Stuart

Default Marantz 2270 question

i have an opportunity to buy one of these two classic receivers from
Marantz. I'd love the 2270 for shear power but my wife is concerned it
will be too loud for our neighbors - we live in an apartment. This may
be a silly question but can I play this stereo at low volumes just as
I could a much less powerful stereo? Or is there less of a range in
lower volumes. I could buy a 2250b (50 wps instead of 70) instead but
is there really a difference in terms of low volume sound? Opinions?
Thoughts?

Stu
Max Holubitsky

Buy the 2270. It can play just as quietly as a less powerful unit, but
because it has more headroom, the distortion will likely be lower, and you
will enjoy better sound even at lower volumes.

Stuart wrote:

i have an opportunity to buy one of these two classic receivers from
Marantz. I'd love the 2270 for shear power but my wife is concerned it
will be too loud for our neighbors - we live in an apartment. This may
be a silly question but can I play this stereo at low volumes just as
I could a much less powerful stereo? Or is there less of a range in
lower volumes. I could buy a 2250b (50 wps instead of 70) instead but
is there really a difference in terms of low volume sound? Opinions?
Thoughts?

Stu

Arny Krueger

"Stuart" wrote in message
om

i have an opportunity to buy one of these two classic receivers from
Marantz. I'd love the 2270 for shear power but my wife is concerned it
will be too loud for our neighbors - we live in an apartment. This may
be a silly question but can I play this stereo at low volumes just as
I could a much less powerful stereo? Or is there less of a range in
lower volumes. I could buy a 2250b (50 wps instead of 70) instead but
is there really a difference in terms of low volume sound? Opinions?
Thoughts?

There isn't that much difference in maximum loudness between a 50 wpc
receiver and a 70 wpc receiver. The difference is less than 2 dB.

If it's in good shape, I recommend buy the 2270. IME is was a very nice
receiver in its day.

Stuart

How does the sound and quality of the later produced 2275 compare with
its more famous older brother the 2270?

Ron wrote in message . ..
The 2270 was a very nice receiver, with excellent sound.
IIRC, it was fairly reliable (I used to provide warranty
service for Marantz products and speak from general
recollection). If the particular one you are considering
is in good condition, I am sure you will enjoy it greatly.
The 2250, however, is a later model and likely younger. I
would audition both very carefully before making a final
choice.

-- Ron