Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Schizoid Man

Default Thoughts on Orpheus

I've been absent from this forum lately.

Two reasons: one is that work has been very busy, and secondly I had the
good fortune to listen to a piece of equipment that a friend of mine
recently purchased that caused me to temporarily lose interest in home
audio.

But given the incomprehensible wet streak we're having here in San
Francisco, I am back.

A former colleague of mine just purchased the Sennheiser Orpheus phones
alongwith the amp from a seller in Hungary via headfi. To call them
stunning would be a euphemism.

The only words I can think of are lucidity and clarity. They were simply
gorgeous.

The Sennheiser Oprheus headphones are more of a pleasure to listen to
than any $20,000+ pair of speakers I have heard from JM Lab, Wilson
Audio, Sonus Faber, etc.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:26:17 -0700, Schizoid Man wrote:

I've been absent from this forum lately.

Two reasons: one is that work has been very busy, and secondly I had the
good fortune to listen to a piece of equipment that a friend of mine
recently purchased that caused me to temporarily lose interest in home
audio.

But given the incomprehensible wet streak we're having here in San
Francisco, I am back.

A former colleague of mine just purchased the Sennheiser Orpheus phones
alongwith the amp from a seller in Hungary via headfi. To call them
stunning would be a euphemism.

The only words I can think of are lucidity and clarity. They were simply
gorgeous.

The Sennheiser Oprheus headphones are more of a pleasure to listen to
than any $20,000+ pair of speakers I have heard from JM Lab, Wilson
Audio, Sonus Faber, etc.

Do they make digital sound more like analogue?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Schizoid Man

paul packer wrote:
[...]

That's just it. They were absolutely 'clear'. I mean completely neutral.
The bit where Dave Gilmor laughs into the left channel on Shine On You
Crazy Diamond was so realistic that I thought someone in the room was
laughing.

I was floored. Simply floored. It is the best piece of audio equipment I
have ever heard. Bar none.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:26:05 -0700, Schizoid Man wrote:

paul packer wrote:
[...]

Excellent. From what I've heard about them I can believe it. And to
think, you haven't even tried any of Mr. Sound's tweaks on them yet.
Imagine how good they'll sound after you do.

You are going to, aren't you? The guy in the shop won't mind you
sticking an L shape on them, with pinholes and picture of an animal.
Or whatever.

Seriously, the Orpheus is said to be the pinnacle, but who can afford
it? Apart from your friend, of course. BTW, you haven't mentioned a
price.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

A former colleague of mine just purchased the Sennheiser
Orpheus phones alongwith the amp from a seller in Hungary
via headfi. To call them stunning would be a euphemism.

The only words I can think of are lucidity and clarity.
They were simply gorgeous.

So are HD580s and 600s.

The Sennheiser Oprheus headphones are more of a pleasure
to listen to than any $20,000+ pair of speakers I have
heard from JM Lab, Wilson Audio, Sonus Faber, etc.

Begs the question, what do you do to a pair of $200 headphones to make
people want to pay $15,000 (quickly dropped to $5,000) a pair for them?

In the wacky world of high end audio the answer seems obvious:

(1) change some plastic external parts to wood.

(2) Jack up the price by more than an order of magnitude.

(3) Wait for someone with money burning a hole in their pocket. Be sure to
see them coming! ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 08:08:47 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

A former colleague of mine just purchased the Sennheiser
Orpheus phones alongwith the amp from a seller in Hungary
via headfi. To call them stunning would be a euphemism.

The only words I can think of are lucidity and clarity.
They were simply gorgeous.

So are HD580s and 600s.

The Sennheiser Oprheus headphones are more of a pleasure
to listen to than any $20,000+ pair of speakers I have
heard from JM Lab, Wilson Audio, Sonus Faber, etc.

Begs the question, what do you do to a pair of $200 headphones to make
people want to pay $15,000 (quickly dropped to $5,000) a pair for them?

Have them actually *listen* to them, maybe?

In the wacky world of high end audio the answer seems obvious:

(1) change some plastic external parts to wood.

(2) Jack up the price by more than an order of magnitude.

(3) Wait for someone with money burning a hole in their pocket. Be sure to
see them coming! ;-)

(4) Have them *actually* listen to them to determine whether the
difference in sound is worth the additional money, maybe?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Schizoid Man

paul packer wrote:

Excellent. From what I've heard about them I can believe it. And to
think, you haven't even tried any of Mr. Sound's tweaks on them yet.
Imagine how good they'll sound after you do.

You are going to, aren't you? The guy in the shop won't mind you
sticking an L shape on them, with pinholes and picture of an animal.
Or whatever.

Seriously, the Orpheus is said to be the pinnacle, but who can afford
it? Apart from your friend, of course. BTW, you haven't mentioned a
price.

