Posted to rec.audio.tech
ian

Default Mic to record speeches

Hi;

I have been recording speeches in our club using a cheap dynamic mic
onto a Sony NH1.
The recording levels are quiet varied when looked at and edited using
Audictity.

I have been looking to buy a quality mic but not sure what type to go
for.

the speeches are usually from a lectern with the speaker wandering a
metre each side.
Placing the mic on the lectern produces bangs and nocks as nervous to
pro speaker knock it about. I tried the mic on a stand just in front of
the lectern that solved that problem, but get a distant type sound.

I looked at the E865 condenser mic as a solution but nervous at
spending on that and not giving me the results I am after, which is a
balanced sound from the speaker in a noisey type classroom environment.
Putting the mic 3 - 4 metres from the lectern seems to be the best on
my cheap mic.

Any suggestions as to the type and maybe model to look at.
What would the pro's choose?

Regards
Ian

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry

"ian" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

1: a wireless lavaliere

if not acceptable

2: a crown PCC or similar directional boundary effect mic mounted on or in
front of the lectern.

or

3: a pair of condenser mics, such as shure SM-81, rode nt-5, or similar on a
mic spreader, angled in so that the heads nearly touch, positioned far
enough back so that the mics point approximately at the points the wandering
lecturer travels to.

or

4: a short shotgun on an articulated boom w/ boom operator (note: no context
was specified in the request)

or

5: a long shotgun, stand mounted, operated by the recordist

or

6: a crown PZM or similar mounted on the ceiling above the lectern (if low
enough)

or

7: three microphones either on stands or hanging choir mics (or a
combination of)
one center and one each to the sides.

best option i believe would be number one: if the sound source moves have
the microphone move with it.