Posted to rec.audio.misc
James Egan James Egan is offline

Default Looking for advice on speakers for TV

I'll be getting an HDTV in the next month or two. I'm
leaning towards the 61" Samsung DLP set. Since I'm already
going to have an XBox 360 and other equipment connected, I'd
like to avoid getting a home theater system, and just get
two decent sounding amplified speakers. I read that you
need to connect an amplifier to the audio out of the TV,
and can't simply connect regular speakers. Can someone
please recommend some decent amplified speakers for this?

-Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Murray Peterson Murray Peterson is offline

James Egan wrote in
:

I'll be getting an HDTV in the next month or two. I'm
leaning towards the 61" Samsung DLP set. Since I'm already
going to have an XBox 360 and other equipment connected, I'd
like to avoid getting a home theater system, and just get
two decent sounding amplified speakers.

I am not sure why an Xbox (or other equipment) would preclude home theater
equipment.

I read that you
need to connect an amplifier to the audio out of the TV,
and can't simply connect regular speakers. Can someone
please recommend some decent amplified speakers for this?

If you are worried about size and complexity, why not try this:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/idx_ysp1000.htm
Posted to rec.audio.misc
GregS GregS is offline

In article , Murray Peterson wrote:
James Egan wrote in
m:

I'll be getting an HDTV in the next month or two. I'm
leaning towards the 61" Samsung DLP set. Since I'm already
going to have an XBox 360 and other equipment connected, I'd
like to avoid getting a home theater system, and just get
two decent sounding amplified speakers.

I am not sure why an Xbox (or other equipment) would preclude home theater
equipment.

I read that you
need to connect an amplifier to the audio out of the TV,
and can't simply connect regular speakers. Can someone
please recommend some decent amplified speakers for this?

If you are worried about size and complexity, why not try this:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/idx_ysp1000.htm

Seems to me, the "center channel mode is simply called the target mode, and
thats all you get when you select target!! ??

Most good amplified speakers come in the form of monitors, with reduced bass.
There may be something available, but why limit youself on a powered speaker.
Maybe you just mean halfway decent, like in the form of "computer" speakers ??

greg
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Murray Peterson Murray Peterson is offline

(GregS) wrote in
:

In article , Murray Peterson
wrote:
If you are worried about size and complexity, why not try this:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/YSP1/idx_ysp1000.htm

Seems to me, the "center channel mode is simply called the target
mode, and thats all you get when you select target!! ??

Not sure what you mean here. Go for a demo of the unit if you have doubts;
I found it quite surprising to get sounds from the rear with no speakers
back there.

Most good amplified speakers come in the form of monitors, with
reduced bass. There may be something available, but why limit youself
on a powered speaker. Maybe you just mean halfway decent, like in the
form of "computer" speakers ??

My experience with those hasn't been good. Calling the sound "poor" is
being complimentary to most of them.
Posted to rec.audio.misc
bassett bassett is offline

Good quality self powered speakers, those which contain ther own
amplification, and are known as "Active" speakers, can cost many
thousands of dollars,
You might need to put the house in hock, or sell a couple of kids..
Makes that come to mind are Martin Logan and Bang and Olufsen's
Beolab 5 at $30.000 a pair.

But to be realistic, go to a dedecated Hi-Fi store, where you can
discuss your requirements, and audition what's available in your price
range. Keep right away from the local department store, where the
salesman will be selling washing machines next week.

And to the fool, that wrote this crap,, mate, take a powder.
Quote,,,,
Most good amplified speakers come in the form of monitors, with
reduced bass. There may be something available, but why limit youself
on a powered speaker. Maybe you just mean halfway decent, like in the
form of "computer" speakers ??

bassett

Posted to rec.audio.misc
eric eric is offline

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:00:54 -0500, James Egan wrote:

I'll be getting an HDTV in the next month or two. I'm
leaning towards the 61" Samsung DLP set. Since I'm already
going to have an XBox 360 and other equipment connected, I'd
like to avoid getting a home theater system, and just get
two decent sounding amplified speakers. I read that you
need to connect an amplifier to the audio out of the TV,
and can't simply connect regular speakers. Can someone
please recommend some decent amplified speakers for this?

I am not sure what your price range is, but for active speakers I'd
suggest looking at some pro gear. Mackie in particular has a good
reputation.

Personally I wouldn't do what you are suggesting, but maybe you are just
not ready for surround sound, sub-woofers etc.