He said that he paid the seller $10,000 including the phones, amp and
shipping from Hungary.

He also has another set of headphones called the Baby Orpheus, which are
also phenomenal, but not quite in the league of the parent.

The rig was pretty standard - Esoteric transport and D/A converter,
regular cables. The sound was exceptional. Simply exceptional.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Schizoid Man

wrote:

[...]

I stand by my original statement. If the choice was between the $10,000
Orpheus or the $80,000 Grand Utopia Be, I would firmly be entrenched in
the former camp.

They blow anything away. Anything that I have heard at least.

Full disclosure - I have never heard the Dynaudio Evidence Master.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

A former colleague of mine just purchased the
Sennheiser Orpheus phones alongwith the amp from a
seller in Hungary via headfi. To call them stunning
would be a euphemism.

The only words I can think of are lucidity and clarity.
They were simply gorgeous.

So are HD580s and 600s.

Note that none of the so-called RAO eggspurts did a blind evaluation of
Sennheiser Oprheus versus either of the above.

Of course, they are immune to the possible psychological impact of the high
price of the Oprheus headphones - we all know that. And if you believe
that - I've got a bridge over the Detroit River I'd like to sell you! ;-)

The Sennheiser Oprheus headphones are more of a
pleasure to listen to than any $20,000+ pair of
speakers I have heard from JM Lab, Wilson Audio, Sonus
Faber, etc.

Begs the question, what do you do to a pair of $200
headphones to make people want to pay $15,000 (quickly
dropped to $5,000) a pair for them?

Have them actually *listen* to them, maybe?

Just listening would be fine. Of course, as Middius and Sackman are quick to
point out - hardly anybody actually does that.

Two words: Sighted Evaluation.

In the wacky world of high end audio the answer seems
obvious:

(1) change some plastic external parts to wood.

(2) Jack up the price by more than an order of
magnitude. (3) Wait for someone with money burning a hole in their
pocket. Be sure to see them coming! ;-)

(4) Have them *actually* listen to them to determine
whether the difference in sound is worth the additional
money, maybe?

See former comments about just litening.

I stand by my original statement.

Will the first person who is surprised by this raise their hand? ;-)

If the choice was
between the $10,000 Orpheus or the $80,000 Grand Utopia
Be, I would firmly be entrenched in the former camp.

Nothing like the panache of having speakers made up of a virulent poison in
your living room, eh?

If the Grand Utopia Be's were sold in the more pragmatic marketplace of
professional audio, the top asking price would be less than a tenth of that.
Clearly a product for people who are impressed by their ability to buy
things at a price they never ask. It's all about bragging rights.

They blow anything away. Anything that I have heard at
least.

Being 6 dB down at 20 Hz, they are probably a little thin sounding for my
taste.

Full disclosure - I have never heard the Dynaudio Evidence Master.

Nor have you hear what's in Tom Nousaine's living room. His are speakers
that blow other speakers away the old fashioned way: They create bass so low
that it is best characterized as a strong wind that changes direction at low
frequencies.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

"Arny Krueger" said:

Nor have you hear what's in Tom Nousaine's living room. His are speakers
that blow other speakers away the old fashioned way: They create bass so low
that it is best characterized as a strong wind that changes direction at low
frequencies.

Directional bass???

Let him contact my employer, please, before EAW, Meyer, JBL, QSC and
all the usual suspects are at it!

--

- Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience. -

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Ruud Broens

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
: "Arny Krueger" said:
:
:
: Nor have you hear what's in Tom Nousaine's living room. His are speakers
: that blow other speakers away the old fashioned way: They create bass so low
: that it is best characterized as a strong wind that changes direction at low
: frequencies.
:
:
: Directional bass???
:
: Let him contact my employer, please, before EAW, Meyer, JBL, QSC and
: all the usual suspects are at it!
:
: --

simple, quadrature ultrasound mixing will do the job
you need about Arny-size piezo's, to get some oomphff ;-)

PA Man

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Arny Krueger" said:

Nor have you hear what's in Tom Nousaine's living room.
His are speakers that blow other speakers away the old
fashioned way: They create bass so low that it is best
characterized as a strong wind that changes direction at
low frequencies.

Directional bass???

Let him contact my employer, please, before EAW, Meyer,
JBL, QSC and all the usual suspects are at it!

Some of them have already been there and done that.

Search under Cardioid speakers.

Examples:

http://nexo-sa.com/user/data/Nexo-GeoSub%204PP.pdf

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/HU...ges/44789.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

wrote:

"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

A former colleague of mine just purchased the
Sennheiser Orpheus phones alongwith the amp from a
seller in Hungary via headfi. To call them stunning
would be a euphemism.

