Default punk'd by too many FX

After doing most of my serious recording using a stand-alone recorder
(HD-24) I have been doing more & more on my 1.6 Pentium M laptop using
Cubase SX. Just got some new plug-ins and was doing some multi-track
mixing, adding FX to some BGVs and hit the wall. Everything started
skipping and clicking. Tried tome buffer adjustments to no avail. then
removed the last 3 verb assignments and everything started working OK
again.

I have read about outboard processors that take the strain off of the
computer itself but for those who have been working all computer based
recording for a while, thought I'd ask what my options are to be able
to increase the number and usage of my plugins without causing the
multi-track program to take a dump.

It's a Toshiba Satellite S-311 & I'm running XP home and clean my
computer daily of any spyware/adware/virus' and defrag almost daily. I
have cleaned most of my startup programs using msconfig. I am A+ cert.
and know quite a bit about getting the most out of my processor but I
know there are some of you out there that have much more experience
with audio and the interactions of.

Thoughts?

peakester

As my post says, "I was doing some multi-track mixing".
peakester

kleinebre

It isn't always necessary to apply the effects to each channel
individually. See if you can send your channels to a group and apply
the effects over that group. This is especially effective on reverb,
which tends to be the heaviest effect.

ceedub

What reverbs are you using!?!?!

I run an IBM T41 Thinkpad with Pentium M 1.6GHz (like yours), and 512M
of RAM. So far, this rig has handled exceptionally well. I have a few
suggestions, though:

1) consider a plugin soundcard to take some stress off the CPU (I just
bought an E-mu 1616 and it has a reverb on the chip, though it's not
the greatest it doesn't tax the CPU).

2) follow this lengthy bit of advice (taken from somewhere else, dunno
where or when):

One of the best results is to remove ALL cards except for the video
card
and add one card at a time and playing with the slot configurations
Second: Change the "Role" of the computer..
Right click "My Computer"
Select "Properties"
Select the "Performance" tab
Click on the "File System" button
Change the role of your PC from a Desktop to a Network Server...this
will
allow faster
streams of audio.(Restart)
Third: Make sure nothing is started up when you launch Windows:
In your Start Menu you will go to RUN
Type in MSCONFIG and press OK
Select the "Startup" tab and deselect EVERYTHING BUT YOUR SYSTEM
TRAY!!!
Press "Apply" ...Press "OK" (Restart)
NEW-----It turns out when you disable your startup items from this
System
Config Utility program
it creates a "second" Run category in your registry which "could" lead
a possible
issue at some point due to it creating a dash(-) after the word run.
In Start Menu you will go to RUN
Type in Regedit and press OK
Expand Hkey_Local_Machine
Expand Software
Expand Microsoft
Expand Windows
Expand Current Version
Find the folder labeled Run
Highlite each item and delete the key leaving your Systrem Tray alone
You will also see a Run Services folder
Hhighlite each item and delete each one and remove them all
Now...if you have done the MSCONFIG tweak in the startup tab you will
see
two folders here...Run
and Run-.....Delete the Run- folder and then continue as decribed above
on
the NEW way of
tweaking the startup..do the same with the Run Services- folder as well

