landiu

Default Newbie Audio Setup Questions

I'm a complete newbie to pro audio and I a hoping some of you could answer a
few questions.

I have a small 2,000 Sq. Ft. "club" and want to upgrade my current sound
system to a more professional setup.

I currently have 1) Pioneer DJM600 Mixer, 1) Ex20 Samson Powered Speaker, 1)
100w home use type tuner/amp, 4) passive 2-way 165w speakers and 2) passive
220w 5-way speakers (each has a 15" sub).

My problem is that with all six 8 ohm speakers running, the system just has
no kick. If I run just the two 220w speakers, they have nice kick but they
do not fill the room with sound.

I'm thinking about buying a pro amp (Crest Audio V1100) but I have no idea
what else I'll need and/or how to hook up my current speakers to it. Any
help would be appreciated. Thank you.

---

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I currently have 1) Pioneer DJM600 Mixer, 1) Ex20 Samson Powered Speaker, 1)
100w home use type tuner/amp, 4) passive 2-way 165w speakers and 2) passive
220w 5-way speakers (each has a 15" sub).

My problem is that with all six 8 ohm speakers running, the system just has
no kick. If I run just the two 220w speakers, they have nice kick but they
do not fill the room with sound.

You don't have a system, you have a collection of stuff. You need
speakers that produce the sound you want at the volume that you want,
(not clear what you mean by "kick" but probalby that it's not loud
enough) and you need to place them (it might be only two, or four, or
six, or eight, depending on the shape and acoustic characteristics of
your room) where the sound is about the same anywhere you expect
people to listen. Then you need sufficient power in your amplifier to
drive those speakers to the volume you need.

I'm thinking about buying a pro amp (Crest Audio V1100) but I have no idea
what else I'll need and/or how to hook up my current speakers to it.

The power ratings of your speakers are almost certainly totally bogus.
I'd suggest that you spend a little money having people bring rental
systems into your club, find what sounds good, and see what they're
doing that makes it work for you. You don't necessarily need to buy
the identical system, but you can get speakers with similar
efficiency, power handling capacity and radiation pattern, and a
suitable amplifier to drive them. Or you can get lower efficiency
speakers and more amplifier power (as long as they're rated to take
it), or you can use speakers with a different radiation pattern by
putting them in different locations in the room.

But get some idea of what it takes to get the sound that you want in
the room that you have. At this point, all you know is what doesn't
work, and you need more input to your decision process.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )

What do you think of my audio setup? Alon Wolman Audio Opinions 0 May 23rd 04 11:48 PM
Comments about Blind Testing watch king High End Audio 24 January 28th 04 04:03 PM
Newbie question: Any good resources on audio production? Timberwolf Car Audio 1 August 7th 03 10:00 PM
Newbie questions J. Roberts Pro Audio 11 July 16th 03 10:26 PM
Newbie question: Any good resources on audio production? Sasa [Sason] Miocic General 0 July 1st 03 02:14 AM