The only words I can think of are lucidity and clarity.
They were simply gorgeous.

So are HD580s and 600s.

Note that none of the so-called RAO eggspurts did a blind evaluation of
Sennheiser Oprheus versus either of the above.

Well, you haven't either, have you?

Of course, they are immune to the possible psychological impact of the high
price of the Oprheus headphones - we all know that. And if you believe
that - I've got a bridge over the Detroit River I'd like to sell you! ;-)

And you of course can question the cost of a piece of gear that you
haven't even evaluated, sighted OR unsighted.

Care to buy the bridge back? It's real cheap. Cheaper than the
Orpheus.

The Sennheiser Oprheus headphones are more of a
pleasure to listen to than any $20,000+ pair of
speakers I have heard from JM Lab, Wilson Audio, Sonus
Faber, etc.

Begs the question, what do you do to a pair of $200
headphones to make people want to pay $15,000 (quickly
dropped to $5,000) a pair for them?

Have them actually *listen* to them, maybe?

Just listening would be fine.

Well, maybe you could do that and report back to us. Of course, you're
going to have to do some interesting tweaks to be able to do a "blind
test".

Of course, as Middius and Sackman are quick to point out - hardly anybody actually does that.

Two words: Sighted Evaluation.

Well, you haven't even done the *other* two words - unsighted
evaluation. But that didn't stop YOU from weighing in with the below,
did it?

[...]

And they'd probably be butt-ugly. But as we know, most of what you see
in speakers in terms of "professional audio" are big bins of your
hated horns in black plywood or MDF boxes anyway. Either that or small
near-field speakers designed to be used in cramped control rooms. Of
course, you can already pay a fortune for professional "movie" speaker
systems.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Schizoid Man

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

Two words: Sighted Evaluation.

Completely false. I had never even heard of the Orpheus headphones until
I heard them. And it was only after extended listening ( 1 hour) did I
find out how much they cost.

Will the first person who is surprised by this raise their hand? ;-)

If the Grand Utopia Be's were sold in the more pragmatic marketplace of
professional audio, the top asking price would be less than a tenth of that.
Clearly a product for people who are impressed by their ability to buy
things at a price they never ask. It's all about bragging rights.

Again, let me reiterate the fact that I had no knowledge of what the
Orpheus was before I had a listen. And I definitely did not know how
much they cost.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Schizoid Man said:

Again, let me reiterate the fact that I had no knowledge of what the
Orpheus was before I had a listen. And I definitely did not know how
much they cost.

At this juncture, standard "debating trade" procedure is for the Krooborg
to accuse you of "lying".

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without arsenic.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:45:11 -0700, Schizoid Man wrote:

paul packer wrote:

Excellent. From what I've heard about them I can believe it. And to
think, you haven't even tried any of Mr. Sound's tweaks on them yet.
Imagine how good they'll sound after you do.

You are going to, aren't you? The guy in the shop won't mind you
sticking an L shape on them, with pinholes and picture of an animal.
Or whatever.

Seriously, the Orpheus is said to be the pinnacle, but who can afford
it? Apart from your friend, of course. BTW, you haven't mentioned a
price.

He said that he paid the seller $10,000 including the phones, amp and
shipping from Hungary.

Exactly. And if they hadn't sounded good? Can your friend swear in
Hungarian?

He also has another set of headphones called the Baby Orpheus

Do they have to be burped every couple of hours?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

wrote:

"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

A former colleague of mine just purchased the Sennheiser
Orpheus phones alongwith the amp from a seller in Hungary
via headfi. To call them stunning would be a euphemism.

The only words I can think of are lucidity and clarity.
They were simply gorgeous.

So are HD580s and 600s.

Go away, Arnie. Only an idiot would pretend the 580 and 600 are in the
same league as an Orpheus. Even the old Stax Lambda Pro would blow the
600 away. All that you hear at a live concert but don't hear at home,
that's what the Orpheus provides.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

So are HD580s and 600s.

Note that none of the so-called RAO eggspurts did a blind evaluation of
Sennheiser Oprheus versus either of the above.

Of course, they are immune to the possible psychological impact of the high
price of the Oprheus headphones - we all know that. And if you believe
that - I've got a bridge over the Detroit River I'd like to sell you! ;-)

Begs the question, what do you do to a pair of $200
headphones to make people want to pay $15,000 (quickly
dropped to $5,000) a pair for them?

Have them actually *listen* to them, maybe?

Just listening would be fine.

But you haven't listened to the Orpheus. Yet you don't find a
problem telling people they're a rip off, no better than the 580
model. Given the price of the phones, you'd never be able to get your
fat grubby mitts anywhere near them, to try them - so you haven't.
Ergo, you don't know anything about the headphones (they come with a
tube amp, as I recall), and yet you can "confidently" proclaim to
people that they are merely Sennheister 580's with wood frames, and
about $15,000 added.

