Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.audio.misc
Dan Hinsley Dan Hinsley is offline

Default Headphone impedance mismatch

I've got a multi-track recorder whose output impedance is 30 Ohms, and
I can't find any headphones with that type of impedance. Using normal
(8 ohm) headphones really makes the sound crappy. Is there a way I
can match the 8 ohm impedance of a set of headphones to the output
impedance of this device? If not (or if that's going to be hard) is
there some other solution?

If you could send me email at , that would be great
because it's easy to miss a post.

Thanks,

Dan
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.audio.misc
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Dan Hinsley writes:

I've got a multi-track recorder whose output impedance is 30 Ohms, and
I can't find any headphones with that type of impedance. Using normal
(8 ohm) headphones really makes the sound crappy. Is there a way I
can match the 8 ohm impedance of a set of headphones to the output
impedance of this device? If not (or if that's going to be hard) is
there some other solution?

If you could send me email at , that would be great
because it's easy to miss a post.

Could just get an external headphone amp. Behringer sells one for a
song with 4 output no less.

/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / |
http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | http://myspace.com/mytriplethreatband
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.audio.misc
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

--

I would think Sennheiser or AKG phones would work - my old AKG K-240's were
30 ohms, my old Sennheiser HD-440's were 600 ohms. Models like this should

Mark Z.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.audio.misc
Engineer Engineer is offline

Location: Thornhill, Ontario

On Mar 3, 8:10 am, "Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:
Todd H. wrote:
Dan Hinsley writes:

I've got a multi-track recorder whose output impedance is 30 Ohms,
and I can't find any headphones with that type of impedance. Using
normal (8 ohm) headphones really makes the sound crappy. Is there a
way I can match the 8 ohm impedance of a set of headphones to the
output impedance of this device? If not (or if that's going to be
hard) is there some other solution?

If you could send me email at , that would be great
because it's easy to miss a post.

Could just get an external headphone amp. Behringer sells one for a
song with 4 output no less.

--

I would think Sennheiser or AKG phones would work - my old AKG K-240's were
30 ohms, my old Sennheiser HD-440's were 600 ohms. Models like this should
be compatible.

Mark Z.- Hide quoted text -

I suggest 8 ohms is not normal for Hi-Fi headphones. My Sennheiser
HD-570's have a DCR of abut 70 ohms (I've not checked the nominal AC
impedance as I've mislaid my specs file!)
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.audio.misc
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Dan Hinsley" wrote in message

I've got a multi-track recorder whose output impedance is
30 Ohms, and I can't find any headphones with that type
of impedance.

Probably any phones with impedance of 16 ohms or greater will work fine.

Headphones with impedances of 30 ohms and up are readily available. The
first that come to mind are Sennheiser HD 580s, which have impedance in
excess of 200 ohms.

Using normal (8 ohm) headphones really
makes the sound crappy.

Crappy in what way?

Is there a way I can match the 8
ohm impedance of a set of headphones to the output
impedance of this device? If not (or if that's going to
be hard) is there some other solution?

Yes, there are all kinds of headphone amps that you can buy, starting with
the Boostaroo at about $20. There are a ton of headphone amps intended for
studio use, starting around $30 and up.