Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default mixed speaker set up

Hi,
I've recently been given 5 speakers from a home theatre set.
1 - Centre 220W @ 8ohm (music) 110W @ 8ohm (din)
2 - front towers 240W @ 8ohm (music) 110W @ 8ohm (din)
2 - surround rears 110W @ 4ohm (music) 55w @ 4ohm (din)

Was wondering if anyone knew why there are two ratings, one for music
and one for din? i've never seen this on speakers. Secondly, will a
receiver rated for 110W @ 8ohms all around be okay to use on this? I'm
looking at the yamaha 5830. I'm assuming yes since the 4ohms is less
resistance and shouldnt overheat the receiver.

Any help would be appreciated.

jason

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I've recently been given 5 speakers from a home theatre set.
1 - Centre 220W @ 8ohm (music) 110W @ 8ohm (din)
2 - front towers 240W @ 8ohm (music) 110W @ 8ohm (din)
2 - surround rears 110W @ 4ohm (music) 55w @ 4ohm (din)

Was wondering if anyone knew why there are two ratings, one for music
and one for din?

There are actually two or more systems for rating audio power. One is
called, I think, IHF Music Power and the other is apparently DIN (Deutsche
Industrie-Norm = German Industry Standard). That's what they refer to.
(Sorry, my knowledge of these is not up to date.)

i've never seen this on speakers. Secondly, will a
receiver rated for 110W @ 8ohms all around be okay to use on this? I'm
looking at the yamaha 5830. I'm assuming yes since the 4ohms is less
resistance and shouldnt overheat the receiver.

4 ohms is less RESISTANCE and draws MORE current. Check whether the
amplifier can drive 4-ohm speakers. If not, do not use them. Most
amplifiers will drive speakers with a resistance of 4 ohms and up. Some are
only for 8 ohms and up. This should be marked on the back of the amplifier.

As long as you don't turn the volume all the way up, everything should work
fine. It is common for the wattage of the amplifier to be different from
that of the speakers, either higher or lower. The power actually coming out
of the amplifier is far less than its rated wattage almost all the time.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , "mc" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I think most home theater receivers, are not recommended for less than 6 ohms.
Just a technical spec to cover their ass.

greg

As long as you don't turn the volume all the way up, everything should work
fine. It is common for the wattage of the amplifier to be different from
that of the speakers, either higher or lower. The power actually coming out
of the amplifier is far less than its rated wattage almost all the time.

Probably.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen

GregS wrote:

I think most home theater receivers, are not recommended for less than 6 ohms.
Just a technical spec to cover their ass.

Look also for the wording "two channels driven", it is likely to be
somewhere in the small print adjacent to the power specs. It is not as
fraudulous as it may seem, because film sound will rarely ever use max
power in more than two fhannels at a time, so by aiming for that they
get maximum actual playback SPL for the component cost.

greg

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Peter Larsen

wrote:

Hi,

I've recently been given 5 speakers from a home theatre set.
1 - Centre 220W @ 8ohm (music) 110W @ 8ohm (din)
2 - front towers 240W @ 8ohm (music) 110W @ 8ohm (din)
2 - surround rears 110W @ 4ohm (music) 55w @ 4ohm (din)

The amount of power they are able to dissipate as heat of course says
nothing about how much sound they produce.

Was wondering if anyone knew why there are two ratings, one for music
and one for din? i've never seen this on speakers.

Peak load for an unspecified short time and constant load, DIN comes
with some spectral asumption, dunno which, and could come with also a
crest rate asumption, the number of the standard to look up should be
mentioned when the spec is used.

Secondly, will a receiver rated for 110W @ 8ohms all around be
okay to use on this?

Yes.

I'm looking at the yamaha 5830.

Skipped googling for info on it ...

I'm assuming yes since the 4ohms is less
resistance and shouldnt overheat the receiver.

Less impedance requires more current, more current requires more work,
making voltage is easy, making amperage is not. This is not an issue in
the context because rear channel sound volume is likely to be low
overall, but perhaps supplemented by the LFE (sub) channel for
impressiveness during effects.

Any help would be appreciated.

Plug up, play, enjoy. Remember to give yourself time to get it
calibrated, read the manual that comes with the receiver, also about how
to place the loudspeakers.

jason

Kind regards & Seasons Greetings

Peter Larsen