So besides being intolerant of my tweaks which you can't figure out
and that frighten and threaten you, you're also intolerant of high
end cables, wires, cd players, turntables, headphones and of course,
Jews. Any other forms of bigotry in you that we should know about,
Arny?

Two words: Sighted Evaluation.

Pray tell, how do you blind test a pair of headphones, say the
Sennheiser 580 vs. the Orpheus? The Orpheus will be a heavier pair and
clearly, you'll be able to feel the difference on your head?
Uh-oh.... looks like someone threw another spanner in the works for
Arny's "ABX Empire" agenda. I predict we'll find you hiding behind
the fridge now.

If the Grand Utopia Be's were sold in the more pragmatic marketplace of
professional audio, the top asking price would be less than a tenth of that.
Clearly a product for people who are impressed by their ability to buy
things at a price they never ask. It's all about bragging rights.

Translation: "I wish I was wealthy enough to afford those speakers,
damn it."

They blow anything away. Anything that I have heard at
least.

Being 6 dB down at 20 Hz, they are probably a little thin sounding for my
taste.

Spoken like a true gearhead. Arny, you will die never knowing squat
about what sounds good. There's something comforing in that, i find.

Nor have you hear what's in Tom Nousaine's living room. His are speakers
that blow other speakers away the old fashioned way: They create bass so low
that it is best characterized as a strong wind that changes direction at low
frequencies.

Typical gearhead thing to say. Who cares if they don't sound
musical?! The important thing is, they can rattle the foundation of the
house reproducing "sounds".

Correction: You and Noussaine both are doomed to remain eternally
clueless.
And I'm not just talking about audio.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

Two words: Sighted Evaluation.

Completely false.

Tell us about your time-synched, level-matched, double blind test of these
headphones and how you avoided feeling the difference between the Orpheus
and the phones you compared them to.

Two words: Didn't happen. ;-)

I had never even heard of the Orpheus
headphones until I heard them. And it was only after
extended listening ( 1 hour) did I find out how much
they cost.

Just shows Schzoid how little you know about how the product was carefully
contrived to have the result you posted.

Note: even expensive men's cologne can't remove the smell of turnips when
it is this strong.

Let's talk for a second about the dirty truth about headphones. You know,
the one that none of the high end ragazines and web sites have the guts to
put down in print.

The sound you hear from headphones is profoundly affected by the shape of
the pinnae and the ear canal, which is about as individual as one's
fingerprints. Then, there's the slight matter of individual and cultural
preferences.

Therefore, there is no such thing as a pair of headphones that is optimal
for everybody. If you want really accurate (i.e., lifelike) sound from
headphones you at minimum need really good general-purpose good headphones,
a good stereo parametric equalizer and 3-10 years experience using an
equalizer to make music and speech sound right. IOW, skills at least on the
scale of an experienced but not necessarily well-known mastering engineer or
a senior live sound technican.

Will the first person who is surprised by this raise

their hand? ;-)

If the Grand Utopia Be's were sold in the more pragmatic
marketplace of professional audio, the top asking price
would be less than a tenth of that. Clearly a product
for people who are impressed by their ability to buy
things at a price they never ask. It's all about
bragging rights.

Again, let me reiterate the fact that I had no knowledge
of what the Orpheus was before I had a listen. And I
definitely did not know how much they cost.

The Orpheus headphones were designed to ooooze the visual and tactile
impression of good sounding, expensive headphones. Please give Sennheiser
credit for having at least one staff person or consultant who passed
Marketing 101!

BTW Schizoid don't feel hurt about not knowing how much the Orpheus
headphones were supposed to cost - Sennheiser apparently didn't know at
first how much they should cost, either. Allegedly Sennheiser started the
Orpheus out in the marketplace at $15K a pair, but cut the price to a mere
$5K when they didn't sell at the higher price. Or maybe it was all schtick
for image purposes.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast
[dot] net wrote in message

Schizoid Man said:

Again, let me reiterate the fact that I had no knowledge
of what the Orpheus was before I had a listen. And I
definitely did not know how much they cost.

At this juncture, standard "debating trade" procedure is
for the Krooborg to accuse you of "lying".

Wrong, the standard approach is to point out consummate naivete, when faced
with it on such a cosmic scale.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
ups.com

wrote:

So are HD580s and 600s.

Note that none of the so-called RAO eggspurts did a
blind evaluation of Sennheiser Oprheus versus either of
the above.

Of course, they are immune to the possible psychological
impact of the high price of the Oprheus headphones - we
all know that. And if you believe
that - I've got a bridge over the Detroit River I'd like
to sell you! ;-)

Begs the question, what do you do to a pair of $200
headphones to make people want to pay $15,000 (quickly
dropped to $5,000) a pair for them?

