TheKeith

Default 1/4" versus 1/8" jacks

I'm doing some voice recording for my flash animations and I'm using a shure
sm57 with a midiman mic preamp. I used to feed the 1/4" line out from my mic
preamp to the 1/4" input on my soundblaster's LiveDrive unit (which is
basically an extension of the sound card with 1/4" inputs) -- the problem is
that I just started using it again after about a year and a half and for
some reason can't get it to work. The computer won't recognize it--no matter
how many times I uninstall the drivers and in the device manager and then
reinstall it. Enough rambling on, I went to radio shack today and picked up
a 1/4" stereo to 1/8" stereo adapter and just plugged that right into the
card instead-works fine, but since I have nothing to compare it to, I'm not
sure if it sounds worse than if I had been using the 1/4" ins.

In short, is there that much of a difference between 1/4" and 1/8",
particularly when the cable itself is a 1/4" one; only the plug (1/4" - 1/8"
adapter) is 1/8"? Thanks.

Mark A

"TheKeith" wrote in message
[...]

There is no difference in quality.

Jerry G.

The jack and plug type should not change the quality at all.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"TheKeith" wrote in message
[...]

TheKeith

"Jerry G." wrote in message
The jack and plug type should not change the quality at all.

great thanks. Just curious--what if I had been using a thinner (made for
1/8" plugs) cable, as opposed to just the jack? Would that have affected the
sound?

PaulB

if the cable quality is good and run is short it should not matter. one
thing you may want to use a 1/4" to 1/8" cord instead of just a metal
adaptor. it puts a lot of stress on the 1/8" plug and jack.

"TheKeith" wrote in message

"Jerry G." wrote in message
The jack and plug type should not change the quality at all.

great thanks. Just curious--what if I had been using a thinner (made for
1/8" plugs) cable, as opposed to just the jack? Would that have affected

the
sound?

Mark A

The jack and plug type should not change the quality at all.

great thanks. Just curious--what if I had been using a thinner (made for
1/8" plugs) cable, as opposed to just the jack? Would that have affected

the
sound?

The shielding makes more of a difference. Often the thickness of the cable
is mostly due to quality of the shielding.

Geoff Wood

"TheKeith" wrote in message

"Jerry G." wrote in message
The jack and plug type should not change the quality at all.

great thanks. Just curious--what if I had been using a thinner (made for
1/8" plugs) cable, as opposed to just the jack? Would that have affected

the
sound?

Going into a Soundblaster, cable quality is not a factor at all.

geoff

Todd H.

"TheKeith" writes:

In short, is there that much of a difference between 1/4" and 1/8",

Nope. The 1/8" jack might be a bit more of a pain in the ass for
someone to solder when manufacturing, but otherwise, metal is
metal...and you shouldn't perceive any difference in quality among
these two connection mechanisms.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Laurence Payne

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:21:46 +1300, "Geoff Wood"
-nospam wrote:

Going into a Soundblaster, cable quality is not a factor at all.

I wouldn't put it QUITE as strongly as that! But you'll have a
pleasant surprise when you lay out surprisingly little cash on a
mixing board and interface to the SB Line in rather than it's crappy
mic in.

CubaseFAQ page www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm

Scott Dorsey

The difference is that 1/8" jacks fail, and 1/4" jacks (long frame
ones anyway) don't. 1/8" jacks fail constantly and should not be
trusted.
Arny Krueger

"TheKeith" wrote in message

[...]

The big problems with 1/8" jacks is that they are delicate and fussy. If you
have a good 1/8 jack and get the plug seated well, the technical performance
for line-level signals is the same as the equivalent 1/4" jack.

IME sticking a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor plug into an 1/8" jack just exasperates
the already undesirable durability situation. An adaptor cable should be
used instead, because it avoids putting an undue mechanical load on the
jack. 1/8" jacks work best with relatively thin cables. For line-level
signals over a distance of 3 feet or less, thin cables aren't a problem.

TheKeith

Thanks everyone for your advice. I see what some of you mean about the
weight from that extra adapter putting too much stress on the connection.
What I need though is a cable with 2x 1/4" monos on one end and 1x 1/8"
stereo on the other. This particular kind of cable is not easy to find. It
is easy to find y-cables with like-size jacks on both ends but not unlike,
it would seem. I guess a good way to go would be to either to use my 1/8"
male to male stereo cable and connect it to a y-adapter with a stereo 1/8"
jack and 2x 1/4" mono plugs, although I haven't begun to look for this combo
yet either. Since I have soldering skills, another thing I could do is to
just buy the connectors and make my own custom cables.

