Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] braceup@yahoo.com is offline

Default How To Clean Speaker Protection Relays

I have an Onkyo 696 Dolby Digital Receiver (about 5 years old) that
has intermittent volume problems with the left rear surround speaker
and occasionally the right front. I can get the sound back if, when
I'm doing the tone test and there is no sound coming out of the
speaker, I jack up the volume on the speaker the sound will generally
come back. I've opened the receiver up since it's out of warranty,
and have located thespeaker protection relays but am not sure how to
remove the rectangular plastic cap to access for cleaning. I bought
DeOxit for the job and would like to get on with it, but would love
some advice on how to take care of this problem- how to remove the
plastic caps and how to do the cleaning. I've done a little research
and I believe that is where the problem is, but I could be wrong.
Thanks for any help.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Michael L. Squires Michael L. Squires is offline

In article ,
Don Pearce wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 17:22:32 GMT, wrote:

First be sure that you have actually located the problem. Temporarily
put a short across the contacts to the relay - I presume they emerge
onto a PC board; just solder a short length of wire across. If the
problem ceases, then the relay is at fault, if not, you need to look
elsewhere.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

In the past I've used a diamond-covered file to polish the contacts; this
was before DeOXit. This was never a permanent solution and I eventually
wound up looking for replacements.

The plastic cover can usually be removed by removing a metal clip, or by
using a small screwdriver to pry off the cover.

How long ago - I learned this trick keeping the 6V lights on my '56 Norton
motorcycle going.

I got the file at a large electronics supply store.

Mike Squires

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

wrote in message
I have an Onkyo 696 Dolby Digital Receiver (about 5 years old) that
has intermittent volume problems with the left rear surround speaker
and occasionally the right front. I can get the sound back if, when
I'm doing the tone test and there is no sound coming out of the
speaker, I jack up the volume on the speaker the sound will generally
come back. I've opened the receiver up since it's out of warranty,
and have located thespeaker protection relays but am not sure how to
remove the rectangular plastic cap to access for cleaning. I bought
DeOxit for the job and would like to get on with it, but would love
some advice on how to take care of this problem- how to remove the
plastic caps and how to do the cleaning. I've done a little research
and I believe that is where the problem is, but I could be wrong.
Thanks for any help.

Replacements from Onkyo are reasonably priced. The best solution is to
replace the relay(s).

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:29:30 GMT, (G) wrote:

I have an Onkyo 696 Dolby Digital Receiver (about 5 years old) that
has intermittent volume problems with the left rear surround speaker
and occasionally the right front. I can get the sound back if, when
I'm doing the tone test and there is no sound coming out of the
speaker, I jack up the volume on the speaker the sound will generally
come back. I've opened the receiver up since it's out of warranty,
and have located thespeaker protection relays but am not sure how to
remove the rectangular plastic cap to access for cleaning. I bought
DeOxit for the job and would like to get on with it, but would love
some advice on how to take care of this problem- how to remove the
plastic caps and how to do the cleaning. I've done a little research
and I believe that is where the problem is, but I could be wrong.
Thanks for any help.

I most usually get some small screwdrivers and try to lift, at the same time
tring to pull the sides out. Sometimes the agression messes things up
a bit. Sometimes I cut the top off with a tool or drill into it. A few swipes
with 600 or greater sandpaper works nice, and a little lube to keep them
going. Sometimes I have switch the relays from main to second channel.

greg

I was thinking about cutting the plastic covers off. What good are
they if the relays still become problematic even with the covers on?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
g g is offline

In article , wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:29:30 GMT,
(G) wrote:

[...]

If they are clear its very easy to drill a small hole so the red nozzle
fits in or just spray into the hole with something like Cramolin or Deoxit, or
Blue-Stuff.

greg

Thermal relays Info needed John Frake Vacuum Tubes 4 October 17th 06 01:29 AM
Connecting multiple components & relays Keith Murphy Car Audio 1 September 7th 04 02:51 PM
need Relays RBPerrine Vacuum Tubes 3 February 26th 04 01:23 PM
Relays and Adding AUX input jack Sketchy Car Audio 5 February 5th 04 10:32 PM
speaker protection Johan Wagener Car Audio 114 November 10th 03 05:39 PM