Have them actually *listen* to them, maybe?

Just listening would be fine.

But you haven't listened to the Orpheus.

Neither has anybody else posting here, it seems.

Yet you don't find a problem telling people they're a rip off, no better
than
the 580 model.

Wow, where did I say that?

Hint: I didn't. You made this up all by yourself SHP.

Given the price of the phones, you'd never
be able to get your fat grubby mitts anywhere near them,
to try them - so you haven't.

Doesn't it get cold up in that ivory tower, SHP? Could you be more pompous
and misleading if you tried?

Ergo, you don't know
anything about the headphones (they come with a tube amp,
as I recall),

So what's your point SHP? I own tubed equipment that I use fairly
frequently. Note that its well-designed and has modern refinements like
negative feedback, even in loops.

and yet you can "confidently" proclaim to
people that they are merely Sennheister 580's with wood
frames, and about $15,000 added.

Wow, where did I say that?

Hint: I didn't. You made this up all by yourself SHP.

So besides being intolerant of my tweaks which you can't
figure out and that frighten and threaten you,

Wow, where did I say that?

Hint: I didn't. You made this up all by yourself SHP.

you're
also intolerant of high
end cables, wires, cd players, turntables, headphones and
of course, Jews.

Wow, where did I say that?

Hint: I didn't. You made this up all by yourself SHP.

BTW SHP you seem to be ignoring the fact that I'm routinely accused of
loving Jesus, and by most accounts he was a Jew.

Any other forms of bigotry in you that
we should know about, Arny?

Hatred of stupidity and lies. Does that threaten you, SHP?

Two words: Sighted Evaluation.

Pray tell, how do you blind test a pair of headphones,
say the Sennheiser 580 vs. the Orpheus? The Orpheus will
be a heavier pair and clearly, you'll be able to feel the
difference on your head?

Add helium baloons?

Uh-oh.... looks like someone threw another spanner in the
works for Arny's "ABX Empire" agenda. I predict we'll
find you hiding behind the fridge now.

Looks like I've already made you hide behind your posturing and lies, SHP.

If the Grand Utopia Be's were sold in the more pragmatic
marketplace of professional audio, the top asking price
would be less than a tenth of that. Clearly a product
for people who are impressed by their ability to buy
things at a price they never ask. It's all about
bragging rights.

Translation: "I wish I was wealthy enough to afford those
speakers, damn it."

Wow, where did I say that?

Hint: I didn't. You made this up all by yourself SHP.

They blow anything away. Anything that I have heard at
least.

Being 6 dB down at 20 Hz, they are probably a little
thin sounding for my taste.

Spoken like a true gearhead. Arny, you will die never
knowing squat about what sounds good. There's something
comforing in that, i find.

When you figure out what *comforing* is SHP, would you let us know? ;-)

Nor have you hear what's in Tom Nousaine's living room.
His are speakers that blow other speakers away the old
fashioned way: They create bass so low that it is best
characterized as a strong wind that changes direction at
low frequencies.

Typical gearhead thing to say. Who cares if they don't
sound musical?!

Applying your own standards SHP -when was the last time you heard Tom's
stereo?

Ooops! Kryptonite!

The important thing is, they can rattle the
foundation of the house reproducing "sounds".

I've heard Toms system play music on many occasions, but I never heard the
foundation rattling, even when I was in his basement with everything going
upstairs.

Correction: You and Noussaine both are doomed to remain
eternally clueless.

Given your apparent standard for having a clue SHP, that is a profoundly
comforting statement. Thank you! ;-)

And I'm not just talking about audio.

When did you start talking about audio SHP? I'm still waiting for you to
start!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Schizoid Man

paul packer wrote:

paul packer wrote:

He said that he paid the seller $10,000 including the phones, amp and
shipping from Hungary.

Exactly. And if they hadn't sounded good? Can your friend swear in
Hungarian?

I don't know, but he runs his own hedge fund so if he's out a week's
income, I don't think he'll shed many tears!

He also has another set of headphones called the Baby Orpheus

Do they have to be burped every couple of hours?

I don't think so, but they are more shrill than the folks.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Schizoid Man

wrote:

"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

A former colleague of mine just purchased the Sennheiser
Orpheus phones alongwith the amp from a seller in Hungary
via headfi. To call them stunning would be a euphemism.

The only words I can think of are lucidity and clarity.
They were simply gorgeous.

So are HD580s and 600s.

Go away, Arnie. Only an idiot would pretend the 580 and 600 are in the
same league as an Orpheus. Even the old Stax Lambda Pro would blow the
600 away. All that you hear at a live concert but don't hear at home,
that's what the Orpheus provides.

