Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.tech
Andy & Kim

Default Professional MP3/WAV/AIFF players - do they exist?

"Colin MacDougall" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi everyone,

Bit of advice if such a thing is available but currently I am on the
lookout
for a professional type solid state player that can play either MP3 or WAV
or AIFF or all three. I'm involved with a theatre group and at the moment
we use a high end MiniDisc player to provide music and sound effects for
the shows. Our particular MiniDisc player is quite old now and has
recently
become a bit erratic - hence the need to replace it.

Ideally I would be looking for something that will fit in a 19" rack and
have a
big clear display and big chunky buttons and switches; when we're running
show the sound desk is dimly lit so the little fiddly ipod and other such
players
would be no use. We'd like to transfer the music in to the device using
something
like a USB memory stick or one of the many memory card formats that are
now available.

We've sometime use a CD player but the MiniDisc seems quicker at cueing so
any solid state replacement would have to be just as quick.

Do any manufacturers make such a thing? - I've Googled for one, but
without
success.

TIA, Colin

Hello mate, I use a Denon DN-D4500 that plays Wav/MP3's at the club I work
at. It seems to have all the things you want.
http://www.denondj.com/prodview_item.asp?pid=55&cid=1

Andy

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.tech
Colin MacDougall

Hi everyone,

Bit of advice if such a thing is available but currently I am on the lookout
for a professional type solid state player that can play either MP3 or WAV
or AIFF or all three. I'm involved with a theatre group and at the moment
we use a high end MiniDisc player to provide music and sound effects for
the shows. Our particular MiniDisc player is quite old now and has recently
become a bit erratic - hence the need to replace it.

Ideally I would be looking for something that will fit in a 19" rack and
have a
big clear display and big chunky buttons and switches; when we're running a
show the sound desk is dimly lit so the little fiddly ipod and other such
players
would be no use. We'd like to transfer the music in to the device using
something
like a USB memory stick or one of the many memory card formats that are
now available.

We've sometime use a CD player but the MiniDisc seems quicker at cueing so
any solid state replacement would have to be just as quick.

Do any manufacturers make such a thing? - I've Googled for one, but without
success.

TIA, Colin

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.tech
Phildo

"Andy & Kim" wrote in message
Hello mate, I use a Denon DN-D4500 that plays Wav/MP3's at the club I work
at. It seems to have all the things you want.
http://www.denondj.com/prodview_item.asp?pid=55&cid=1

OP is after a solid state device. I've never seen one (although I have seen
rackmounted mpeg players that may do it - I'll let Tim Scott fill you in on
that one) but never a solid state MP3 player. You are probably better off
sticking with minidisc, getting an IPOD type thingy or using a laptop.

Phildo

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.tech
Rolo Tomassi

Colin MacDougall wrote:
Hi everyone,

Bit of advice if such a thing is available but currently I am on the
lookout for a professional type solid state player that can play
either MP3 or WAV or AIFF or all three. I'm involved with a theatre
group and at the moment we use a high end MiniDisc player to provide
music and sound effects for the shows. Our particular MiniDisc player
is quite old now and has recently become a bit erratic - hence the
need to replace it.
Ideally I would be looking for something that will fit in a 19" rack
and have a
big clear display and big chunky buttons and switches; when we're
running a show the sound desk is dimly lit so the little fiddly ipod
and other such players
would be no use. We'd like to transfer the music in to the device
using something
like a USB memory stick or one of the many memory card formats that
are now available.

We've sometime use a CD player but the MiniDisc seems quicker at
cueing so any solid state replacement would have to be just as quick.

Do any manufacturers make such a thing? - I've Googled for one, but
without success.

