Mike

Default Harman Kardon (high end)?

I just got my harman kardon today internet order from Costco. NO VOLUME!
The control ranges from -60db to 0db or so but when I crank it to about -25,
its a normal listening level (you can hold a conversation) any more volume
and the unit shuts off. I tried different speakers with the same results
(8ohms). I also noticed the unit is getting way hot and the fan is
running. This is playing 2 channel stereo music a low room levels.

Boy am I dissappointed. I payed 650 and waited a long time for this thing.
My last rcver was an HK avr70. It played much louder but crapped out
twice.

Any help out there?

I like to at least rattle the windows abit.. specially with the wife out of
town.

Cossie

"Mike" wrote in message
I just got my harman kardon today internet order from Costco. NO VOLUME!
The control ranges from -60db to 0db or so but when I crank it to

about -25,
its a normal listening level (you can hold a conversation) any more volume
and the unit shuts off. I tried different speakers with the same results
(8ohms). I also noticed the unit is getting way hot and the fan is
running. This is playing 2 channel stereo music a low room levels.

Boy am I dissappointed. I payed 650 and waited a long time for this

thing.
My last rcver was an HK avr70. It played much louder but crapped out
twice.

Any help out there?

I like to at least rattle the windows abit.. specially with the wife out

of
town.

You don't say what model you have. But the way it's acting reminds me of
what my Denon home theater receiver did when I removed the two rear speakers
without adjusting the system setup (Oops!). It continued to try to push
signal to the two speakers that weren't there, but the infinite resistance
of the cables with no transducers on the end really heated up the amp
quickly at high volume levels, and it would eventually trip the fail-safe
and shut down.

I would suggest that you go into your system setup and verify that
everything is correct - number of speakers connected, impedance, full-range
or satellite, etc. Also be sure that you are connecting the speakers to the
correct (main L/R) posts on the rear panel of the amp. What you describe
almost sounds like you may have your main L/R pair hooked up to the rear
surround channels by accident. Also, just as an afterthought, make sure
that the amp is properly placed with plenty of room to vent heat.

H-K makes decent products - especially amps. Something definitely isn't
right, whether it's an error in setting up the system or a component that's
bad out of the box.

Bill Balmer
Gene Poon

Mike wrote:

I just got my harman kardon today internet order from Costco. NO VOLUME!
The control ranges from -60db to 0db or so but when I crank it to about -25,
its a normal listening level (you can hold a conversation) any more volume
and the unit shuts off. I tried different speakers with the same results
(8ohms). I also noticed the unit is getting way hot and the fan is
running. This is playing 2 channel stereo music a low room levels.

Boy am I dissappointed. I payed 650 and waited a long time for this thing.
My last rcver was an HK avr70. It played much louder but crapped out
twice.

Any help out there?

I like to at least rattle the windows abit.. specially with the wife out of
town.

===========================

If you are using only one pair of 8 ohm speakers and there is no short
circuit in the speaker wires, it's defective. Take it back.

-GP

Glenn Gundlach

"Cossie" wrote in message ...

snip

[...]

Please explain to me how an amplifier delivering no power will cause
it to heat up. That sure doesn't square with the physics involved. The
only power being used would be to charge/discharge the capacitance of
the wiring, a pitifully small amount.

GG

Stewart Pinkerton

On 4 Oct 2003 15:39:34 GMT, (Glenn Gundlach)
wrote:

"Cossie" wrote in message ...

snip

[...]

If the amplifier had stability problems, it might well go into
oscillation with no load attached.