Well said. I listened to WYWH from start to finish and the effect was
astonishing.

Like I said before, it was like Dave Gilmour was in the room during the
laughing bit in SOYCD.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Schizoid Man

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

Two words: Sighted Evaluation.

Completely false.

Tell us about your time-synched, level-matched, double blind test of these
headphones and how you avoided feeling the difference between the Orpheus
and the phones you compared them to.

You and your damn DBTs. How many times do I have to say that they were
better (i.e. a totally subjective word) than anything I have ever heard?

But then again, isn't music a completely subjective medium? Metallica is
one man's Mozart and the other's nails-on-a-chalkboard.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

Two words: Sighted Evaluation.

Completely false.

Tell us about your time-synched, level-matched, double
blind test of these headphones and how you avoided
feeling the difference between the Orpheus and the
phones you compared them to.

You and your damn DBTs. How many times do I have to say
that they were better (i.e. a totally subjective word)
than anything I have ever heard?

Say it as many times as you like. I can always ignore it one more time than
you can say it. ;-)

But then again, isn't music a completely subjective
medium?

We're talking about comparing equipment here, not pieces of music.

Metallica is one man's Mozart and the other's nails-on-a-chalkboard.

Red herring argument noted.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:40:59 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

We're talking about comparing equipment here

Then perhaps you shouldn't comment on the Orpheus system until you've
done just that.

Oh yeah, good luck trying to design a real blind test.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!

From: Arny Krueger
Date: Wed, Apr 12 2006 2:56 pm
Email: "Arny Krueger"

Two words: Sighted Evaluation.

Two words: proven liar.

Two more words: admitted troll.

You're a loser. Go away and quit fouling RAO.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

Two words: Sighted Evaluation.

Completely false.

Tell us about your time-synched, level-matched, double
blind test of these headphones and how you avoided
feeling the difference between the Orpheus and the
phones you compared them to.

You and your damn DBTs. How many times do I have to say
that they were better (i.e. a totally subjective word)
than anything I have ever heard?

Say it as many times as you like. I can always ignore it one more time than
you can say it. ;-)

But then again, isn't music a completely subjective
medium?

We're talking about comparing equipment here, not pieces of music.

And there we are again at the crux of many of our differences. It's
true that we aren't comparing the composition of pieces of music, but we
ARE comparing the SOUND of pieces of music, and that IS subjective.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Schizoid Man

Arny Krueger wrote:

We're talking about comparing equipment here, not pieces of music.

Jeez, for a second I thought the purpose of the equipment was to
reproduce the music. I stand corrected.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

dave weil said:

We're talking about comparing equipment here

Then perhaps you shouldn't comment on the Orpheus system until you've
done just that.

Oh yeah, good luck trying to design a real blind test.

Arnii, how about applying a local anesthetic to the head? That way he
won't be able to tell what each set of headphones feels like.

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without arsenic.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!

From: Arny Krueger
Date: Thurs, Apr 13 2006 7:05 am
Email: "Arny Krueger"

Let's talk for a second about the dirty truth and how I corrupt it. You know,
how I say things and then deny saying them, how I lie on a daily basis,
and how I incessantly troll. I've even admitted that I'm nothing but a cheap troll!
Here's another secret: I hate music.;-)

The truth at last.

Maybe you will eventually get into your heaven if you keep up this new
leaf.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

paul packer said:

Exactly. And if they hadn't sounded good? Can your friend swear in
Hungarian?

I don't know, but he runs his own hedge fund so if he's out a week's
income, I don't think he'll shed many tears!

Hedge fund?

Too many sleeping pills, paulie?

--
A day without Krooger is like a day without arsenic.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com

wrote:

So are HD580s and 600s.

Note that none of the so-called RAO eggspurts did a
blind evaluation of Sennheiser Oprheus versus either of
the above.

Of course, they are immune to the possible psychological
impact of the high price of the Oprheus headphones - we
all know that. And if you believe
that - I've got a bridge over the Detroit River I'd like
to sell you! ;-)

Begs the question, what do you do to a pair of $200
headphones to make people want to pay $15,000 (quickly
dropped to $5,000) a pair for them?

Have them actually *listen* to them, maybe?

Just listening would be fine.

But you haven't listened to the Orpheus.

Neither has anybody else posting here, it seems.

Arny old man, I realize you're getting old. Way old. This thread
started because Schizoid Man posted having heard the Orpheus. So my
question is.... do you have Alzheimer's and would you know if you did?
Do you remember how to spell your name?

Yet you don't find a problem telling people they're a rip off, no better
than
the 580 model.

Wow, where did I say that?

Hint: I didn't. You made this up all by yourself SHP.

