jtees4

Default Denon mini system

I am looking for a mini stereo system. I've looked at a few Denon
models and am just wondering if they are worth the extra money over
seemingly similar systems by other manufacturers. I think they
probably are, but would like to hear some other opinions. Thank you.

NEVER FORGET!!!
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/us/01...toyen.amy.html
Scott Dorsey

jtees4 wrote:
I am looking for a mini stereo system. I've looked at a few Denon
models and am just wondering if they are worth the extra money over
seemingly similar systems by other manufacturers. I think they
probably are, but would like to hear some other opinions. Thank you.

Get a clean and unprocessed recording of a voice. Listen to it. Close
your eyes. Can you imagine that it's a real human being in front of you,
or does it sound like speakers? If it sounds like speakers, what makes it
sound that way?

Do this test on a few different systems and you'll be surprised at just
how poor even the best stereo systems are. And you'd think a voice would
be easy to reproduce. It turns out it's not so easy.
Pooh Bear

Scott Dorsey wrote:

jtees4 wrote:
I am looking for a mini stereo system. I've looked at a few Denon
models and am just wondering if they are worth the extra money over
seemingly similar systems by other manufacturers. I think they
probably are, but would like to hear some other opinions. Thank you.

Get a clean and unprocessed recording of a voice. Listen to it. Close
your eyes. Can you imagine that it's a real human being in front of you,
or does it sound like speakers? If it sounds like speakers, what makes it
sound that way?

Do this test on a few different systems and you'll be surprised at just
how poor even the best stereo systems are. And you'd think a voice would
be easy to reproduce. It turns out it's not so easy.

Pianos are pretty tricky too !

Graham

Scott Dorsey

Pooh Bear wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

Do this test on a few different systems and you'll be surprised at just
how poor even the best stereo systems are. And you'd think a voice would
be easy to reproduce. It turns out it's not so easy.

Pianos are pretty tricky too !

Pianos are tricky, but the average person hasn't spent a lot of time listening
carefully to them. But everyone has spent all their life listening to voices.
A piano can tell a trained listener a lot more, if only because the range is
so much wider, but for the guy on the street it's a lot easier for them to
hear problems with vocals.
Pooh Bear

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

Do this test on a few different systems and you'll be surprised at just
how poor even the best stereo systems are. And you'd think a voice would
be easy to reproduce. It turns out it's not so easy.

Pianos are pretty tricky too !

Pianos are tricky, but the average person hasn't spent a lot of time listening
carefully to them. But everyone has spent all their life listening to voices.
A piano can tell a trained listener a lot more, if only because the range is
so much wider, but for the guy on the street it's a lot easier for them to
hear problems with vocals.

Good point.

Cheers, Graham

Don Cooper

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Get a clean and unprocessed recording of a voice. Listen to it. Close
your eyes. Can you imagine that it's a real human being in front of you,
or does it sound like speakers? If it sounds like speakers, what makes it
sound that way?

Do this test on a few different systems and you'll be surprised at just
how poor even the best stereo systems are. And you'd think a voice would
be easy to reproduce. It turns out it's not so easy.

Scott, that's the best explanation of this stuff I've ever heard.

Thanks,

Don
Chris Hornbeck

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 01:17:42 -0400, Don Cooper
wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Get a clean and unprocessed recording of a voice. Listen to it. Close
your eyes. Can you imagine that it's a real human being in front of you,
or does it sound like speakers? If it sounds like speakers, what makes it
sound that way?

Do this test on a few different systems and you'll be surprised at just
how poor even the best stereo systems are. And you'd think a voice would
be easy to reproduce. It turns out it's not so easy.

Scott, that's the best explanation of this stuff I've ever heard.

No, it's not! His description of "why" a few lines down is.
You itchin' fer a fight?

Chris Hornbeck
Don Cooper

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

No, it's not! His description of "why" a few lines down is.
You itchin' fer a fight?

No, I'm Hitchen for one!

Don
Chris Hornbeck

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 01:54:46 -0400, Don Cooper
wrote:

You itchin' fer a fight?

No, I'm Hitchen for one!

Them's fayten words. Let's fayght!

(Where I live, some folks will still take you up on an
offer like this. Oh, you're an American too.)

Happy Fourth! Kick ass and take names.

Chris Hornbeck
Don Cooper

Chris Hornbeck wrote: