Posted to rec.audio.pro
XLRmixer XLRmixer is offline

Default Best small mixer with 8 XLR inputs?

I have a Yamaha TX816 synth that has 8 XLR audio outputs, and would
like to record it into my computer-based sequencer, Cubase SX3. Am
using a WinXP system with an SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card.

I just need a small, hopefully inexpensive mixer that can mix those
eight XLR inputs together and then feed it into my computer's sound
card.

What is the bext mixer for the least money that has 8 XLR inputs?

All suggestions will be appreciated.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
George's Pro Sound Co. George's Pro Sound Co. is offline

"XLRmixer" wrote in message
I have a Yamaha TX816 synth that has 8 XLR audio outputs, and would
like to record it into my computer-based sequencer, Cubase SX3. Am
using a WinXP system with an SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card.

I just need a small, hopefully inexpensive mixer that can mix those
eight XLR inputs together and then feed it into my computer's sound
card.

What is the bext mixer for the least money that has 8 XLR inputs?

All suggestions will be appreciated.

I've owned them all and hands down at around 250$ IMO the soundcraft epm is
the winner
George

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

XLRmixer wrote:
I have a Yamaha TX816 synth that has 8 XLR audio outputs, and would
like to record it into my computer-based sequencer, Cubase SX3. Am
using a WinXP system with an SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card.

I just need a small, hopefully inexpensive mixer that can mix those
eight XLR inputs together and then feed it into my computer's sound
card.

What is the bext mixer for the least money that has 8 XLR inputs?

All suggestions will be appreciated.

You can't do the mixing inside the synth itself?

If you absolutely have to, I'd consider digitizing everything seperately
and recording them with an 8-track card.

Otherwise I'd suggest something like the ARX line mixer. Eight balanced
line inputs (on TRS not XLR plugs but that doesn't matter), eight pan
controls. Something like $450 US, I think. Not a lot of crap in the
signal path, but it has pans.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
XLRmixer wrote:
I have a Yamaha TX816 synth that has 8 XLR audio outputs, and would
like to record it into my computer-based sequencer, Cubase SX3. Am
using a WinXP system with an SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card.

I just need a small, hopefully inexpensive mixer that can mix those
eight XLR inputs together and then feed it into my computer's sound
card.

What is the bext mixer for the least money that has 8 XLR inputs?

All suggestions will be appreciated.

You can't do the mixing inside the synth itself?

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/_inc...fm?synthid=723

"Eight totally independent DX7's in a rack."

If you absolutely have to, I'd consider digitizing everything seperately
and recording them with an 8-track card.

Otherwise I'd suggest something like the ARX line mixer. Eight balanced
line inputs (on TRS not XLR plugs but that doesn't matter), eight pan
controls. Something like $450 US, I think. Not a lot of crap in the
signal path, but it has pans.

Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
XLRmixer wrote:
I have a Yamaha TX816 synth that has 8 XLR audio outputs, and would
like to record it into my computer-based sequencer, Cubase SX3. Am
using a WinXP system with an SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card.

I just need a small, hopefully inexpensive mixer that can mix those
eight XLR inputs together and then feed it into my computer's sound
card.

What is the bext mixer for the least money that has 8 XLR inputs?

All suggestions will be appreciated.

You can't do the mixing inside the synth itself?

No - it is 8 separate cards with independant audio outs, only.

I suggested in other newsgroup, something like a Phonic mixer with 8 inoputs
including A-D over Firewire, and yes, mixing (and FXing) in Cubase.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 18:12:41 -0700, XLRmixer wrote:

I have a Yamaha TX816 synth that has 8 XLR audio outputs, and would
like to record it into my computer-based sequencer, Cubase SX3. Am
using a WinXP system with an SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card.

I just need a small, hopefully inexpensive mixer that can mix those
eight XLR inputs together and then feed it into my computer's sound
card.

What is the bext mixer for the least money that has 8 XLR inputs?

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Despite using XLR fittings, I think the outputs are Line level - check
with your manual. The XLR inputs on small mixers have mic preamps
behind them, unnecessary in this case. I think the first thing you
need is a set of XLR 1/4" jack plug cables.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

XLRmixer wrote:
I have a Yamaha TX816 synth that has 8 XLR audio outputs

I just need a small, hopefully inexpensive mixer that can mix those
eight XLR inputs together and then feed it into my computer's sound
card.

Don't think that just because your synth has XLR connectors means that
you can only connect them to inputs with XLR connectors. You may "want"
to do this, but it's not necessary, and it restricts your choices. Very few
mixers (practically none of them inexpensive) have XLR line level inputs.

There's a whole world of mixers out there, and a whole world of adapters and
"mixed" cables (XLR on one end, 1/4" phone plug on the other) that will
allow
you to connect your synth to a wide range of mixers. Given the age of your
synth and the fact that you'll probably be buying a new mixer, you needn't
worry about not having sufficient headroom on the mixer inputs, nor mixing
balanced and unbalanced connections.

Everyone has his favorite, which will be his recommendation. But it's really
not all that critical. Behringer makes about the cheapest mixers, and
you can
find one with enough inputs for very little money. Just get the cables
that fit
the holes on both ends. They'll likely cost more than the mixer. It's OK.