Damn you, Arny. Why is it whenever you're faced with the option to
admit you're wrong or embarass yourself before everyone, you always
choose to embarass yourself?

This below is you saying what I said you said. You said it just a few
hours ago. Arny, get yourself checked for Alzheimer's. You're an old
man.:

ARNY'S LIE REVEALED:
So are HD580s and 600s.

The Sennheiser Oprheus headphones are more of a pleasure to listen to than any $20,000+ pair of speakers I have heard from JM Lab, Wilson Audio, Sonus Faber, etc.

Begs the question, what do you do to a pair of $200 headphones to make
people want to pay $15,000 (quickly dropped to $5,000) a pair for them?

In the wacky world of high end audio the answer seems obvious:

(1) change some plastic external parts to wood.

Given the price of the phones, you'd never
be able to get your fat grubby mitts anywhere near them,
to try them - so you haven't.

Doesn't it get cold up in that ivory tower, SHP?

No, I have central heating.

Could you be more pompous
and misleading if you tried?

I'm sure I could do anything if I put my mind to it, but I've never
done that before, so I can't really say. I don't see what's misleading
about saying that your broke ass can't afford $20,000 headphones?

Ergo, you don't know
anything about the headphones (they come with a tube amp,
as I recall),

So what's your point SHP?

I think my point was that you don't know anything about headphones.
Perhaps we can add that to the long, long list of "things about audio
that Arny doesn't know".

and yet you can "confidently" proclaim to
people that they are merely Sennheister 580's with wood
frames, and about $15,000 added.

Wow, where did I say that?

Hint: I didn't. You made this up all by yourself SHP.

Seriously, you really ought to get that Alzheimer's looked after:

ARNY'S LIE REVEALED:
So are HD580s and 600s.

The Sennheiser Oprheus headphones are more of a pleasure to listen to than any $20,000+ pair of speakers I have heard from JM Lab, Wilson Audio, Sonus Faber, etc.

Begs the question, what do you do to a pair of $200 headphones to make
people want to pay $15,000 (quickly dropped to $5,000) a pair for them?

In the wacky world of high end audio the answer seems obvious:

(1) change some plastic external parts to wood.

So besides being intolerant of my tweaks which you can't
figure out and that frighten and threaten you,

Wow, where did I say that?

Hint: I didn't. You made this up all by yourself SHP.

So now you're saying that you're not intolerant of my tweaks, that you
didn't mock or dismiss them, that you didn't get angry at Jenn for not
dismissing them as thoroughly as you would have liked? Either you're
saying that, or you need to get that Alzheimer's looked at.

you're
also intolerant of high
end cables, wires, cd players, turntables, headphones and
of course, Jews.

Wow, where did I say that?

I guess your Alzheimer's is SO bad.... you just wiped out the last 10
years of life, in which saying the above is about all you did. Do you
remember which shoe goes on which foot, Arny?

BTW SHP you seem to be ignoring the fact that I'm routinely accused of
loving Jesus, and by most accounts he was a Jew.

Jesus was as much a jew as you're a knowledgable audiophile. And you
just said you're "accused" of loving him, not an admission that you
love Jesus. If you answer this question we might be able to clear that
up:

Q. Arny: Do you love Jesus?

Any other forms of bigotry in you that
we should know about, Arny?

Hatred of stupidity and lies. Does that threaten you, SHP?

No, it makes a lot of sense, actually. Since "stupidity and lies" is
what I've always proven you are full of, that is a tacit admission that
you hate yourself. Which explains why you feel a need to embarass
yourself all the time, like this, where you flat out deny things you
clearly said a few hours ago. You hate yourself, and you like being
humiliated. I'm sure that you live to go to S&M clubs, where you beg to
be whipped and peed on.

Two words: Sighted Evaluation.

Pray tell, how do you blind test a pair of headphones,
say the Sennheiser 580 vs. the Orpheus? The Orpheus will
be a heavier pair and clearly, you'll be able to feel the
difference on your head?

Add helium baloons?

That's your response? You're rant about the fact that SM never did a
blind test to your specifications, you dismiss his experiences because
he didn't, and then when asked how one does such a test, your answer is
a stupid joke?

I think you finally elucidated for us exactly why we should not take
you or your stupid ABX tests seriously, and that ALL audio should be
purchased on purely sighted, subjective listening. You just admitted
that your ABX TEST IS A JOKE!! Thank you for that, Arny.

Uh-oh.... looks like someone threw another spanner in the
works for Arny's "ABX Empire" agenda. I predict we'll
find you hiding behind the fridge now.

Looks like I've already made you hide behind your posturing and lies, SHP.

Looks more like I did, Arny:

ARNY'S LIE REVEALED:
So are HD580s and 600s.

[...]

