Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default One stereo channel intermittent

Hello,

I have an old hifi connected to the Line Out of my computer. I've had
the same problem with two different motherboards, and wonder if anyone
else has had a similar experience and can help. After a few minutes,
the left channel becomes very faint and distorted. Unplugging the
stereo jack from the computer and plugging it back in is the only way
to make it come back. Does the unplugging action do something to jolt
the bad channel back to life? Is my hifi damaged?

Thanks,
Jack

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have an old hifi connected to the Line Out of my computer. I've had
the same problem with two different motherboards, and wonder if anyone
else has had a similar experience and can help. After a few minutes,
the left channel becomes very faint and distorted. Unplugging the
stereo jack from the computer and plugging it back in is the only way
to make it come back. Does the unplugging action do something to jolt
the bad channel back to life? Is my hifi damaged?

Thanks,
Jack

sometimes this is an oxidized switch contact... like maybe a dubbing switch
or a pre out / line in switch. try spray cleaning the contacts with
something like de-oxit and/or working the switches on and off.

of course the problem could lie elsewhere, but try the cheap and easy fixes
first. (also try reversing cables left to right to see if the problem moves
or not.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
Hello,

I have an old hifi connected to the Line Out of my
computer. I've had the same problem with two different
motherboards, and wonder if anyone else has had a similar
experience and can help. After a few minutes, the left
channel becomes very faint and distorted. Unplugging the
stereo jack from the computer and plugging it back in is
the only way to make it come back. Does the unplugging
action do something to jolt the bad channel back to life?

It can.

Is my hifi damaged?

Since the problem appeared with two different sources, it is probably due to
either your wiring or the old hi fi.

There's a problem where a connection or switch contact becomes covered with
an insulating film of corrosion that plugging and unplugging temporarily
"punches-through". The failed contact or connection may be different from
the one that you are plugging and unplugging.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default One stereo channel intermittent - SOLVED

TimPerry wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the advice: I tried first with malt vinegar, but that didn't
work. Then I tried with gin, and it has been going fine ever since.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
TimPerry

wrote in message
ups.com...

TimPerry wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

i have used denatured alcohol for cleaning electronics and tape heads but if
a potable beverage does the trick i guess we all will have to gin and bear
it