Posted to rec.audio.misc
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios Tzortzakakis Dimitrios is offline

Default Some strange virus on audio cds...

Some friend of mine recorded me on cds some (rather) rare 80's music on
cds.(Don't think I'm pirating, this music is impossible to find in shops-we
are talking about Laura Braningan etc.).I discovered that when I put one
specific cd in my computer's DVD ROM drive my computer will hang/reboot,
which is very unusual, since in 3 years of everyday hours long operation I
have no blue screens or anything.And furthermore, when the cd is in the
drive, the (virus?) will disable it, so that you can't eject the cd.Until I
used a pin in the drive's little hole, to manualy forcefully eject it, the
computer didn't come back.The computer's now on for 35 mins. and so far no
problems, thank god.I also scanned the registry and msconfig and
c:\programms and AFAIK there are no malicious entries...So, play only
original cds in your computer and when in doubt use some cd player, they are
immune to viruses.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" wrote in
message
Some friend of mine recorded me on cds some (rather) rare
80's music on cds.(Don't think I'm pirating, this music
is impossible to find in shops-we are talking about Laura
Braningan etc.).I discovered that when I put one specific
cd in my computer's DVD ROM drive my computer will
hang/reboot, which is very unusual, since in 3 years of
everyday hours long operation I have no blue screens or
anything.

The CD and/or the drive is marginal.

The drive might be slowly degrading, as this is a pretty severe response to
an iffy CD

And furthermore, when the cd is in the drive,
the (virus?) will disable it, so that you can't eject the
cd.

The drive is locking up internally when it tries to read the disc. Yes, its
probably on its way out the door.

Until I used a pin in the drive's little hole, to
manualy forcefully eject it, the computer didn't come
back.

The drive is probably a sick puppy.

The computer's now on for 35 mins. and so far no
problems, thank god.I also scanned the registry and
msconfig and c:\programms and AFAIK there are no
malicious entries...

Shouldn't be any, because this was a pure hardware fault.

So, play only original cds in your
computer and when in doubt use some cd player, they are
immune to viruses.

You're over reacting.