You must have forgotten that you said this already 10 times, Arny.
Definitely Alzheimer's.

Spoken like a true gearhead. Arny, you will die never
knowing squat about what sounds good. There's something
comforing in that, i find.

When you figure out what *comforing* is SHP, would you let us know? ;-)

Ooooh, Arny gets me on a "typo". Sure sign of a loser, losing the
debate!
If I pointed out every time you made a type Arny, we'd never leave this
place. Well, you'll never leave this place anyhow, so I guess that's
moot.

Nor have you hear what's in Tom Nousaine's living room.
His are speakers that blow other speakers away the old
fashioned way: They create bass so low that it is best
characterized as a strong wind that changes direction at
low frequencies.

Typical gearhead thing to say. Who cares if they don't
sound musical?!

Applying your own standards SHP -when was the last time you heard Tom's
stereo?

I would never want to subject myself to the torture of listening to a
stereo owned either by you, are ANYONE YOU PERSONALLY KNOW. When was
the last time you heard a pair of Sennheiser Orpheus?

Ooops! Kryptonite!

Now you think you're Lex Luthor? Okay, Alzheimer's AND senility. Arny,
you're getting too old for this. Retire from RAO already.

The important thing is, they can rattle the
foundation of the house reproducing "sounds".

I've heard Toms system play music on many occasions, but I never heard the
foundation rattling, even when I was in his basement with everything going
upstairs.

Inability to avoid taking everything literally, noted.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:08:21 -0400, George M. Middius cmndr

paul packer said:

Exactly. And if they hadn't sounded good? Can your friend swear in
Hungarian?

I don't know, but he runs his own hedge fund so if he's out a week's
income, I don't think he'll shed many tears!

Hedge fund?

Too many sleeping pills, paulie?

In the same number of words you could have answered the question,
George.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Jenn" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

Two words: Sighted Evaluation.

Completely false.

Tell us about your time-synched, level-matched, double
blind test of these headphones and how you avoided
feeling the difference between the Orpheus and the
phones you compared them to.

You and your damn DBTs. How many times do I have to say
that they were better (i.e. a totally subjective word)
than anything I have ever heard?

Say it as many times as you like. I can always ignore it
one more time than you can say it. ;-)

But then again, isn't music a completely subjective
medium?

We're talking about comparing equipment here, not pieces
of music.

And there we are again at the crux of many of our
differences.

Sorta. The real problem Jenn is your bull-headedness, technical naivete and
naivete and general. Being both naive and bull-headed is a pretty dangerous
combination that seems to have already got you into trouble. At least in the
sense that you've scared yourself pretty badly. You've also missed a lot of
the audio experience by getting sidetracked into some of the older, sillier
scams in audio, like the expensive turntable scam.

It's true that we aren't comparing the
composition of pieces of music, but we ARE comparing the
SOUND of pieces of music, and that IS subjective.

Not at all, Jenn. When you compare headphones properly, you compare the same
piece of music played through each headphone. You're not comparing the sound
of pieces of music, you're comparing the sound of the headphones.

Please come back Jenn when you obtain your first clue about the following,
which is due to Stewart Pinkerton:

"Music is Art - Audio is Engineering"

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Arny Krueger wrote:

We're talking about comparing equipment here, not pieces
of music.

Jeez, for a second I thought the purpose of the equipment
was to reproduce the music. I stand corrected.

Your inability to tell the difference between comparing music and comparing
how equipment reproduces music is again noted.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

[...]

It has?

At least in the
sense that you've scared yourself pretty badly. You've also missed a lot of
the audio experience by getting sidetracked into some of the older, sillier
scams in audio, like the expensive turntable scam.

Yawn. No, I'm just open to the possibility that we have a difference of
opinion on priorities in regard to audio matters. You insist that it's
about personalities. You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

It's true that we aren't comparing the
composition of pieces of music, but we ARE comparing the
SOUND of pieces of music, and that IS subjective.

Not at all, Jenn.

Really? When most people compare gear, they use the sound of some music
to do the comparison.

When you compare headphones properly, you compare the same
piece of music played through each headphone.

In what way does that contradict my statement?

You're not comparing the sound
of pieces of music, you're comparing the sound of the headphones.

And the headphones are playing....?

Please come back Jenn when you obtain your first clue about the following,
which is due to Stewart Pinkerton:

"Music is Art - Audio is Engineering"

Please come back when you can discuss audio without bringing
personalities into the discussion.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Schizoid Man

Arny Krueger wrote:

We're talking about comparing equipment here, not pieces
of music.

Jeez, for a second I thought the purpose of the equipment
was to reproduce the music. I stand corrected.

Your inability to tell the difference between comparing music and comparing
how equipment reproduces music is again noted.

Arny,

Have you ever heard the Orpheuses?