But doesn't the TX816 have an internal mixer? I know that real hardware is
more convenient, but depending on why you think you need it, you may not.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"XLRmixer" wrote in message

I have a Yamaha TX816 synth that has 8 XLR audio outputs,
and would like to record it into my computer-based
sequencer, Cubase SX3. Am using a WinXP system with an SB
Audigy 2 ZS sound card.

For the money, sound quality, and flexibility; an 8-input audio interface
such as the $200 M-Audio 1010LT might be your best choice.

I just need a small, hopefully inexpensive mixer that can
mix those eight XLR inputs together and then feed it into
my computer's sound card.

Upgrading to a audio production grade interface might be a good idea. The
Audigy 2 is not bad, but the 1010LT is better.

What is the best mixer for the least money that has 8 XLR
inputs?

Adding an analog mixer adds noise and distortion. Mixing in the digital
domain keeps your options open as long as possible, as you can remix the
same tracks as many different ways and times as you want to.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:

For the money, sound quality, and flexibility; an 8-input audio interface
such as the $200 M-Audio 1010LT might be your best choice.

Once again, we're being confused with (the shortage of) facts. Since he's
looking for a mixer, I suspect that what he wants to do is create sounds
by layering the multiple voices from the synth, combining them as a stereo
output, and recording that, using his existing sound card. True, recording
separate outputs will give him the flexibility of mixing them in
different ways
in the final product, but without knowing how he's using the synth, we
don't know if that's good advice or just confusing the issue.

Adding an analog mixer adds noise and distortion.

This is a 1980s vintage FM synth. Noise and distortion 'R' Us.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:

For the money, sound quality, and flexibility; an 8-input audio interface
such as the $200 M-Audio 1010LT might be your best choice.

Once again, we're being confused with (the shortage of) facts. Since he's
looking for a mixer, I suspect that what he wants to do is create sounds
by layering the multiple voices from the synth, combining them as a stereo
output, and recording that, using his existing sound card.

Truth be known, I do a lot of analog line level mixing on Rane and Behringer
line mixers.

True, recording
separate outputs will give him the flexibility of mixing them in different
ways
in the final product, but without knowing how he's using the synth, we
don't know if that's good advice or just confusing the issue.

Adding an analog mixer adds noise and distortion.

This is a 1980s vintage FM synth. Noise and distortion 'R' Us.

Right Mike, but the noise and distortion created by the synth *is* part of
the music. The noise and distoriton in an analog mixer (which may be
inauduble anyway) isn't.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:53:48 GMT, Mike Rivers
wrote:

But doesn't the TX816 have an internal mixer? I know that real hardware is
more convenient, but depending on why you think you need it, you may not.

It's got internal MIDI daisy-chaining. It might have been a very good
idea to let the last module space hold a minimal 82 mixer, just level
and pan. But they didn't.

I played with one once. I found 2 simultaneous DX7s quite useful, 8
rather overkill!

I've got a TX802 in storage somewhere. And a DX5. Must see if they
still work sometime :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

I played with one once. I found 2 simultaneous DX7s quite useful, 8
rather overkill!

When sequencers were in, it was about the multi timber capability.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:31:18 -0700, Tobiah wrote:

I played with one once. I found 2 simultaneous DX7s quite useful, 8
rather overkill!

When sequencers were in, it was about the multi timber capability.

Yeah. But why would you want 8 of the SAME instrument? DX7s were
great. A couple of them, a D50, an Akai sampler....
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Laurence Payne wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:31:18 -0700, Tobiah wrote:

I played with one once. I found 2 simultaneous DX7s quite useful, 8
rather overkill!

When sequencers were in, it was about the multi timber capability.

Yeah. But why would you want 8 of the SAME instrument? DX7s were
great. A couple of them, a D50, an Akai sampler....

See previous answer quaoted above - multi-timbre. The above devices did not
exist at the time, and if you are good at programming FM, why not ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

Adding an analog mixer adds noise and distortion. Mixing in the
digital domain keeps your options open as long as possible, as you
can remix the same tracks as many different ways and times as you
want to.

Anry, adding the negible distortion and noise of a mixer - any mixer - is
simply not an issue when you are talking aboout DX7/TX7/TX817 outputs. Or
many other synths for that matter.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley[_2_] Ben Bradley[_2_] is offline

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:41:59 +1200, "geoff"
wrote:

Arny Krueger wrote:

Adding an analog mixer adds noise and distortion. Mixing in the
digital domain keeps your options open as long as possible, as you
can remix the same tracks as many different ways and times as you
want to.

Anry, adding the negible distortion and noise of a mixer - any mixer - is
simply not an issue when you are talking aboout DX7/TX7/TX817 outputs. Or
many other synths for that matter.

Probably true compared to the distortion of the synth's D/A output.
It's also regrettable that these were made before digital output
standards became popular on synths, then there would be no worry about
analog distortion.

But then there's also some distortion and effects caused by the
(less-than-great by today's standards) bit depth and sample rate - I
recall getting a DX7 to make aliasing tones and crap when playing high
notes on a bright patch.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Ben Bradley wrote:

But then there's also some distortion and effects caused by the
(less-than-great by today's standards) bit depth and sample rate - I
recall getting a DX7 to make aliasing tones and crap when playing high
notes on a bright patch.

That and quantisation noise on pretty much all patches.

geoff