Fourth: Make sure DMA is ON for your Hard Drives and Auto-Insert
Notification is OFF for your CDROMS
Right click "My Computer"
Select "Properties"
Select the "Device Manager" tab
Expand(Press the + sign) Disk Drives
Double click on the Drive you need to change
Select the "Settings" tab and make sure DMA has a check next to it.
Windows will give
you a prompt...hit OK..Do this for the second drive as well(If you dont
have a second
drive....GET ONE!!)
Expand the CDROMS
Select the "settings" tab and make sure Auto-Insert Notification is
unchecked. Do this
for all CDROMS and CDR/RW's(Restart)
Fifth: Optimize your Swap File:
Right click "My Computer"
Select "Properties"
Select the "Performance" tab
Press the "Virtual Memory" button
Depending on how much RAM you have is how you figure out what to set
the
Virtual
Memory to....As apposed to Windows 95 days the rule about making the
swap
file twice
the size of your memory is no longer needed...ever since FAT32 that has
all but gone
away. Nowadays you will need less...for example-128MB RAM is about
192Min
and Max
256MB RAM you should set to 128Min and Max. Obvioulsy it is not going
hurt your
system if you allocate more than your memory but it is not needed and
will
use your hard
drive more than you need it to.
Explanation of Virtual Memory....Windows allocates your entire hard
drive
as a means of shuffling
data back and forth from Memory as it is needed. When an application is
running threads of
information are put into memory(RAM) and processed..when that thread is
done and the next thread is ready windows uses the hard drive to
prepare
the thread then swaps it with the thread that has been used allready.
Depending on the software and the machine, the size of the threads
can get larger and smaller using any available space on your
drive....Fragmentation hell and it
also can cause your machine to crash/stall when it has to search the
entire drive for the next thread.
Thus making the swap file the same size for Minimum and Maximum you are
telling Windows to
use only a certain part of the drive and to use the fastest part of it
as
well...the outside track. Thus
windows has less of an area to find the next thread and continue on as
normal
**** VERY IMPORTANT***************
YOU MUST DEFRAG YOUR HARD DRIVE AFTER RESTARTING!!! DO NOT USE THE
see a Run Services folderbr
Hhighlite each item and delete each one and remove them allbr
Now...if you have done the MSCONFIG tweak in the startup tab you will
see two folders here...Run br
and Run-.....Delete the Run- folder and then continue as decribed above
on the NEW way ofbr
tweaking the startup..do the same with the Run Services- folder as well
/font
pfont size=3 color=#333333 face="Times New Roman"br
Fourth: Make sure DMA is ON for your Hard Drives and Auto-Insert
Notification is OFF for your CDROMSbr
Right click "My Computer"br
Select "Properties"br
Select the "Device Manager" tabbr
Expand(Press the + sign) Disk Drivesbr
Double click on the Drive you need to changebr
Select the "Settings" tab and make sure DMA has a check next to it.
Windows will give br
you a prompt...hit OK..Do this for the second drive as well(If you dont
have a second br
drive....GET ONE!!)br
Expand the CDROMSbr
Select the "settings" tab and make sure Auto-Insert Notification is
unchecked. Do this br
for all CDROMS and CDR/RW's(Restart) /font
pfont size=3 color=#333333 face="Times New Roman"Fifth: Optimize
your Swap File:br
Right click "My Computer"br
Select "Properties"br
Select the "Performance" tabbr
Press the "Virtual Memory" buttonbr
Depending on how much RAM you have is how you figure out what to set
the Virtualbr
Memory to....As apposed to Windows 95 days the rule about making the
swap file twicebr
the size of your memory is no longer needed...ever since FAT32 that has
all but gone br
away. Nowadays you will need less...for example-128MB RAM is about
192Min and Maxbr
256MB RAM you should set to 128Min and Max. Obvioulsy it is not going
to hurt yourbr
system if you allocate more than your memory but it is not needed and
will use your hardbr
drive more than you need it to. /font
pfont size=3 color=#333333 face="Times New Roman"Explanation of
Virtual Memory....Windows
allocates your entire hard drive as a means of shufflingbr
data back and forth from Memory as it is needed. When an application is
running threads of br
information are put into memory(RAM) and processed..when that thread is
done and the next thread is
ready windows uses the hard drive to prepare the thread then swaps it
with the thread that has been
used allready. Depending on the software and the machine, the size of
the threads br
can get larger and smaller using any available space on your
drive....Fragmentation hell and itbr
also can cause your machine to crash/stall when it has to search the
entire drive for the next
thread.br
Thus making the swap file the same size for Minimum and Maximum you are
telling Windows tobr
use only a certain part of the drive and to use the fastest part of it
as well...the outside track.
Thusbr
windows has less of an area to find the next thread and continue on as
normal /font
pfont size=3 color=#333333 face="Times New Roman"**** VERY
IMPORTANT***************br
YOU MUST DEFRAG YOUR HARD DRIVE AFTER RESTARTING!!! DO NOT USE THE br
WINDOWS DEFRAGGER..IT DOES NOT OPTIMIZE YOUR SWAP FILE...IT LEAVES THE
br
CURRENT STATE IN TACT....USE NORTON'S TO DEFRAG AND MAKE SURE YOU br
TELL IT TO OPTIMIZE THE SWAP FILE!!! THIS CAN BE FOUND USUALLY IN THE
br
ADVANCED SECTION OF THE PROGRAMbr
***********************************br
br
Sixth: Lower your Bit Depth rate for your Display settings:br
Right click on your desktop and select "Properties"br
This will bring you to your Display Properties windowbr
Select the "Settings" tabbr
Change the "Color" settings to 16Bit...32Bit will eat up your
performancebr
Screen resolution is of your choice...I prefer 1024x768...larger screen
areabr
Not always is it best to go out and get the most "RAM" intensive video
card.br
Staying with a 16MB video(AGP of course) is a fine standard to be
at.br
Try and stay away from PCI video cards..puts a strain on your PCI bus!
/font
pfont size=3 color=#333333 face="Times New Roman"Seven: Power
Schemes:br
Right click on your desktop and select "Properties"br
This will bring you to your Display Properties windowbr
Select the "Screen Saver" tabbr
Set Screen Saver to NONEbr
Press the "Settings" button in the Energy Saver areabr
For Power Schemes choose Home/Office Deskbr
Set System Standby to NEVERbr
Turn off monitor to NEVERbr
Turn off Hard Disks to NEVERbr
br
Eight: Multimedia Settings:br
Make sure windows doesnt use your sound card to "Map" thru itbr
Go to your Start menuSettingsControl Panelbr
Double click on Multimediabr
Select the "devices" tabbr
Expand the Audio Devices itembr
Double click on the audio card/device in questionbr
Check the box that says "Do not map thru this device" br
Press Apply(Restart) /font
pfont size=3 color=#333333 face="Times New Roman"Nine: Stop the
Scheduled Tasks from runningbr
Go to your Start menuAccessoriesSystem ToolsScheduled Tasksbr
Double click on "Tune-up Application Start"br
At the bottom of the screen deselect "Enabled" /font
pfont size=3 color=#333333 face="Times New Roman"Ten: Network
Settings:br
If you are connected to the internet via your PC DAW via a modem/DSL
but are NOT br
using File Sharing remove Client For Microsoft Networksbr
Go to your Start menuSettingsControl Panelbr
Double click on NetworkHighlite "Client for Microsoft Networksbr
Press "Remove"br
When you close out of the Network box it will tell you your network is
not complete and br
do you want to continue...say YES!!(Restart) /font
pfont size=3 color=#333333 face="Times New Roman"Eleven: More
System Configurationbr
These steps arent neccessary but reccomendedbr
In your Start Menu you will go to RUNbr
Type in MSCONFIG and press OKbr
Select the "Config.sys" tabbr
Deselect everythingbr
Select the "Autoexec.bat" tabbr
Deselect everythingbr
Press Apply..Press OK(Restart) /font
pfont size=3 color=#333333 face="Times New Roman"As far as "tweak"
settings are
concerned this should do it. Obviously there are system requirements
too but this a known issue and
all should be aware that a PII 400 is the minumum reccomended
processor. 128MB RAM minimum(256
Reccomended) AGP Video card...No internet...Constantly making sure your
hard drive(s) are
optimized(defragged) and also not installing every software known to
man(which can corrupt the
registry) As far as "Physical" building of a system one should not put
two hard drives on
one IDE cable..this will cause bus speeds to be bogged down.
Partitioning a single hard drive does
not make it two drives...it only "emulates" a second drive..there is
still one mechanical
arm reading the two parts of one drive...this can cause skips or
possible stutters. I reccomend
using your main drive for ALL applications and the secondary drive for
ALL data...audio
files..program information..etc !

