Willis

Default Cabling Help for DJ Application

Good afternoon all,

I'm looking to pick up a Sennheiser microphone (XLR):

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...pec/270824.pdf

And run it into a Numark CD/Mixer combo (1/4" input):

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...n/m_800490.pdf

I don't need a cord longer than 15 or 20 feet maximum, but what kind of
cord do I pick up? I got a little mixed up over what a hi-z versus
lo-z cable was, etc etc, so if anybody can clarify I'd appreciate the
help. The mic will be used for club/pub PA system (i.e. no karaoke).

Thanks!

Willis

Richard Crowley

"Willis" wrote ...
I'm looking to pick up a Sennheiser microphone (XLR):
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...pec/270824.pdf

A conventional, modern low-impedance, balanced microphone.

And run it into a Numark CD/Mixer combo (1/4" input):
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...n/m_800490.pdf

Specs say mic input is: "-62dBV (0.8mV) into 3K ohms"
This is a conventional, low impedance microphone input.

I don't need a cord longer than 15 or 20 feet maximum, but
what kind of cord do I pick up? I got a little mixed up over
what a hi-z versus lo-z cable was, etc etc, so if anybody can
clarify I'd appreciate the help.

You need a "low-Z" mic cable. With Low-Z, you can actually
run hundreds of feet, so 20 ft is trivial.

You can use a conventional mic cable with a female XLR
connector at the mic end and male XLR at the mixer end,
and then use an XLR-to-phone adapter (like Musician's
Friend # 335209)

Or you can use a cable with female XLR at the mic end and
male 1/4-inch phone at the mixer end like the Musician's Friend
# 330591 Seems a bit overpriced to me ($18 for a 20-ft cable),
but then I make most of my own cables, so I'm unusually cheap.

The mic will be used for club/pub PA system (i.e. no karaoke).

Not really relevant.