Default using car stereo as a compact receiver for airport express streaming

I want to drive two pairs of Monitor speakers from a single AM/FM
receiver with a single input (AirPort Express) in a compact space.

A friend suggested something I thought rather clever -- a car stereo. A
higher end car stereo will deliver enough power for our relatively
modest needs and it could even include a CD player or even cassette
player (though neither are necessary). The AE's analog output would go
into the analog input jack of the car stereo (though sometimes we'd
probably use an iPod instead).

There are even separate volume controls that could output to the two
rooms.

My questions a

1. Any obvious problems here? We're talking 192 kpbs AAC encoded music
-- so not high fidelity.

2. I'd need a 120V to 12V converter that supplied quite a bit of
current. I'd also need some sort of enclosure. I'm quite lazy. Are
these available anywhere as a kit?

Thanks,

john

meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, audio, home, stereo, two room, compact,
apple, streaming

Richard Crowley

jfaughnan wrote ...
I want to drive two pairs of Monitor speakers from a single AM/FM
receiver with a single input (AirPort Express) in a compact space.

A friend suggested something I thought rather clever -- a car stereo.
higher end car stereo will deliver enough power for our relatively
modest needs and it could even include a CD player or even cassette
player (though neither are necessary). The AE's analog output would go
into the analog input jack of the car stereo (though sometimes we'd
probably use an iPod instead).

There are even separate volume controls that could output to the two
rooms.

My questions a

1. Any obvious problems here?

The most obvious one is: What possible advantage is a
car stereo over a domestic-style "boom box", compact
stereo system, etc. etc.

2. I'd need a 120V to 12V converter that supplied quite a bit of
current. I'd also need some sort of enclosure. I'm quite lazy. Are
these available anywhere as a kit?

They are available off the shelf. But why on earth bother
with such stuff when you can buy equipment designed for
home use?

Boom boxen don't drive remote speakers -- most won't work with external
speakers at all and many don't accept inputs. If you know a decent one
that would work though that would be great.

I'd love a compact stereo receiver that could drive remote speakers!! I
just haven't been able to find one on the market. Sorry, I should have
made that clear. I've looked in various stores, web sites, etc -- all
the receivers seems to be sized for a standard cabinet. Any
suggestions?

meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, stereo, compact, AirPort Express, small
size

Richard Crowley

jfaughnan wrote ...
Boom boxen don't drive remote speakers -- most won't work with
external
speakers at all and many don't accept inputs. If you know a decent one
that would work though that would be great.

I guess I'm cornfused. I thought you wanted the devices
(car radios, or whatever) AS the remote speakers? Sorry.

The music is on my iMac. The controls are on my iBook. The music
streams digitally from iMac to AirPort Express via 802.11g. The AirPort
Express does D/A conversion and outputs analog to the receiver, the
receiver send analog signals to the local and distal speakers.

I'd use a regular receiver, but I want to use small speakers and a
small receiver. Hard to find anything these days that's compact!

john

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
[...]

You can get more sound for the buck with low cost stereo
receivers.

You can get more sound for the buck with low cost stereo receivers.

Sure -- but I can't find a small one. Any recommendations?