TIA, Colin

marantz make a whole range - record to MP3 etc and uses Compact Flash
Cards/Microdrives.
http://tinyurl.com/8lcw4 amongst others

HTH

Rolo

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.tech
Tim Scott

"Phildo" wrote in message

"Andy & Kim" wrote in message
Hello mate, I use a Denon DN-D4500 that plays Wav/MP3's at the club I
work at. It seems to have all the things you want.
http://www.denondj.com/prodview_item.asp?pid=55&cid=1

OP is after a solid state device. I've never seen one (although I have
seen rackmounted mpeg players that may do it - I'll let Tim Scott fill you
in on that one) but never a solid state MP3 player. You are probably
better off sticking with minidisc, getting an IPOD type thingy or using a
laptop.

I have two mpeg 4 video players - not really what you are wanting though.
You can get DVD (home/hifi) players that have memory card slots, that will
do what you want - most hifi units are 19" and fit nicely into a 2U rack
tray kit.

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.tech
Bob Urz

Tim Scott wrote:
"Phildo" wrote in message

"Andy & Kim" wrote in message

Hello mate, I use a Denon DN-D4500 that plays Wav/MP3's at the club I
work at. It seems to have all the things you want.
http://www.denondj.com/prodview_item.asp?pid=55&cid=1

OP is after a solid state device. I've never seen one (although I have
seen rackmounted mpeg players that may do it - I'll let Tim Scott fill you
in on that one) but never a solid state MP3 player. You are probably
better off sticking with minidisc, getting an IPOD type thingy or using a
laptop.

I have two mpeg 4 video players - not really what you are wanting though.
You can get DVD (home/hifi) players that have memory card slots, that will
do what you want - most hifi units are 19" and fit nicely into a 2U rack
tray kit.

Marantz makes a series of them.

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.a...8&SubCatID=169

http://www.easternelectronics.co.uk/pmd660.htm

Bob

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.tech
Marc Amsterdam

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:28:56 -0000, "Phildo" wrote:

"Andy & Kim" wrote in message
Hello mate, I use a Denon DN-D4500 that plays Wav/MP3's at the club I work
at. It seems to have all the things you want.
http://www.denondj.com/prodview_item.asp?pid=55&cid=1

OP is after a solid state device. I've never seen one (although I have seen
rackmounted mpeg players that may do it - I'll let Tim Scott fill you in on
that one) but never a solid state MP3 player. You are probably better off
sticking with minidisc, getting an IPOD type thingy or using a laptop.

Phildo

marantz PMD660, portable and Marantz PMD570 19"
Flashcard Recorder, rs232 control,GDI control usb upload, MP3, wav,
balanced line in, spdif in/out, and it runs 8 hours on a relative
cheap compact flash card

yes they are great! ( and expensive)

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.tech
Splat

Colin MacDougall wrote:
Ideally I would be looking for something that will fit in a 19" rack
and have a
big clear display and big chunky buttons and switches; when we're
running a show the sound desk is dimly lit so the little fiddly ipod
and other such players
would be no use. We'd like to transfer the music in to the device
using something
like a USB memory stick or one of the many memory card formats that
are
now available.

Just get a cheap laptop. If you need more light for the keyboard just get a
USB-powered light-on-a-gooseneck. You can rackmount a laptop with kits
available on the web.
--
Splat

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.tech
Rv!

Just get a cheap laptop. If you need more light for the keyboard just get a
USB-powered light-on-a-gooseneck. You can rackmount a laptop with kits
available on the web.

If using a laptop, I can suggest using Jazler Show available here...
http://www.jazler.com/demo/

We use if for jingles and adverts on our local community radio station. It's stable
and easy to set up.

Rv!

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.tech
Adair Winter

"Rolo Tomassi" wrote in message
marantz make a whole range - record to MP3 etc and uses Compact Flash
Cards/Microdrives.
http://tinyurl.com/8lcw4 amongst others

HTH

Rolo

We use a couple of these at my church to record with, never actually used it
for play back but I suppect it would work fine.. nice unit.
http://www.aandcaudio.co.uk/Marantz-...der-pid941.htm

Adair