MiNE 109

Default CD prices coming down?

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...music_nm/media
_universalmusic_dc_4&printer=1

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Universal Music Group, the world's largest record
company, on Wednesday said it will cut list prices on compact discs by as
much as 30 percent in an effort to boost sales that have been stymied by
free online music-sharing services such as Kazaa.

Starting in October, Universal, the home to such artists as Mary J. Blige
(news), U2 and Elton John (news), will trim its prices on most of its CDs to
$12.98 from its current $16.98-$18.98 range of prices.

"Our research shows that the sweet spot is to sell our records below
$12.98,' said Universal Music president Zach Horowitz. "We're confident that
when we implement this we will get a dramatic and sustained increase."

This is the first time list price for full-price cds has actually come
down, according to the NY Times.

Too bad it's coupled with measures unfriendly to retail stores, such as
charging fees for returns, ending advertising support, and enacting
floor space requirements.

And no price cut for classical.

Stephen
Lionel Chapuis

MiNE 109 a écrit :
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

[...]

What is VAT ratio on CD in US ? in UK ?
Thanks

dave weil

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 17:54:13 +0200, Lionel Chapuis
lionel{dot}chapuis{at}free{dot}fr wrote:

MiNE 109 a écrit :
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

[...]

We don't have a value added tax.

Each community has its own "sales tax" (I think that two states have
*no* sales tax at all).

Oily Tartlet

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 17:54:13 +0200, Lionel Chapuis
lionel{dot}chapuis{at}free{dot}fr wrote:

What is VAT ratio on CD in US ? in UK ?

17.5 per cent. Gotta pay for all those commie social programs. :-)

I'd like to see VAT increased--with the same exclusions on books,
food, and children's clothing etc.--and income tax abolished.

--
Oily Tartlet
Lionel Chapuis

Arny Krueger a écrit :
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...music_nm/media
_universalmusic_dc_4&printer=1

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Universal Music Group, the world's largest record
company, on Wednesday said it will cut list prices on compact discs by as
much as 30 percent in an effort to boost sales that have been stymied by
free online music-sharing services such as Kazaa.

Starting in October, Universal, the home to such artists as Mary J. Blige
(news), U2 and Elton John (news), will trim its prices on most of its CDs to
$12.98 from its current $16.98-$18.98 range of prices.

"Our research shows that the sweet spot is to sell our records below
$12.98,' said Universal Music president Zach Horowitz. "We're confident that
when we implement this we will get a dramatic and sustained increase."

I've already followed the difficult discussion concerning Trotsky's
loudspeakers cost analyze so...
.... with a hatchet how do you split costs of a modern CD ?

Lionel

Oily Tartlet

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 19:27:44 +0200, Lionel Chapuis
wrote:

By this way the poorest part of your population will be highly taxed on
nearly 100% of her income. What about a tax on salt use ?
It's better we focus on music.

You're already taxed on 100 per cent of your income (well, nearly; I
think you get a few grand tax relief).

I think taxing on consumption is a fairer way of doing things. Tax
people who can afford it. I think highish taxes are a fair price to
pay for living in a country that provides you with the opportunities
to be successful. A totally consumption-based system of taxation would
mean people who are on low incomes wouldn't pay much at all. In fact,
they should pay nothing whatsoever for the essentials of living. (I
think taxes on utilities are despicable, BTW, and should be abolished
immediately).

--
Oily Tartlet
Lionel Chapuis

wrote:

By this way the poorest part of your population will be highly taxed on
nearly 100% of her income. What about a tax on salt use ?
It's better we focus on music.

You're already taxed on 100 per cent of your income (well, nearly; I
think you get a few grand tax relief).

I think taxing on consumption is a fairer way of doing things. Tax
people who can afford it. I think highish taxes are a fair price to
pay for living in a country that provides you with the opportunities
to be successful. A totally consumption-based system of taxation would
mean people who are on low incomes wouldn't pay much at all. In fact,
they should pay nothing whatsoever for the essentials of living. (I
think taxes on utilities are despicable, BTW, and should be abolished
immediately).

--
Oily Tartlet

People who have low incomes use to consume nearly 100% of their incomes,
they nearly don't have any saving.
At the opposite people with high incomes use to save in bank between 10
to 70% of their incomes.
I'm not a fanatic communist but it seems me that the model I expose you
is a little bit more "fair" for the poorest part of the population.

