1 May 15th 04 10:38 PM