reddred

wrote in message
oups.com...
After doing most of my serious recording using a stand-alone recorder
(HD-24) I have been doing more & more on my 1.6 Pentium M laptop using
Cubase SX. Just got some new plug-ins and was doing some multi-track
mixing, adding FX to some BGVs and hit the wall. Everything started
skipping and clicking. Tried tome buffer adjustments to no avail. then
removed the last 3 verb assignments and everything started working OK
again.

Thoughts?

Process a track or a group of tracks through an effect, making a new track.
Make that new track a part of your mix. Move on.

jb

[...]

I have read the posts about tweaking my PC, much of which I have
already done, and it seems like I will probably have more headroom
using all ouboard gear with the stand-alone unit and my DM-24 or Spirit
Studio analog board. The problem is my editing is a little more limited
in this situation and the Alesis does not have undo functions in record
mode. Although I am willing to make some compromises, I know that the
big studio units don't have to cut corners or use work-arounds in
ProTools or Nuendo or the like. Is this just because of processing
power? I love the ease of having everything, including the automation,
in one location but I also love to be able to apply different effects
without being chained to one reverb for the whole project. I want to be
sure that I have the headroom, processor-wise, to get a lot of stuff
going before I absolutely depend on the computer to do everything,
especially in front of a client.

Have any of you used outboard DSP units like the TC Electronics? I do
have Firewire and USB 2 options.

Is it, after all, about having a kick-ass computer or will the outboard
DSP unit do the deed?

peakester

Lorin David Schultz

I know that the big studio units don't have to cut corners or use
work-arounds in ProTools or Nuendo or the like. Is this just because
of processing power?

In the case of Pro Tools, you can choose between two system approaches:
LE, which uses the computer's processing power (i.e. "native"), or TDM,
which just uses the computer as a host and does the audio processing
with dedicated, proprietary DSP cards. With TDM, you can increase
processing power by adding DSP cards.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good