Lionel

Arny Krueger

"MiNE 109" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...music_nm/media
_universalmusic_dc_4&printer=1

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Universal Music Group, the world's largest record
company, on Wednesday said it will cut list prices on compact discs by

as
much as 30 percent in an effort to boost sales that have been stymied by
free online music-sharing services such as Kazaa.

And no price cut for classical.

Isn't this label part of Universal Music?

http://www.iclassics.com/iclassics/homepage.jsp

MiNE 109

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MiNE 109" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...music_nm/media
_universalmusic_dc_4&printer=1

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Universal Music Group, the world's largest record
company, on Wednesday said it will cut list prices on compact discs by

as
much as 30 percent in an effort to boost sales that have been stymied by
free online music-sharing services such as Kazaa.

[...] And no price cut for classical.

Isn't this label part of Universal Music?

http://www.iclassics.com/iclassics/homepage.jsp

That's not a label; that's a sales site.

Universal does own the former Polygram labels: Decca, Philips, Deutsche
Grammophon, etc. However, these lines aren't included in the price drop.

Stephen
Arny Krueger

"Mine 109" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MiNE 109" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...music_nm/media
_universalmusic_dc_4&printer=1

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Universal Music Group, the world's largest

record
company, on Wednesday said it will cut list prices on compact discs

by
as
much as 30 percent in an effort to boost sales that have been

stymied by
free online music-sharing services such as Kazaa.

[...] And no price cut for classical.

Isn't this label part of Universal Music?

http://www.iclassics.com/iclassics/homepage.jsp

That's not a label; that's a sales site.

But it carries a number of Universal classical labels. What about them?

MiNE 109

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Mine 109" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"MiNE 109" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...music_nm/media
_universalmusic_dc_4&printer=1

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Universal Music Group, the world's largest

record
company, on Wednesday said it will cut list prices on compact discs

by
as
much as 30 percent in an effort to boost sales that have been

stymied by
free online music-sharing services such as Kazaa.

[...] And no price cut for classical.

Isn't this label part of Universal Music?

http://www.iclassics.com/iclassics/homepage.jsp

That's not a label; that's a sales site.

But it carries a number of Universal classical labels. What about them?

You snipped the answer. Universal's classical labels are not included,
according to this:

http://tinyurl.com/mkn7

Someone posted some hearsay on rmcr that Tower Records will get a cut on
classical, but I haven't seen it confirmed in any way.

Stephen
Lionel Chapuis

Lionel Chapuis a écrit :
Girth a écrit :

Oily Tartlet wrote:

I'd like to see VAT increased--with the same exclusions on books,
food, and children's clothing etc.--and income tax abolished.

I agree to an extent, but as somebody else suggested "fat cats" will
just bank it or find another way of evading value added tax.

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Somebody else didn't suggest the things you wrote hereabove. In other
words if you want to correctly comment some social aspects of state
fiscality I suggest you to ask to somebody else...

Lionel

PS : somebody else has already sincerely apologies, but if it's not
enough for you, somebody else **** you !

Sorry for that but don't be so "disdainful".

Lionel

Lionel Chapuis

Girth a écrit :

Lionel Chapuis wrote:

I'd like to see VAT increased--with the same exclusions on books,
food, and children's clothing etc.--and income tax abolished.

I agree to an extent, but as somebody else suggested "fat cats" will
just bank it or find another way of evading value added tax.

Somebody else didn't suggest the things you wrote hereabove. In other
words if you want to correctly comment some social aspects of state
fiscality I suggest you to ask to somebody else...

Lionel

PS : somebody else has already sincerely apologies, but if it's not
enough for you, somebody else **** you !

Sorry for that but don't be so "disdainful".

English is my second language.

And your first nature, yes I know.

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Lionel Chapuis

Girth a écrit :

Lionel Chapuis wrote:

I'd like to see VAT increased--with the same exclusions on books,
food, and children's clothing etc.--and income tax abolished.

I agree to an extent, but as somebody else suggested "fat cats" will
just bank it or find another way of evading value added tax.

Somebody else didn't suggest the things you wrote hereabove.

Nobody else suggested those things? I felt sure somebody else, did.

Hey, why don't you go **** somebody else!

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

My first name is "Lionel", not "Trotsy".

;-)