Mark A

"TheKeith" wrote in message
Thanks everyone for your advice. I see what some of you mean about the
weight from that extra adapter putting too much stress on the connection.
What I need though is a cable with 2x 1/4" monos on one end and 1x 1/8"
stereo on the other. This particular kind of cable is not easy to find. It
is easy to find y-cables with like-size jacks on both ends but not unlike,
it would seem. I guess a good way to go would be to either to use my 1/8"
male to male stereo cable and connect it to a y-adapter with a stereo 1/8"
jack and 2x 1/4" mono plugs, although I haven't begun to look for this

combo
yet either. Since I have soldering skills, another thing I could do is to
just buy the connectors and make my own custom cables.

You are spending too much time worrying about things you don't need to worry
about.

TheKeith

"Mark A" wrote in message
"TheKeith" wrote in message
[...]

you're probably right :-)

Arny Krueger

"TheKeith" wrote in message

Thanks everyone for your advice. I see what some of you mean about the
weight from that extra adapter putting too much stress on the
connection. What I need though is a cable with 2x 1/4" monos on one
end and 1x 1/8" stereo on the other. This particular kind of cable is
not easy to find.

What is easy to find is a cable with 1 x 1/8" stereo on one end and 2 x RCA
on the other. Add RCA-to-1/4 mono adaptors, and you're stylin. Since the
adaptors are on the robust 1/4" end, durability is rarely an issue.

TheKeith

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"TheKeith" wrote in message

Thanks everyone for your advice. I see what some of you mean about the
weight from that extra adapter putting too much stress on the
connection. What I need though is a cable with 2x 1/4" monos on one
end and 1x 1/8" stereo on the other. This particular kind of cable is
not easy to find.

What is easy to find is a cable with 1 x 1/8" stereo on one end and 2 x

RCA
on the other. Add RCA-to-1/4 mono adaptors, and you're stylin. Since the
adaptors are on the robust 1/4" end, durability is rarely an issue.

That's a good idea--in fact, I even have that cable already! All I would
need are the 2x 1/4" mono adapters. Yeah, I might do it this way.

Les Cargill

TheKeith wrote:

Thanks everyone for your advice. I see what some of you mean about the
weight from that extra adapter putting too much stress on the connection.
What I need though is a cable with 2x 1/4" monos on one end and 1x 1/8"
stereo on the other. This particular kind of cable is not easy to find. It
is easy to find y-cables with like-size jacks on both ends but not unlike,
it would seem. I guess a good way to go would be to either to use my 1/8"
male to male stereo cable and connect it to a y-adapter with a stereo 1/8"
jack and 2x 1/4" mono plugs, although I haven't begun to look for this combo
yet either. Since I have soldering skills, another thing I could do is to
just buy the connectors and make my own custom cables.

What is easier to find is a stereo 1/8"-male-to-stereo-1/4" female adapter,
and an "insert cable" ( 1/4" stereo male to 2 mono 1/4" male ).

If you'll route this to a patchbay, you'll be able to get to them more easily
and not plug/unplug the 1/8" end quite so often.

--
Les Cargill
Laurence Payne

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:06:59 -0500, "TheKeith" wrote:

Since I have soldering skills, another thing I could do is to
just buy the connectors and make my own custom cables.

Well, what are you faffing about for? If you can make the bloody
things, just do it!

CubaseFAQ page www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm

Local Scene-Ent

Default xlr or 1/4 in

http://community.webtv.net/thelocalscene/THELOCALSCENE

El Queso

TheKeith wrote:
[...]

I use to use a Shure sm57 for voice recordings, I switched to an Octava
MK319 (only 99 bux at git center on sale) and it is a WORLD of
difference for voice-over and foley stuff. Very sensitive and very
cheap. Test it in the store though, I have heard that there are a few
bad ones floating around. I love mine. I have it going into a cheap
Bellari pre-amp and then into a cheap Behringer compressor.
Cheers,
Queso

dickydoo

No difference.

CJT

dickydoo wrote:

No difference.

I think 1/4" jacks are a _lot_ more reliable.

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the "SWEN" worm, I have
concluded we must conceal our e-mail address. Our true address is the

dickydoo

I think 1/4" jacks are a _lot_ more reliable.
Yes they are but he cant change the socket , so in this case it should be
okay, unless he wants to make a new lead with the cannon on one end and an
1/8 on the other.